Author Topic: Interesting $48B Earmark  (Read 1272 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Interesting $48B Earmark
« on: December 17, 2010, 10:56:39 AM »
To his buddy, who works out of his house, and whose manifesto is based on, "The rich giving more money to the poor so the poor have money to spend".

http://biggovernment.com/jhoft/2010/12/16/breaking-rep-emanuel-cleaver-earmarks-48-billion-to-pal-who-runs-child-day-care-center-from-home-with-his-wife/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: Interesting $48B Earmark
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 11:03:33 AM »
Sheesh. Usually corruption of that scale is, shall we say, less transparent? I'm surprised the FBI isn't investigating.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 11:11:44 AM »
If I was involved in something like that, I'd be debarred and on EPLS in a flash. Grr.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 01:27:09 PM »
I used to do service in that area. You could buy miles of property with four million. Now with 48 billion. Wow. I don't think there is anyone in that district that has a clue what that much money would be like.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 06:48:10 PM »
To his buddy, who works out of his house, and whose manifesto is based on, "The rich giving more money to the poor so the poor have money to spend".

http://biggovernment.com/jhoft/2010/12/16/breaking-rep-emanuel-cleaver-earmarks-48-billion-to-pal-who-runs-child-day-care-center-from-home-with-his-wife/

Particularly amusing is the comment that it could "put him on the road to success."  $2 million invested at 4% APY would pay $80k per year, which is pretty darn successful in most places, (and no, you don't get to pick some place with an insane cost of living to make it sound like less, since you only need to be somewhere in the developed world to access the interest payments) but he need $48 billion to have a chance at success?

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 07:25:54 PM »
You see this kind of lunacy in post-colonial hellholes.  Wonder what that tells us about where we're heading...
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 07:39:12 PM »
But it's for the children!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 08:25:30 PM »
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 03:14:58 AM »
http://www.semissourian.com/story/1688546.html
And the article says:
The wording on Cleaver's website caused the confusion.
So even if this is overblown, Cleaver is still to blame? OK.

Also from the article:
"I think it would be hilarious if thousands of people did not believe it," said Cleaver, who is serving his third term representing the 5th District of Missouri in the House of Representatives. "It's the most bizarre thing I've ever experienced in my years in politics."
We've come to expect bizarre levels of corruption these days, so...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife