Author Topic: Unbiased analysis of tax cuts for the well-off  (Read 8083 times)

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: Unbiased analysis of tax cuts for the well-off
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2010, 01:22:47 PM »
It isn't just income tax rates, capital gains taxes were also on the line here.

I can tell you from experience over the past year that businesses and savvy investors DO look to future tax rates when considering their investment positions and business activities.  An awful lot of folks, both individuals and businesses, have been doing what they can to take profits this year at the lower cap gains rates, rather than take any chances on paying higher taxes next year.  I've seen it in the commercial real estate markets, where my eyes tend to be focused, but I'm sure others have see it in their fields, too. 

Now, as it happened those cap gains taxes won't be going up until at least 2012.  But we didn't know that until the end of this year, and a lot of these profit taking decisions have already been made and implemented.  Ya can't wait until the last second for this stuff, so many had to expect the worst and act accordingly.

I'm amused that the libs and Dems are now admitting that raising tax rates can depress the economy.  As Barack says, not extending the current lower rates could have caused a double dip.  I guess we're all supply-siders now.  But what Barry seems not to realize is that a lot of the potential damage to the economy has already been done, we're just waiting for it to take effect next year.

Shoulda dealt with this a year or two ago.  Are we going to learn the lesson and deal with the 2012 tax decisions in a timely enough fashion, or are we going to wait until the last second again?

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2010, 12:35:47 AM »
Wasn't BHO going to remove the cap on the payroll tax? And now BHO is giving us poor peons a "Payroll Tax Holiday"?
What kind of split personality does this guy have?

the kind induced by coke. yes really, read his books.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2010, 02:44:27 AM »
I can just see the Dems 2012 campaign slogan-
Vote democrat so we can raise your taxes.

I wonder how much of an effect doing this beofre the November elections would have had on the results.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2010, 10:02:48 AM »
I can just see the Dems 2012 campaign slogan-
Vote democrat so we can raise your taxes.

Worked for Mondale.   :facepalm:
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2010, 10:15:25 AM »
Worked for Mondale.

That was back when Democrats thought people didn't mind having their taxes raised. Since Reagan they've discovered they have to hide tax increases on the middle class by either calling them "fees" or saying "the rich have to pay their fair share", even when it's the middle class being hit.