Author Topic: The Safety Razor  (Read 47496 times)

erictank

• friends
Re: The Safety Razor
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2012, 11:14:48 PM »
If I can clean up my wedding tackle with one legs shouldn't be any problem.

I'm thinkin' that's more information than any of us here needed, Giga.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2012, 11:19:10 PM »
Had to share the box my razor came in, because it is kinda comical. :)

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2012, 08:59:10 AM »
If homeland security is monitoring this site, it will have a hard time proving a threat.  We're talkin' shaving heads, legs, and wedding tackle on a gun board.  ???
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2012, 09:30:27 AM »
No update from Ben, I wonder if he slit his throat and is in the hospital. ;)

Chris

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2012, 11:16:00 AM »

Chris

Paging MrsSmith, please pick up the red courtesy phone......  :lol:
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2012, 11:19:45 AM »

Chris

Ha!  :laugh:

Nope, it all came back to me rather quickly. Not even a nick. I just used a Derby blade today. I'll try the Feather next, then you can wonder if I slit my throat. :)

I also really like the shaving stick. I'm replacing the "travel size" shaving cream can in my travel kit with it. I might see about getting one of those "stores in its handle" travel brushes to go with it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2012, 11:46:55 AM »
Had to share the box my razor came in, because it is kinda comical. :)

Thank you, sir. That is awesome. I mean, it's inimitable.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2012, 11:53:21 AM »
Cool.  I'm going to build a travel kit with the Weishi and shave stick as well.  I just need to get a better travel brush.

I'm going back to the UK in April or early May.  I've heard the Palmolive sticks are cheap there, something like 50pence.  I may stock up. :D

Customs Agent: Anything to declare
Me: Yes, 100 Palmolive Shaving sticks
Customs Agent:  ???  :police:
Me:  :facepalm:

:D

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2012, 11:56:41 AM »
BTW, as you've noticed, the shave stick doesn't have a case or anything.  I've seen folks store them in medicine bottles.  The more expensive versions have some sort of plastic case or push up from a holder like a glue stick or giant chapstick.  Those tend to be $10+ though.

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2012, 12:03:39 PM »
BTW, as you've noticed, the shave stick doesn't have a case or anything.  I've seen folks store them in medicine bottles.  The more expensive versions have some sort of plastic case or push up from a holder like a glue stick or giant chapstick.  Those tend to be $10+ though.

Chris

The medicine bottle is a great idea. Spending ten bucks for a fancy integral holder somehow destroys the simplicity of the shaving stick for me.

I was thinking of getting some of these just for the nostalgic wrapper. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Arko-Shaving-Soap-Stick/dp/B002A5OLHQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1331226092&sr=1-1

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2012, 12:32:09 PM »
My Pop had a clever little double-edged razor stropper similar to this:

He passed away when I was 14 and I used that thing for years until the strops and gears  wore out.  You inserted the double-edged razor blade in from the side, and turned the crank and it would strop one pair of edges, then flip the blade over and strop the other two.  I also used his flip-top open razor handle for years even though the stropper thingie was worn out.

Fascinating little mechanism.  Tell you the truth, if I could get another one of these, I'd probably go back to double-edged safety razor shaving.

As I mentioned in the last shaving thread, once he tried the safety razor, he never went back to using a straight razor.

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2012, 06:09:44 PM »

Chris

Yup - mine came in a foil-paper wrapper, which is... somewhat degraded by now.  That medicine bottle thing is a great idea, will have to steal that. I certainly have enough of those bottles. :facepalm:

Maybe I should use another one to make a travel tube for a shaving brush, as well.

The medicine bottle is a great idea. Spending ten bucks for a fancy integral holder somehow destroys the simplicity of the shaving stick for me.

I was thinking of getting some of these just for the nostalgic wrapper. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Arko-Shaving-Soap-Stick/dp/B002A5OLHQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1331226092&sr=1-1

That's the one I have.  Good stuff - you'll like it.

