Author Topic: Bush aide urges weapons ban to slow Mexican drug war  (Read 4732 times)

Waitone

• friend
Bush aide urges weapons ban to slow Mexican drug war
« on: November 17, 2009, 07:51:09 AM »
Notice the increase in number of pieces appearing in the media devoted to the topic of gun control.  Almost as if someone said, "OK, let's start the prep work to get gun control back on the public agenda."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/nov/17/weapons-ban-urged-to-rein-in-mexican-drug-war/?source=newsletter_must-read-stories-today_headlines
The former head of U.S. Customs and Border Protection called Monday for the U.S. to reinstitute the ban on assault weapons and take other measures to rein in the war between Mexico and its drug cartels, saying the violence has the potential to bring down legitimate rule in that country.

Former CBP Commissioner Robert C. Bonner also called for the United States to more aggressively investigate U.S. gun sellers and tighten security along its side of the border, describing the situation as "critical" to the safety of people in both countries, whether they live near the border or not.

Mexico, for its part, needs to reduce official corruption and organize its forces along the lines the U.S. does, such as a specialized border patrol and a customs agency with a broader mandate than monitoring trade, Mr. Bonner said in an exchange of e-mails.

"Border security is especially important to breaking the power and influence of the Mexican-based trafficking organizations," Mr. Bonner said. "Despite vigorous efforts by both governments, huge volumes of illegal drugs still cross from Mexico.

"In turn, large quantities of weapons and cash generated from illegal drug sales flow south into Mexico, which makes these criminal organizations more powerful and able to corrupt government institutions," he said.

Mr. Bonner, a former federal judge who also headed the U.S. Customs Service and the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) under the Republican administrations of Presidents George W. Bush and George H.W. Bush, said the still-raging battle "will determine who controls the legitimate institutions of government."

"While better border law enforcement and interdiction of drugs, weapons and cash will not alone defeat the drug cartels, these steps, as part of a larger strategy, can and will weaken them and make it easier for the Mexican government to destroy them - just as was done over a decade ago with the destruction of the Medellin and Cali cartels in Colombia," Mr. Bonner said.

"But successful efforts will require closer collaboration between U.S. and Mexican border law enforcement agencies, and this will depend on strengthening law enforcement capacity in the border region, including enhancing the professionalism of enforcement agencies to make them more corruption-resistant," he said.

President Obama has described ongoing efforts to secure the U.S.-Mexico border as "vital to core U.S. national interests." He has expressed his concern over the increased level of violence and the impact it is having on communities on both sides of the border.

Under the Merida Initiative -- a security agreement including the U.S., Mexico and the countries of Central America to combat drug trafficking, transnational crime and money laundering -- the United States is investing $700 million on law enforcement and judicial capacity to improve border security and reduce the illegal flow of guns and drugs across the border.

The Department of Homeland Security, under the Secure Fence Act, is building the necessary infrastructure to deter and prevent illegal entry on the Southwest border, including pedestrian and vehicle fencing, roads and technology.

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano has said that gaining effective control of the nations borders is a "critical element of national security."

An armed conflict between the Mexican government and the drug cartels in that country, who now control almost all of the illicit narcotics trade in the U.S., has raged since 2006. The U.S. Justice Department has described the Mexican cartels as the greatest organized crime threat to the U.S.

The Mexican government has estimated that 1,000 federal forces, police and prosecutors have been killed since 2006 and that civilian deaths during that same period have topped 15,600.

Mr. Bonner, now in private law practice in Los Angeles, said that better border security will require both countries to align the structures of their border agencies to make them better able to work together.

Citing a recent report by the joint task force of the Pacific Council on International Policy and COMEXI, the Mexican Council on Foreign Relations, Mr. Bonner said Mexicos success depends on how effectively both nations manage their shared border.

He said:

• Mexico should strengthen its customs agency by converting it to a multifunctional agency capable of addressing security threats, such as cross-border smuggling of weapons and cash - a move the Mexican government has begun.

• Mexico should move toward restructuring its law enforcement institutions along the border to create a direct counterpart to CBP, which was created after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks to unify border enforcement authorities.

