Author Topic: Trump Cabinet Picks  (Read 14139 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Trump Cabinet Picks
« on: November 29, 2016, 03:00:27 PM »
Saw a couple threads dedicated to some possible picks, but not a comprehensive thread.

To start off, I would like to look at Trump's pick for HHS:
Tom Price, Obamacare Critic, Is Trump’s Choice for Health Secretary
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/28/us/politics/tom-price-secretary-health-and-human-services.html

If President-elect Donald J. Trump wanted a cabinet secretary who could help him dismantle and replace President Obama’s health care law, he could not have found anyone more prepared than Representative Tom Price, who has been studying how to accomplish that goal for more than six years.

Mr. Price, an orthopedic surgeon who represents many of the northern suburbs of Atlanta, speaks with the self-assurance of a doctor about to perform another joint-replacement procedure. He knows the task and will proceed with brisk efficiency.

Mr. Trump has picked Mr. Price, a six-term Republican congressman, to be secretary of health and human services, Mr. Trump’s transition team announced Tuesday morning...

While some Republicans have attacked the Affordable Care Act without proposing an alternative, Mr. Price has introduced bills offering a detailed, comprehensive replacement plan in every Congress since 2009, when Democrats started work on the legislation. Many of his ideas are included in the “Better Way” agenda issued several months ago by House Republicans.

Damn, I feel better about my vote every day. 

====================

I have seen Obamacare drive several good physicians out of the industry.  The sort of folks who love being doctors, but finally got fed up and said, "Screw this.  I am retiring and going to play with my grandkids."  In particular, I am thinking about my kids' pediatrician, who loved doctoring.  In his late 60s or early 70s.  Published, profiled by local papers, and generally acknowledged to be the best around.  Now gone.

OTOH, our 70+ YO veterinarian still keeps his "patients" records on cards or in folders and had to hire a couple young vet techs to help him lift the pets, since his back is in bad shape.   He has taken on partners who will get first dibs on his shares when he dies with his boots, er, lab coat on.  He loves caring for dogs & cats and intends to keep on doing so on the way to the funeral parlor.  I'm thinking maybe of sending the kids to him.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Trump Cabinet Picks
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 03:29:58 PM »
Price seems like a really good choice. Well respected, and his stance should cross the aisle (though I'm sure the D's will be cantankerous, regardless of the solidity of his arguments).

I'm worried about SECDEF. I REALLY want to see Mattis appointed, but the time rule on prior military is going to be problematic. I believe it was only overridden one time prior. I'm afraid Dems will do everything they can to keep him out of the position.

While I actually think Romney would do well as SECSTATE, appointing him will really piss off the Trump base. I'm still "meh" on Gulianni. He might do great, but I would have rather seen Bolton in the running.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 04:12:16 PM »
Neither Romney nor Giuliani are very pro-gun and there are gun regulatory items that pass through that office.  I don't know who would be a better choice.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 08:08:12 PM »
While I actually think Romney would do well as SECSTATE, appointing him will really piss off the Trump base. I'm still "meh" on Gulianni. He might do great, but I would have rather seen Bolton in the running.

Agreed on Bolton. However, I don't agree that Romney would do a good job.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 07:52:39 AM »
I think boltons utility maxxed out as ambassador to the un.  Not sure i want him making policy as sec state given his neocon bona fides.

I hope trump offers romney some insulting job like deputy executive assistant to adjutant for pissboy affairs.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 07:54:54 AM »
To get around the mil-civ thing maybe make mattis sec state.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 09:12:43 AM »
I think boltons utility maxxed out as ambassador to the un.  Not sure i want him making policy as sec state given his neocon bona fides.

I hope trump offers romney some insulting job like deputy executive assistant to adjutant for pissboy affairs.

Back in the time of the French Revolution, did they actually have garçon de pisse?  (and the piss used to make niter for gunpowder?)
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 09:27:12 AM »

That would be one bajillion percent more awesomeness covered in awesome sauce than making him SECDEF. Every foreign dignitary he met with would have "...have a plan" in the back of their heads during the meetings.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 10:12:34 AM »

That, or the theory I heard on the radio this morning- a possibility that he might end of as a czar of cutting government fat and inefficiency, something he at least has experience with from the private sector.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 10:17:57 AM »
That, or the theory I heard on the radio this morning- a possibility that he might end of as a czar of cutting government fat and inefficiency, something he at least has experience with from the private sector.

While that is a needed position, I'm hoping the (unofficial) title "czar" goes away with this administration.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 10:18:14 AM »
Price seems like a really good choice. Well respected, and his stance should cross the aisle (though I'm sure the D's will be cantankerous, regardless of the solidity of his arguments).

I'm worried about SECDEF. I REALLY want to see Mattis appointed, but the time rule on prior military is going to be problematic. I believe it was only overridden one time prior. I'm afraid Dems will do everything they can to keep him out of the position.