Looks like that's $5.75 for a single stick - you can get a 12-pack + 3 free sticks from the same seller (Shaving Factory) for $25+free shipping - http://www.amazon.com/Arko-Shaving-Soap-Stick-free/dp/B002UBOEW2/ref=pd_sbs_hpc_2

All the shave sticks you'll ever need, or at least for a good long while.  Not vegan friendly, as noted in the comments (uses animal tallow) - but IIRC that's not an issue for anyone here anyways.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2012, 07:27:41 PM »
My Pop had a clever little double-edged razor stropper similar to this:

He passed away when I was 14 and I used that thing for years until the strops and gears  wore out.  You inserted the double-edged razor blade in from the side, and turned the crank and it would strop one pair of edges, then flip the blade over and strop the other two.  I also used his flip-top open razor handle for years even though the stropper thingie was worn out.

Fascinating little mechanism.  Tell you the truth, if I could get another one of these, I'd probably go back to double-edged safety razor shaving.

As I mentioned in the last shaving thread, once he tried the safety razor, he never went back to using a straight razor.

Terry, 230RN

My grandmother had one of those from her father...I was supposed to have gotten it when she passed, but my #£€£¥ing extended family lost it.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2012, 11:01:33 AM »
If homeland security is monitoring this site, it will have a hard time proving a threat.  We're talkin' shaving heads, legs, and wedding tackle on a gun board.  ???
Shhhh! Don't blow our cover!

Paging MrsSmith, please pick up the red courtesy phone......  :lol:
There will be no throat slitting on my watch.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2012, 11:20:41 AM »
When the hair on my (monkey)leg was in full in my teens and early twenties, it was as thick as any guy's beard, and went from just above my ankle to mid-thigh. I tried shaving it a few times with a double-edge shaver, but I went through a couple of blades each time. It's was probably the equivalent of shaving off four or five full beards at once.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2012, 11:30:16 AM »
When the hair on my (monkey)leg was in full in my teens and early twenties, it was as thick as any guy's beard, and went from just above my ankle to mid-thigh. I tried shaving it a few times with a double-edge shaver, but I went through a couple of blades each time. It's was probably the equivalent of shaving off four or five full beards at once.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2012, 11:40:03 AM »

I don't know why, but this is giving me a laughing fit.  :laugh:

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2012, 01:02:48 PM »
Well I don't know why either Ben, but I can assure you it isn't due to any similarities between Monkeyleg's legs and mine!
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2012, 01:16:02 PM »
Well I don't know why either Ben, but I can assure you it isn't due to any similarities between Monkeyleg's legs and mine!

I wouldn't think so. As for Ben, he's weird.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2012, 02:46:21 PM »
My brother had one of the first electric razors. 

It had a full 110VAC motor in it and you plugged it directly into the wall (no "ice cube" power supply), but it was before self-starting shaded-pole motors, so you had to sort of kick-start it. 

There was a little red wheel sticking out of the side which was sprung away from the motor shaft. To start it, you pushed in the wheel so it would clutch with the motor shaft and you rotated it briskly with your thumb to get the motor going.  It would run in either direction.

He got pretty good at starting it with just a quick flick of the wrist, so the armature would stay in one position relative to the stator and get itself going that way.

I don't recall the brand.

Sorry about all the antiqu-ey stuff, but when I think back of all the items  (including toys) I had which are probably worth big bucks nowadays...

But I've moved something like 15 times since we sold the "ancestral home," and it was impossible to keep all that Junque.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 03:04:50 PM by 230RN »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2012, 03:07:08 PM »
Sorry about all the antiqu-ey stuff, but when I think back of all the items  (including toys) I had which are probably worth big bucks nowadays...

But I've moved something like 15 times since we sold the "ancestral home," and it was impossible to keep all that Junque.

Terry, 230RN

Don't apologize, tell us more. That razor stropper is pretty cool. I would never have guessed such a thing existed. There's just something neat about old stuff like that. You can see that it was all built with care and made to last.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2012, 03:49:31 PM »
Who's the black-and-white dude with the facial hair?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2012, 03:51:28 PM »
Who's the black-and-white dude with the facial hair?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2012, 04:15:47 PM »
I don't know either, but that one ^ looks like he's about to surrender.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2012, 04:27:32 PM »