• Mexico should establish a Mexican federal frontier police, dedicated to securing the areas between Mexicos ports of entry - much as the U.S. Border Patrol does for the United States.

"Organizational changes are not enough, however," Mr. Bonner said. "The United States also needs to intensify its efforts to curtail the smuggling of firearms and cash into Mexico."

He said some studies have shown that many of the weapons obtained by Mexican drug traffickers come from the U.S., and much of their funding comes from U.S. drug sales. He called for U.S. authorities to begin more aggressive investigations of U.S. gun sellers and to reinstitute the ban on assault weapons.

The federal assault weapons ban was passed on Sept. 13, 1994, during the Clinton administration and prohibited the sale to civilians of certain semi-automatic firearms, so-called assault weapons. The law expired on Sept. 13, 2004, and an effort by Sen. Dianne Feinstein, California Democrat, to extend it for another 10 years was defeated 80-9.

At least three other efforts to pass new legislation banning the weapons have not been successful. In February, Attorney General Eric H. Holder, Jr. said the ban should be reinstated, but Mr. Obama has since said he would not push its reinstatement even though it "made sense."

Mr. Bonner also said the U.S. should expand assistance beyond the Merida Initiative and focus on helping Mexico strengthen its law enforcement capacity at the federal and state levels, reducing its vulnerability to corruption or "bribe or bullet" intimidation by the cartels.

"The border is not just about security," Mr. Bonner said. "We must also make the border more efficient for lawful travel and trade .... This goal is achievable - while actually improving security -- by adding infrastructure and resources, modern detection technologies and intelligent risk-management strategies enabling us to facilitate low-risk trade and travel while more effectively identifying high-risk vehicles, cargo and travelers for additional screening."

The joint Pacific Council on International Policy and COMEXI task force recommended, among other things, that both nations adequately staff ports of entry, saying staffing shortfalls should never contribute to bottlenecks.

It also said that both nations should expand existing ports of entry and build new ones, encourage partnerships between the public and private sectors to help accomplish this, and streamline the border-crossing approval processes.

"It is time to tackle these problems and improve our shared border. These are bold recommendations to be sure, but they are achievable," he said. "And they will have profoundly positive benefits for both the United States and Mexico."
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Standing Wolf

• friend
Re: Bush aide urges weapons ban to slow Mexican drug war
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 09:14:44 AM »
In February, Attorney General Eric H. Holder, Jr. said the ban should be reinstated, but Mr. Obama has since said he would not push its reinstatement even though it "made sense."

So refreshing to hear what moral and intellectual pantywaists "think."
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 09:18:46 AM »
I'm SO GLAD we can trust that the Democrats won't touch this issue.

I'm glad they "learned their lesson" from 1994.

I'm also so glad these "blue dog" democrats have proved they will buck their Speaker and work together to defeat legislation against their constituents interests.

Oh, wait, none of that is true.

I guess we just hope they can't get this done in the next 13 months. I'm actually frightened about what they will do during November and December of 2010.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 11:32:16 AM »
Finally the Bush Administration wants to get tough on the Mexican border! =D

A little late there, fellas.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 02:50:25 PM »
Maybe the real problem is that ten per cent or more of Mexico lives (illegally) within the United States but considers itself "Mexican first."  Who exactly is selling and buying and transferring these weapons?
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 05:04:22 PM »
Any word on whether or not Mexico has actually provided serial numbers of confiscated weapons that flood its northern border?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 08:38:28 PM by Waitone »
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 06:05:25 PM »
From previous articles, it looked like some 17% of the guns we know about had US import markings.  At least I think that was the actual number.  Most of them came from the Mexican army or other countries.

I know the ATF is looking at FFL's and people who buy multiple guns.  IMO, they can get the buyers of all these guns.  I wouldn't think it would be too difficult to track down any person who had more than one gun show up in Mexico. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 07:55:32 PM »
The ATF isn't supposed to know who buys what gun.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 08:08:12 PM »
Muahahahahahahaha. Look at what happened in MD after the Beltway "sniper." 4473's are registration, just done in the usual incompetent fed.gov way.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 08:10:24 PM »
Just saying they aren't supposed to have it.  Not at their fingertips.  Not saying they don't know some of it, or that they can't find some of it in a pinch. 

