Author Topic: House members unhappy . . .  (Read 1833 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
House members unhappy . . .
« on: December 17, 2010, 05:23:01 PM »
. . . that they have to work next week:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/12/17/hoyer-pushes-for-short-term-spending-bill/?hpt=T2

I have mixed feelings about this.  I have to work next week.  Most of my friends have to work next week.  Why should House Congresscritters get the time off?

On the other hand, they'll do less damage to the nation if they're not in session.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

erictank

• friends
Re: House members unhappy . . .
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 06:21:52 AM »
. . . that they have to work next week:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/12/17/hoyer-pushes-for-short-term-spending-bill/?hpt=T2

I have mixed feelings about this.  I have to work next week.  Most of my friends have to work next week.  Why should House Congresscritters get the time off?

On the other hand, they'll do less damage to the nation if they're not in session.

World's smallest violin, playing just for them.

I'm working nights next Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, on my regular schedule.  My first actual Christmas off (as in, Eve and Day both) in 3 years, IIRC - and out of the last ten years, I've spent 6 or 7 working at least Christmas Eve or Day, if not both (which I did 3 times in that timeframe) - and then we can talk about the six years I spent in the Navy.  Policritters complaining because they don't get schoolkid-type Christmas-week vacations?  Boo-frickin'-hoo. :mad:

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 07:17:15 AM »
Boo-frickin'-hoo, indeed. This year I'm working the 24th-26th and the 31st-2nd. For the past 8 years I've worked better than 80% of the common holidays. This kind of crap just annoys me more than anything else.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 09:10:30 AM »
<I keep looking around for some sympathy and none is found.  I know I had some here just a minute ago.  Wonder where it went.>

I've worked Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years for the past 3 years.  I'm off for all three this year. 

That said, it is better they go home because of the damage they have done and could do if left unattended.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 11:05:57 AM »
You call that "work?"

Only in the New America is concerted destructiveness called work.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 11:14:55 AM »
They should just be glad that they have paying jobs  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 11:17:12 AM »
I'm more concerned about the kind of "work" they're doing....the next Congress will have to spend their first six months repealing all this crap...  :facepalm:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 01:09:02 PM »
Boo fricken who is absolutely the right thing to say!

and then we can talk about the six years I spent in the Navy.  Policritters complaining because they don't get schoolkid-type Christmas-week vacations?  Boo-frickin'-hoo. 

Nobody forced them to run for Congress and more importantly, nobody forced them to not pass a spending bill long before this.  Sounds like they did this to themselves.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 04:33:54 PM »
<snip>....the next Congress will have to spend their first six months repealing all this crap...  :facepalm:

T'wer me, I wouldn't get my hopes up about any repeals.  I really don't expect any.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 05:57:22 PM »
T'wer me, I wouldn't get my hopes up about any repeals.  I really don't expect any.

...then maybe we should start repealing those congresscritters....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 06:07:27 PM »
...then maybe we should start repealing those congresscritters....

Maybe, but Obama is still the president, and not much can be repealed over a presidential veto in six months. And don't forget that the Senatorial house-cleaning has not taken place yet.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 08:41:55 PM »

I'd be happy if they were paid never to show up for a single day.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.