Mattis just needs a waiver, and Republicans control Congress. Not that many folks would vote against him. I'm certainly no fan of Trump, but if he puts Mattis in charge of the DoD? I'll come to respect him, to some degree. We really need someone like Mattis to reform the entire military. Scratch that, we have NO ONE with the creds that Mattis has that we need to reform the entire military.

As for Bolton, he's entertaining but a complete and utter moron. The man has no experience, instinct or talent at diplomacy. He's not bright or intelligent enough to learn it either. Which is all absolutely fine for a UN posting. It is not fine for Secretary of State. Bolton strictly has the intelligence and skillset of a puppet that says offensive things when you pull the string. Near perfect for the UN. For negotiating with allies and enemies? That's not smart as long as we have bases in foreign countries.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2016, 11:52:36 AM »
That would be one bajillion percent more awesomeness covered in awesome sauce than making him SECDEF. Every foreign dignitary he met with would have "...have a plan" in the back of their heads during the meetings.  :laugh:

I think Mattis has what it takes for sec state and would do well.

We really need someone like Mattis to reform the entire military. Scratch that, we have NO ONE with the creds that Mattis has that we need to reform the entire military.

Indeed.  The US military needs help, on all fronts, ASAP.  I can;t think of an aspect (morale, acquisitions, etc) that is not is terrible shape.  Since maybe the waiver is no BFD, Mattis gets four years as secdef and THEN moves to secstate.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2016, 11:58:01 AM »
Back in the time of the French Revolution, did they actually have garçon de pisse?  (and the piss used to make niter for gunpowder?)

French powder was notoriously inferior to English powder.  Because of the lack of overseas saltpeter, IIRC. 
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2016, 02:39:15 PM »
Bolton strictly has the intelligence and skillset of a puppet that says offensive things when you pull the string.

Well hell, if that's what we want, then send Ted Nugent to the UN.  He's more like the premium AI version that can keep getting more offensive with each update.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2016, 07:19:21 AM »
Unintended endorsement of petreus by state dept weenies.
http://foreignpolicy.com/2016/11/29/all-the-presidents-generals-potentially-including-one-at-state/

And is it me or does rand paul seem even more butthurt than jeb, what with rands pissing and moaning?
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2016, 11:06:31 AM »
http://www.breitbart.com/2nd-amendment/2016/06/10/general-david-petraeus-forming-gun-control-group-with-mark-kelly/

I forgot about that. Trump's kids need to have a sit down with him.

An interesting tidbit I heard this morning: Make Romney the VA administrator, because he actually does have experience for that type of role, and putting him in charge of that mess would also be his "penance" and chance to prove himself on board with Trump's vision for the country.

Alternately, Sarah Palin is also apparently being interviewed for that same role. I suppose her experience as Governor would allow her to transition into that role in a positive way. More importantly though, it would cause every progressive head in the United States to explode.  :lol:

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2016, 12:51:36 PM »
Isn't Petreus pretty much a neo-con?

Generals are politicians and he seems to fall into the political neo-con category.

He was successful at turning around a nation building enterprise, temporarily. I'm not interested in having the USA do anymore nation building.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2016, 01:02:59 PM »
The only thing I've been happy with Trump about was his choice of Pence for VP but Price seems like the perfect choice for HHS so I gotta give him credit there.
Petreaus would be terrible though, and Romney not much better. Not a fan of Palin either.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2016, 02:47:51 PM »
Palin seemed to have a good record as Gov in Alaska, but I am not sure how that compares to the VA.  However, what the VA probably needs is a hatchet man to come in an fire all the unnecessary bureaucrats (redundant?) who are maintaining it as a mess.  Then they can find a different manager once that task is done. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2016, 03:05:36 PM »
I really liked Palin when she was governor of Alaska.  Once she made it onto the national stage, she sort of became a parody of herself (with much help from Tina Fey)

I also like Governor Susana Martinez, but wonder if the same thing would happen to her.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2016, 03:17:00 PM »
Yeah, I'm not sure how Palin would do in the role myself. I mostly mentioned it because of the delicious progressive outrage that would result.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2016, 04:52:33 PM »
Just announced: Gen. Mattis for SecDef.
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2016, 05:04:06 PM »
Palin seemed to have a good record as Gov in Alaska, but I am not sure how that compares to the VA.  However, what the VA probably needs is a hatchet man to come in an fire all the unnecessary bureaucrats (redundant?) who are maintaining it as a mess.  Then they can find a different manager once that task is done. 

I thought what VA needed was to sell off the hospitals, and start cutting checks for the veterans' medical expenses.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2016, 05:19:47 PM »
Just announced: Gen. Mattis for SecDef.

Awesome!