I recall lots of manpower being needed to hit up all of the gunstores to read the 4473s.  It took some doing, and didn't work all that well.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 09:36:33 PM »

I'm also so glad these "blue dog" democrats have proved they will buck their Speaker and work together to defeat legislation against their constituents interests.

"Mr. Bonner, a former federal judge who also headed the U.S. Customs Service and the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) under the Republican administrations of Presidents George W. Bush and George H.W. Bush, said the still-raging battle "will determine who controls the legitimate institutions of government." "

Just so I'm clear.  While I'm not saying you're right or wrong, someone posts about a Bush era appointee promoting an AWB and you immediately start going on about the Dems not being trustworthy on the 2A.  Ah...  Righto.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 09:58:25 PM »
Just saying they aren't supposed to have it.  Not at their fingertips.  Not saying they don't know some of it, or that they can't find some of it in a pinch. 

I recall lots of manpower being needed to hit up all of the gunstores to read the 4473s.  It took some doing, and didn't work all that well.
That is what I was alluding to.  They can find out which FFL sold it and go from there.  I am not saying all those buyers are straw purchasers, but surely they could ID a few of them. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 10:07:10 PM »

Yeah, and all powers not specifically granted to the fed.gov are reserved for the states. And income tax is just a temporary measure to pay for the war. Not supposed to != does not.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

wquay

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 12:58:59 PM »

"Mr. Bonner, a former federal judge who also headed the U.S. Customs Service and the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) under the Republican administrations of Presidents George W. Bush and George H.W. Bush, said the still-raging battle "will determine who controls the legitimate institutions of government." "

Just so I'm clear.  While I'm not saying you're right or wrong, someone posts about a Bush era appointee promoting an AWB and you immediately start going on about the Dems not being trustworthy on the 2A.  Ah...  Righto.

Thank you for pointing that out, as reading comprehension appears to be an issue for some. And finally,

In February, Attorney General Eric H. Holder, Jr. said the ban should be reinstated, but Mr. Obama has since said he would not push its reinstatement even though it "made sense."

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 01:21:09 PM »
Not supposed to != does not.
<Facepalm>

That's what I was saying.  That, and the fact that they're not supposed to have it makes it difficult for them to use it effectively. 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 01:28:59 PM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2009, 01:23:21 PM »
Thank you for pointing that out, as reading comprehension appears to be an issue for some. And finally,

Riiiight... reading comprehension, like:

Notice the increase in number of pieces appearing in the media devoted to the topic of gun control.  Almost as if someone said, "OK, let's start the prep work to get gun control back on the public agenda."

The moron promoting the assault weapons ban worked in a republican administration. HOWEVER, who cares what he thinks and who chooses to publish his thoughts? Oh that's right, the Democratic media.

Please, keep lying to us about the Democrats' intentions.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2009, 04:00:56 PM »
Please, keep lying to us about the Democrats' intentions.

Um, who's the one making baseless accusations against the "Democrats" as a group, not acknowledging that many have already actually both spoken and voted for gun rights.

I believe that person would be the one, technically, "lying about intentions".  (absent I suppose proven ability to read minds)  ;/
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2009, 04:10:29 PM »

Um, who's the one making baseless accusations against the "Democrats" as a group, not acknowledging that many have already actually both spoken and voted for gun rights.

I believe that person would be the one, technically, "lying about intentions".  (absent I suppose proven ability to read minds)  ;/

I guess we just hope they can't get this done in the next 13 months. I'm actually frightened about what they will do during November and December of 2010.

Anything factually in error in this statement?

Edit: This statement was made because of the positions of those in power in the Democratic party, who also happen to be in power in the government. I'm not afraid of what the Republicans might do about gun control because they can't do anything.

Should I start crying about how the Republicans don't support gun rights enough when they can't do anything anyway?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 04:15:34 PM by makattak »

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2009, 04:27:55 PM »
The Democrats, many of them Blue Dogs, passed Park Carry thus bucking the Speaker.

The Speaker and Senate Maj. leader have both said that an AWB is off the table, at least for now, due to '94.

