Author Topic: Trump Cabinet Picks  (Read 14135 times)

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Trump Cabinet Picks
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2016, 05:28:45 PM »

I thought what VA needed was to sell off the hospitals, and start cutting checks for the veterans' medical expenses.

That sounds like a plan but where is that money coming from? Think of the VA as a huge HMO. We routinely send people from Eastern WA to Seattle to get care within the system. If a vet needs a new liver or heart we will send them to the VA hospital that does that transplant.

Now think of issuing a check for this same care at a local provider, if one is available and the cost that would entail. People already complain the VA budget is overwhelmingly huge, what would the taxpayer think if we decided to increase it substantially to buy local care for the Vets?

Back to the topic, I am not sure Palin is a wise choice. I just don't get a warm, fuzzy feeling about her trying to tame a huge agency. At least now Secretary Bob is trying and he brought a big business mindset with him. I am not sure it has done any good though.  =|

bob

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2016, 07:46:54 PM »
Just announced: Gen. Mattis for SecDef.

Anybody surrender yet?

Not sure if anyone can fix the Pentagon. Might need to completely change procurement, give the service directly a base amount and an incentive amount, a goal, and then Congress has no further hand in the money. We build weapons based on congressional district rather than how dangerous the weapon is to enemies.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2016, 07:55:00 PM »
That sounds like a plan but where is that money coming from? Think of the VA as a huge HMO. We routinely send people from Eastern WA to Seattle to get care within the system. If a vet needs a new liver or heart we will send them to the VA hospital that does that transplant.

Now think of issuing a check for this same care at a local provider, if one is available and the cost that would entail. People already complain the VA budget is overwhelmingly huge, what would the taxpayer think if we decided to increase it substantially to buy local care for the Vets?

What would the tax-payer think if the VA was regularly embroiled in scandals that exposed how terrible the "care" was at VA hospitals? I'm pretty sure the status quo is worse than what you describe. In any case, let the government pay high health care bills. Everyone else does.

Like most small government solutions, it works better if the government is actually small. That is, if government interference isn't hiking healthcare costs the way it tends to do.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2016, 11:43:37 PM »
Lists of who has been nominated so far:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/us/politics/donald-trump-administration.html?_r=0

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/donald-trump-s-cabinet-picks-so-far-n690296

And yes, Mattis has his work cut out for him as SecDef.   He needs to be cloned and made SecState also. 

And they are reporting that ISIS/Daesh has surrendered.....Along with France, just to be safe... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2016, 12:50:49 AM »
I like Mattis as SecDef.
I'd really like to see a veteran with an attitude head up the VA.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2016, 10:34:31 AM »
I'm kinda wishing that some of the blogs and news outlets (I'm looking at you Fox!) would tone down the "Mad Dog Matis" stuff, as well as cut down on running some of his more colorful quotes every ten minutes. Those are certainly part of who he is (though he apparently does not like the "Mad Dog" handle), but there is so much more to the man as an intellectual, historian, and leader that would be better to highlight at a time that he will be going through a waiver that has only been accomplished once before.

The "crush your enemies" stuff should not be suppressed, because it is certainly something that makes potential enemies (and allies for that matter) take note not to screw with us. I think though, that it would do better for his nomination if there were more rounded coverage on him that includes the "warrior monk" side.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2016, 03:24:05 PM »
I'm kinda wishing that some of the blogs and news outlets (I'm looking at you Fox!) would tone down the "Mad Dog Matis" stuff, as well as cut down on running some of his more colorful quotes every ten minutes.

:-*

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2016, 03:44:22 PM »

I'll see your quote and raise you:

=D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2016, 05:26:19 PM »
People already complain the VA budget is overwhelmingly huge, what would the taxpayer think if we decided to increase it substantially to buy local care for the Vets?

What would the tax-payer think if this happened? 

http://www.weau.com/content/news/Tomah-VA-Veterans-could-have-been-infected-with-Hepatitis-HIV-403632336.html

BobR

• friend
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2016, 07:17:25 PM »
What would the tax-payer think if this happened? 

http://www.weau.com/content/news/Tomah-VA-Veterans-could-have-been-infected-with-Hepatitis-HIV-403632336.html

The Tomah VA says it's in the process of notifying 592 veterans that they may be infected with Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, or HIV after they received care from one particular dental provider.

Acting Medical Center Director Victoria Brahm said the dentist was using his own equipment, then cleaning it and reusing it, which violates the VA's regulations.

The Tomah VA says it uses sterile and disposable equipment.

