Author Topic: Head Start: $7Billion Waste of Taxpayer Dollars  (Read 1012 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Head Start: $7Billion Waste of Taxpayer Dollars
« on: December 17, 2010, 04:06:37 PM »
Read it and weep:
http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/opre/hs/impact_study/reports/impact_study/executive_summary_final.pdf

As part of the 1998 re-authorization, Dept HHS was required to assess its impact.  The study was supposed to come out a year ago, but they held on to it for some reason.

The upshot: any positive effects that could possibly be attributed to HS have disappeared by the end of 1st grade.  IOW, two years after they "graduate" from HS, HS students are pretty much indistinguishable from other non-HS in their demographic.

Dept of HHS desperately tries to polish the turd, but you can tell they are grasping at straws.  (Bonus points if you can determine which one I altered.)
"By the end of 1st grade, there was some evidence that the 3-year-old cohort had closer and more positive relationships with their parents."

"By the end of 1st grade, only a single cognitive impact was found for each cohort."

"For the 3-year-old cohort, there were positive favorable impacts on use of time-out and authoritarian parenting at the end of 1st grade and on spanking and time out in kindergarten."

"Selected subgroups of children showed patterns of favorable impacts, including favorable impacts through 1st grade in the cognitive, social-emotional, or health domains...Among the 4-year-old cohort, these subgroups include children of parents with mild depressive symptoms, children who were Dual Language Learners,  children who were raised by blind lesbian dentists, and children with lower cognitive skills."

This is not the first study to show HS is worthless, but this time the data comes from the rent-seekers who run it.

Next time some goofball says we should, "Fully fund Head Start," call them out for the ignorant tool that they are.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Head Start: $7Billion Waste of Taxpayer Dollars
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 04:12:07 PM »
I wish I had more to say than: Yep.

One more thing the government does poorly.

Now for the conspiracy minded: It's only a failure if the purpose is to teach children.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 04:25:38 PM »
How interesting.  I am reminded of a few years back when data came out showing that the DARE program had little, if any, effect on adolescent drug use. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 05:06:15 PM »
How interesting.  I am reminded of a few years back when data came out showing that the DARE program had little, if any, effect on adolescent drug use. 

Yeah, DARE was the Republican's Head Start. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 07:35:47 PM »
Head Start, since it's inception in the '60's has been nothing but fancy azzed daycare.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G