Got any not overly-general and falsely painting all Democrats as "bad" true statements to make?

You hating Dems as a group (which is a ludicrous way to think about any political topic), and presuming evil hidden intentions doesn't make it so.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2009, 04:38:09 PM »
The Democrats, many of them Blue Dogs, passed Park Carry thus bucking the Speaker.

The Speaker and Senate Maj. leader have both said that an AWB is off the table, at least for now, due to '94.

Got any not overly-general and falsely painting all Democrats as "bad" true statements to make?

You hating Dems as a group (which is a ludicrous way to think about any political topic), and presuming evil hidden intentions doesn't make it so.

And assuming my distrust of the current leadership of the Democrat party means I hate all Democrat groups is a rather disingenuous statement.

I don't hate Democrats. I realize they are foolish.

I also realize they cannot be trusted with my rights. Telling me not to worry when I saw the majority of them voting against my rights and their constituents best interests just a week ago is spitting in the wind.

Further, I am VERY frightened by what they will do when they lose next November and turn on the country in vengeance.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2009, 05:00:01 PM »
I don't hate Democrats. I realize they are foolish.

I also realize they cannot be trusted with my rights.

You can't "trust" any government official with your rights.  Be they dem/repub, exec/legislative/judicial, or bureaucrat/appointee/elected.

Keep your printer well stocked, your ISP bill up to date, your elected representative's number on speed dial and your rifle well fed.

Perhaps if we reserved some of that skepticism from 2001 to 2008, we wouldn't be in the legislative mess we're in now. :'(
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2009, 05:32:13 PM »
Anything factually in error in this statement?

Edit: This statement was made because of the positions of those in power in the Democratic party, who also happen to be in power in the government. I'm not afraid of what the Republicans might do about gun control because they can't do anything.

Should I start crying about how the Republicans don't support gun rights enough when they can't do anything anyway?

If you name me an entire crew of folks in power within the last 20 years that were squeaky clean (or heck, to the extent you'd trust them alone with your child), I'll drink a entire bottle of Code Red.

President Bush Sr banned the import of "assault weapons" in 1989.  Reagan signed the Mulford Act in 1967 and supported the Brady Bill.  Rudolph Giuliani sued the gun manufacturers in 2000.  Bush Jr supported the renewal of the AWB and opposed Heller.  etc, etc  Not saying Repubs aren't usually better on 2A issues.  But to pretend they are completely friendly to 2A is insane.  With a Republican lock on both houses and the Presidency, name me a single gun law that was repealed.  Not "allowed to expire", repealed. 

At the moment, neither Obama nor Congress want to touch an AWB.  The media, who ALWAYS wants more gun control, and political appointees seem to want an AWB.  But no one that's actually, you know, elected.  I'll friggin accept as "good enough".

If you can't get your way through love and admiration, getting your way from cringing fear will do quite nicely. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2009, 07:21:32 PM »

What was the name of that bill, exactly?  I'd be curious to look up who voted for it and who voted against it.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2009, 09:56:44 PM »
If you name me an entire crew of folks in power within the last 20 years that were squeaky clean (or heck, to the extent you'd trust them alone with your child), I'll drink a entire bottle of Code Red.

President Bush Sr banned the import of "assault weapons" in 1989.  Reagan signed the Mulford Act in 1967 and supported the Brady Bill.  Rudolph Giuliani sued the gun manufacturers in 2000.  Bush Jr supported the renewal of the AWB and opposed Heller.  etc, etc  Not saying Repubs aren't usually better on 2A issues.  But to pretend they are completely friendly to 2A is insane.  With a Republican lock on both houses and the Presidency, name me a single gun law that was repealed.  Not "allowed to expire", repealed. 

At the moment, neither Obama nor Congress want to touch an AWB.  The media, who ALWAYS wants more gun control, and political appointees seem to want an AWB.  But no one that's actually, you know, elected.  I'll friggin accept as "good enough".

If you can't get your way through love and admiration, getting your way from cringing fear will do quite nicely. 

Never gonna be "love and admiration", I'm sure.

However, my question still stands: what will they do as a lame duck congress?