The VA says he did this for one year, from October 2015 through October 2016.

It came to light when someone filling in for his assistant noticed what was going on and reported it.

One dipshit dentist and assistant that was violating VA regulations and was turned in by a fill-in assistant.

For that you want to condemn the entire agency. I am sorry your care at the VA was so bad you now feel the need to bash the VA.

Were you as outraged at this dentist as you are the VA?

About 7,000 patients who visited a suburban Tulsa, Oklahoma, dentist in the past six years may have been exposed to HIV and hepatitis, health investigators say.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/29/health/oklahoma-dental-warning/

bob

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2016, 07:45:31 PM »
One dipshit dentist and assistant that was violating VA regulations and was turned in by a fill-in assistant.

For that you want to condemn the entire agency. I am sorry your care at the VA was so bad you now feel the need to bash the VA.

Were you as outraged at this dentist as you are the VA?

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/29/health/oklahoma-dental-warning/

bob

Dude, what? I've never had the opportunity to use the VA. And are you unaware of the serious problems that have been reported with their hospitals?  ???

https://www.bing.com/search?q=veterans+administration+scandal+list&qs=AS&pq=veterans+administration+scandal&sk=AS1&sc=8-31&cvid=C00FB89F3CAB485E80824ACB7A4CFB5B&FORM=QBRE&sp=3

BobR

• friend
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2016, 08:16:35 PM »
I think every one is aware of the issues, it comes from being a government agency and under public scrutiny. Yes they have issues, but they also try to correct them, which is why Secretary Bob is now running the show. He was a replacement for the one in charge during the Phoenix scandal.

You just keep reading the news and while you are are it look for the "Good things the VA does" section. Oh wait, there isn't one because it doesn't make the news.

Yes the VA has issues but they are working on them. But with such a huge bureaucracy it doesn't seem like it. Sec. Bob has pushed a lot of good things through. VA research is on the leading edge of Spinal Cord Injury Care, TBI Care and has a huge mental health program. They have taken health care to the Vets through the use of Rural Health Clinics, Clinics away from the nearest VA hospital and many VA hospitals have a mobile clinic to reach even more Vets in their home towns. Don't want to use the VA, fine, live more than 40 miles away, there is a program called Choice 40 for these people to use to get care in the community paid by the VA. It isn't a perfect program but it is more than any civilian hospital or provider would even think of doing.

Go hang out at you local VA, ask what the people there think of the place, maybe you will see the other side of the coin. Not only are Vets appreciative of their care they enjoy the ability to be seen/socialize with other Vets and are often treated by a Vet. It does make a difference.

Or you can keep hanging onto every negative thing you have heard about the VA from the media and/or anecdotal sources , not from your personal experience, and continue to think it is an agency that needs to be bashed.

Your call.

bob

https://www.va.gov/opa/choiceact/

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2016, 08:21:46 PM »
I'm glad to hear from you that the VA is getting better. I wish you had led with that.

I think every one is aware of the issues...

If everyone's aware of the issues people have had with VA hospitals, I'm confused about why you would say I'm condemning the whole agency due to one bad-apple dentist, or based on my personal experience with the VA. See below:

One dips--t dentist and assistant that was violating VA regulations and was turned in by a fill-in assistant. For that you want to condemn the entire agency. I am sorry your care at the VA was so bad you now feel the need to bash the VA.

bob

And then in your latest reply, you reprove me for NOT judging the VA by my personal experience.  ???

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2016, 10:41:14 PM »
Is the VA still reporting vets to the FBI to be prevented getting NICS approval when buying a gun?  I never heard any resolution to that.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2016, 10:42:16 PM »
I'll see your quote and raise you:

=D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iZRcmBxqic

(just the first 10 seconds)
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

BobR

• friend
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2016, 11:19:42 PM »
Is the VA still reporting vets to the FBI to be prevented getting NICS approval when buying a gun?  I never heard any resolution to that.

I think it is still happening if the VA assigns a fiduciary for a Vet because they have been found unable to manage their VA benefits. They can appeal the VA decision. The VA says it is following the Brady Handgun Prevention Act when reporting these Vets to the FBI. Every now and then someone's rep will ask for answers and that it all you ever hear of it.  =|

bob

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2016, 10:34:38 AM »
I have been trying to think of who would be a good SecState pick, simply because I don't care for Romney; Guliani ain't it; and Petraeus would be like putting Hillary back in there.   And I couldn't think of any others except maybe Bolton.  But I really like this choice:

http://townhall.com/columnists/wayneallynroot/2016/12/05/dark-horse-picks-for-trump-joe-lieberman-and-ted-cruz-n2255009

And putting Ted Cruz on the USSC would simply cause the lefties have a complete meltdown.  And it's a win for the Senate, as they all hate him, and gets him out of their chummy little club...

