Author Topic: Fistful's never-ending computer Q&A thread...  (Read 56828 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Fistful's never-ending computer Q&A thread...
« on: April 25, 2009, 11:29:50 AM »
I got two 512 MB of SDRAM from a guy at work.  The Gateway computer didn't recognize it.  The Dell didn't even notice that I had changed anything - worked just fine. 

According to the PC Wizard program (freeware from the CPUID site), the memory I was already using in the Dell has a reduced refresh rate, 7.8.  This other memory has a normal refresh, of 15.6.

Which refresh rate is better?  Any ideas on why the Gateway didn't like it?   

If mtnbkr is reading this, and if it helps, the memory already in the Dell was the stuff you sent me.  Still waiting on that Zardoz uninstaller, by the way.   :mad:

I also have a couple of 128 SDRAM, if anybody wants it. 
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 10:45:02 PM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
Re: A memory mystery
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 11:37:59 AM »
There are many reasons memory may not be recognized. Bus speed is one of them. the lower the refresh rate, the better. Also, your 7.8 is faster than the 15.6.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 12:04:51 PM »
I think the problem with the Gateway might have been that I had a 256 MB stick in slot 1.  Will check on that. 

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 02:16:07 PM »
Well, that didn't work either. 

Don't spend too much brain-power on this folks.  I'll probably just give the stuff back, since it looks like the Dell has better RAM modules in it already.  I haven't paid for it yet, anyway. 

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 06:15:46 PM »
Go to Kingston.com and run the memory configurator tool.  It will tell you exactly what you can do with your computer.

I've run into Dulls from that era that wouldn't take more than 512MB RAM.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 06:40:23 PM »
The Dull likes it just fine.  It's the Gateway that can't deal with it. 

Since the refresh rate is apparently not as good as what I currently have in the Dell, I'm going to give it back. 

Thanks all.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 06:46:57 PM »
I just got my new computer running this week.  Windows update offered some .NET Framework stuff.  Or .NET Passport; is there a difference?  Anyway, I didn't bother to install it, until I loaded my new copy of Word 2007, and it had some .NET stuff on it.  So, I got the net framework stuff.

Now I find there is a new account on my machine.   :rolleyes: 

Is this stuff worth it?

I know we've talked about this on some other thread, but I can't find it. 

Marnoot

• friend
Re: .NET Framework: worth it?
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 08:52:48 PM »
Many applications require the .NET framework to be installed (Office 2007 included). Think of it like Java, if you've ever had that installed, the idea is similar. .NET Passport is different, that relates to webpage logins, hotmail, msn messenger, etc. The extra user account is used by the framework, couldn't tell you what is uses it for.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 08:55:38 PM »
Is this stuff worth it?

I wouldn't worry about it unless you have something that uses it.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 09:37:48 PM »
.Net has been around for awhile now. You probably already had a version installed. It will be required for most new Windows based software.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 12:10:23 AM »
It's just a component.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 12:32:11 AM »
.Net has been around for awhile now. You probably already had a version installed. It will be required for most new Windows based software.

I just installed XP Pro Service Pack 2.  I don't know if that would have included the .NET stuff. 

The main annoyance for me, is that when starting Windows, it shows me a log-on screen, with just my account.  I'd rather it just start already.  Especially since I dual boot. 

But then I'm not sure if that's because of the .NET account, or if that's a setting somewhere that I can't remember how to access.   =|

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 11:27:16 AM »
I just installed XP Pro Service Pack 2.  I don't know if that would have included the .NET stuff. 

The main annoyance for me, is that when starting Windows, it shows me a log-on screen, with just my account.  I'd rather it just start already.  Especially since I dual boot. 

But then I'm not sure if that's because of the .NET account, or if that's a setting somewhere that I can't remember how to access.   =|

Start-->Run-->type "control userpasswords2", minus the quotes, there's a setting there I think you can uncheck that will make it not require a username/password to get into windows.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 03:09:07 PM »

Not sure if it's sp2 or sp3, but MS got rid of the autologin capability because it was a "security flaw."

If you open up the registry by running "regedit.exe" and browse to:

HKEY_Local_machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

You can create two entries that will re-enable autologon.

Highlighting the Winlogon folder, go to Edit - New - String Value.  Type in "DefaultUserName" for the String name, and for the value, put in the user name you want the computer to use for auto login.

Repeat the process for "DefaultPassword" as the second string name, typing the password in for the value.  Reboot, and it will automatically log in.  As long as they are valid usernames and passwords.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 04:29:56 PM »
The .net password is of dubious value, but a few places use it.

The .net framework is used by a lot of software applications. I would be inclined to load it becasue chances are something you want to run down the road will need it.

The two are not directly related.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 05:52:54 PM »
Not sure if it's sp2 or sp3, but MS got rid of the autologin capability because it was a "security flaw."

Must have been SP3. That's what I was trying to point fistful to, but I couldn't find it on my SP3 machine but know I used it on my home computer with XP SP2 before I moved to Vista.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2009, 10:17:12 PM »
Start-->Run-->type "control userpasswords2", minus the quotes, there's a setting there I think you can uncheck that will make it not require a username/password to get into windows.

Thanks, that was very helpful.  While you're at it, can you tell me why the Standby button would be greyed out on the Turn Off Computer menu? 

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2009, 01:54:25 AM »
Thanks, that was very helpful.  While you're at it, can you tell me why the Standby button would be greyed out on the Turn Off Computer menu? 

I've seen that happen when either the wrong, or no video drivers are installed. Also, sometimes it has to be enabled (Control Panel-->Power options).

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2009, 12:27:54 AM »
Ah, it was indeed a video driver problem.  You are my Windows guru.  [Bows]

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2009, 01:21:30 AM »
The following are the RAM modules recommended for my GX620 desktop.  I'd probably go for the 2x1GB option (for dual channel), in addition to the current 1GB stick.  Also, I'll be buying from New Egg, cause they gaved me a coupon.  =)

Kingston? Gskill? Corsair?  What say you?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?submit=ENE&Configurator=MemoryConfigurator&CFG=CFG003OptiPlex%20GX620%20Desktop&DEPA=0

32-bit XP Pro will recognize up to 4GB, right? 
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 01:30:52 AM by fistful »

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Which RAM is best?
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2009, 01:25:55 AM »
I've used all three of those brands from time to time.  They have all worked well, never any problems.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2009, 01:33:53 AM »
I have used name brands and generics and have not noticed a difference.  Unless you are doing some memory gobbling video editing or high tech video games, I doubt you will notice anything.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2009, 01:37:38 AM »
No gaming or video-editing.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2009, 01:42:13 AM »
You might check the reviews and see if anyone has had problems with any of them in a GX260.
It's doubtful anyone has, but once in a great while someone has compatibility problems with desktop RAM and a particular computer.
Just use the search function in IE (Ctrl+"F") and search a page of reviews for GX260 or Dell.  Set the number of reviews per page to 100 to make the searching faster.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2009, 04:54:30 AM »
I've had good luck with all three of those brands.
For entertainment purposes only.