Author Topic: Pondering a big bore pistol for hiking  (Read 41256 times)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: Pondering a big bore pistol for hiking
« Reply #200 on: October 04, 2013, 07:12:35 PM »
I honestly did not expect an 8 page thread. So...

Best 4 inch .44 revolver?

29-2
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #201 on: October 04, 2013, 07:14:14 PM »
I honestly did not expect an 8 page thread. So...

Best 4 inch .44 revolver?

Either the Ruger or S&W offerings are good guns. Personally I tend more towards the Ruger side of revolvers but they are a bit heavier (47 oz for the 4" Redhawk vs. 41oz for the 4" S&W 629. Personal preference, really.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #202 on: October 04, 2013, 07:47:01 PM »
I vote for the Ruger since if worst comes to worst, you can simply thump the daylights out of the wildlife with it.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #203 on: October 04, 2013, 08:37:21 PM »
I'ma have to throw the vote to Ruger as well on this one.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #204 on: October 04, 2013, 09:01:08 PM »
Ruger can handle using heavier loads longer at the weight cost mentioned.

But since OTS 240 gr .44 mag HP ammo will do all you need, and the 629 can handle realistic limited use of powerhouse loads if you get the urge, I'd go with the 629 for weight, looks, and I like the grip and cylinder release better (if you have any other Smith/Taurus/Charter revos the cylinder release is the same motion, Ruger is a "push-in" button, so "training reason" too).

-But-, I'd go 5" because I think the gun looks better proportioned that way and, hey, 50 fps more or so.

I like the 3" K and L frames for the same aesthetic reason (that, and the full length ejector rod).
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: Pondering a big bore pistol for hiking
« Reply #205 on: October 05, 2013, 09:48:35 AM »
I shoot nframe sw better than ruger redhawk.  Might be because the greater selection of grip styles.  Super redhawk requires a sling or gun bearer, just like xframe sw.

Same thing sw lframe vs ruger gp100.  No diff in strength on those two, though.

44mag or 45colt 300gr nuclear loads are not too common, even nowadays.  Not certain if for critter defense a lower vel 300gr load might be better.  I recall numerous handloading articles where the author extolls a hard cast lswc or wfn at 1000fps as able to penetrate as far with less drama.

Either way, neither sw nor ruger is a bad choice.  I also own rugers.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #206 on: October 05, 2013, 10:41:56 AM »
44mag or 45colt 300gr nuclear loads are not too common, even nowadays

You always have the option of something heavier and hotter if you venture out west or up north.

My .45 load is 250g LFN over 10g Unique.  Should be about 1000 fps.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #207 on: October 05, 2013, 02:16:33 PM »
I would go with the S&W N-frame in a 4" because it has a reasonable gripframe.  The Redhawk's gripframe is a bit too big, making most grips either too large or they place my hand too far below the gun, amplifying recoil.  A Nill grip fixed this for me, but those are rare and tend to be expensive when found.  I got lucky and found a guy selling them cheap on ebay a few years ago (as in $90). 

For a field gun, I would go for a 629 for the stainless, but a regular 29 is nice if it fits the budget.  Collectors have driven the price up though. 

If your hands are large, then whatever fits your budget and is available.

The only short barrel Super Redhawk is the snubnose or a custom job.

I recall numerous handloading articles where the author extolls a hard cast lswc or wfn at 1000fps as able to penetrate as far with less drama.
Sounds like the article John Linebaugh wrote years ago. 

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #208 on: October 05, 2013, 02:18:24 PM »
...I like the grip and cylinder release better (if you have any other Smith/Taurus/Charter revos the cylinder release is the same motion, Ruger is a "push-in" button, so "training reason" too).
I shoot both Ruger and S&W.  The motion is close enough to be a non-issue. 

Chris

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #209 on: October 05, 2013, 03:23:05 PM »
I shoot both Ruger and S&W.  The motion is close enough to be a non-issue. 

Chris

Same here. Its Colt (pull back) or Dan Wessons (latch forward of the cylinder) that are screwy. I slightly prefer the ruger pushbutton over the Smith push forward if only due to the similarity of dropping a semiauto pistol's mag
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

zahc

• friend
« Reply #210 on: October 05, 2013, 03:49:09 PM »
Are there any alternatives or competitors to the glock 20? I'm in love with the idea of 12+ rounds of 10mm, but I'm not fond of Glocks, and I would definitely want to shoot lead bullets. Is there an XD10 yet?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #211 on: October 05, 2013, 03:54:14 PM »
Same here. Its Colt (pull back) or Dan Wessons (latch forward of the cylinder) that are screwy.
Same here.  I can't stand Colt's or DW's cylinder releases.

I slightly prefer the ruger pushbutton over the Smith push forward if only due to the similarity of dropping a semiauto pistol's mag
I started out with Ruger, but now have mostly S&W (8 vs 1), so I slightly prefer the S&W latch.  I'm comfortable with either one though.