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2016, 10:59:39 AM »
I was thinking that Cruz would be an excellent SC pick, but holy hell, the fight to get him in would be a bloodbath. I can't recall with the current numbers how many dems would have to give a thumbs up.

Lieberman is an interesting option. Progressives would have mass heart attacks trying to process a former Democrat that is pro Israel.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2016, 11:04:43 AM »
I was thinking that Cruz would be an excellent SC pick, but holy hell, the fight to get him in would be a bloodbath. I can't recall with the current numbers how many dems would have to give a thumbs up.

Lieberman is an interesting option. Progressives would have mass heart attacks trying to process a former Democrat that is pro Israel.

Unless McConnell's testicle(s) ascend, the rules Harry Reid put in place put that number at Zero.  Good Ol' Dingy Harry changed the rules on the filibuster.  A simple majority is all that's needed...
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 11:31:08 AM by scout26 »

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2016, 11:10:42 AM »
Unless McConnell's testicle ascend, the rules Harry Reid put in place put that number at Zero.  Good Ol' Dingy Harry change the rules on the filibuster.  A simple majority is all that's needed...

Oh hell, I forgot about that. Sweet vengeance.  =D

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2016, 11:25:48 AM »
You might be right about McConnell wanting him out of the Senate.  That might short cut the nomination process quite a bit. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2016, 10:57:52 PM »
Unless McConnell's testicle(s) ascend, the rules Harry Reid put in place put that number at Zero.  Good Ol' Dingy Harry changed the rules on the filibuster.  A simple majority is all that's needed...

IIRC, they never changed the rule for Supreme Court pics, just lower courts and appointees.

OTOH, it only takes a simple majority to change the rule in the first place, and now that the nuclear option has already been used, it's a lot easier to justify using it again...
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2016, 10:59:41 PM »
IIRC, they never changed the rule for Supreme Court pics, just lower courts and appointees.

OTOH, it only takes a simple majority to change the rule in the first place, and now that the nuclear option has already been used, it's a lot easier to justify using it again...

Well, sure, if it were Democrats doing it. When Republicans do it (or anything else), it's dangerous extremism that threatens our very democracy. Like contesting election outcomes...  :lol:

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2016, 08:23:37 AM »
I think every one is aware of the issues, it comes from being a government agency and under public scrutiny. Yes they have issues, but they also try to correct them, which is why Secretary Bob is now running the show. He was a replacement for the one in charge during the Phoenix scandal.

You just keep reading the news and while you are are it look for the "Good things the VA does" section. Oh wait, there isn't one because it doesn't make the news.

Yes the VA has issues but they are working on them. But with such a huge bureaucracy it doesn't seem like it. Sec. Bob has pushed a lot of good things through. VA research is on the leading edge of Spinal Cord Injury Care, TBI Care and has a huge mental health program. They have taken health care to the Vets through the use of Rural Health Clinics, Clinics away from the nearest VA hospital and many VA hospitals have a mobile clinic to reach even more Vets in their home towns. Don't want to use the VA, fine, live more than 40 miles away, there is a program called Choice 40 for these people to use to get care in the community paid by the VA. It isn't a perfect program but it is more than any civilian hospital or provider would even think of doing.

Go hang out at you local VA, ask what the people there think of the place, maybe you will see the other side of the coin. Not only are Vets appreciative of their care they enjoy the ability to be seen/socialize with other Vets and are often treated by a Vet. It does make a difference.

Or you can keep hanging onto every negative thing you have heard about the VA from the media and/or anecdotal sources , not from your personal experience, and continue to think it is an agency that needs to be bashed.

One cannot help but wonder if you're a VA employee..?

VA isn't always horrible, you are correct. You are correct that a significant number of VA facilities and employees do a good job.   

But trying to claim that the VA doesn't have systemic problems, especially with long weight times, a significant lack of integrity among leadership and the extreme difficulty of firing bad employees have been widely known for decades... AFGE and terrible leadership are the two core problems, and cannot be handwaved out of existance. Bad employees often can't be fired even if convicted of significant crimes. The scandal list grows significantly every year. "You don't know me!" defense wears thin when the list of horror stories grows longer every year and the VA makes no significant strides in changing their behavior.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.