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #212 on: October 05, 2013, 03:55:30 PM »
Are there any alternatives or competitors to the glock 20? I'm in love with the idea of 12+ rounds of 10mm, but I'm not fond of Glocks, and I would definitely want to shoot lead bullets. Is there an XD10 yet?

What about a traditionally rifled barrel for that 20?  It is my understanding the main issue with lead in a Glock is the rifling and need to clean the barrel more often when shooting lead.  If you get an aftermarket barrel, that problem should go away (assuming they make an aftermarket 10mm barrel).

Chris

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #213 on: October 05, 2013, 04:25:22 PM »

Pretty much any well-built .45ACP of service auto size (4"bbl+) can handle .45Super with a recoil and firing pin spring change(1). I considered buying a 10mm a while back but decided against it, as if I wanted that level of power, I could spend $8 and convert my SW1911 5" all stainless to .45Super or .45SMC, or .45Sorta-Super.

I always thought a CZ90 would make a splendid platform for a .45Super.

http://www.realguns.com/archives/020.htm

If you hand load, .45Super would be a grand application for all that small primer-pocket .45ACP brass popping up the last few years.

(1) On second thought: I would likely stick to autos that also come in 10mm, all-steel, or polymer service autos that are known as hella stout like the HK MK23-sized .45ACP.  10mm has similar muzzle vel as .45Super in the same wt bullet, but requires higher pressures to get it done.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 04:36:43 PM by Roo_ster »
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #214 on: October 05, 2013, 04:27:01 PM »

God, I wish.

There's EAA with their Witness line, though that's DA/SA with an exposed hammer rather than striker fired.  But you wouldn't need to get an aftermarket barrel like you do for Glocks, if you want to shoot lead.

The Redhawk's gripframe is a bit too big, making most grips either too large or they place my hand too far below the gun, amplifying recoil.  A Nill grip fixed this for me, but those are rare and tend to be expensive when found.  I got lucky and found a guy selling them cheap on ebay a few years ago (as in $90).  

Chris

You gotta try out the Hogue Bantam grip for the Redhawk.  It's cheap.  About $30.  And effing fantastic.  Wrist gets a LOT higher on the grip, it situates the shooting hand web between thumb and trigger finger really high on the grip frame right behind the hammer.

Big problem I had with my nice Hogue hardwood monogrip was the lowness of it.  I had to shift my grip to thumb the hammer for an SA shot, and I didn't like how low I had to hold the grip for a DA shot.

It's also MUCH slimmer than the monogrip.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #215 on: October 05, 2013, 04:36:21 PM »

XD10?  Only speculated about on gunboards, AFAIK.  

EAA Witness and some 1911s, AFAIK, are your other choices in 10mm.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 10:44:30 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #216 on: October 05, 2013, 04:37:56 PM »
What about a traditionally rifled barrel for that 20?  It is my understanding the main issue with lead in a Glock is the rifling and need to clean the barrel more often when shooting lead.  If you get an aftermarket barrel, that problem should go away (assuming they make an aftermarket 10mm barrel).

Chris

Lonewolf, a hundred bucks or so.  Add a bit if you need them to ream out your chamber a bit.  Not a great expense in the long run.  I like having mine in my G19, for shooting lead.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 04:41:34 PM by lee n. field »

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #217 on: October 05, 2013, 06:19:34 PM »
XD10?  Only speculated about on gunboards, AFAIK. 

EAA Witness and some 1911s, AFAIK, are your choices in 10mm.

S&W 10x6
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #218 on: October 05, 2013, 07:27:26 PM »
I was thinking current production.

There's also the S&W 610.  ( think that's the number.)

zahc

• friend
« Reply #219 on: October 05, 2013, 08:43:19 PM »
Pretty much any well-built .45ACP of service auto size (4"bbl+) can handle .45Super with a recoil and firing pin spring change(1). I considered buying a 10mm a while back but decided against it, as if I wanted that level of power, I could spend $8 and convert my SW1911 5" all stainless to .45Super or .45SMC, or .45Sorta-Super.

Good point, because I loved my XD45, although the internets say the 10mm G20 has slightly moar dakka and 2 more of them.

Why firing pin spring?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #220 on: October 05, 2013, 09:57:49 PM »
Good point, because I loved my XD45, although the internets say the 10mm G20 has slightly moar dakka and 2 more of them.

Why firing pin spring?

1 If you use a more powerful recoil spring, the slide will come back into battery faster.  That might cause an inertial FP with original FP spring to make an appearance premature-like.  BAD THINGS can then happen.  Like full-auto until the mag is empty.  Or a FP with FP safety to hammer into the safety.

2. More violent recoil could catch a FP with original FP spring still hanging out near/in the primer.  Could cause nasty things to happen to the primer, slow down the works, and cause a FTE or some other thing nearly as bad as #1.

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #221 on: October 06, 2013, 07:45:25 PM »
I was at the local Cabela's today, where I saw the Ruger Alaskan revolver (new) with a list price of $ 974 (!).  I also saw a used New Vaquero in .45 LC for $ 680.  I have been keeping my eye out for a New Vaquero in .357, but have not seen one in ages.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.