Author Topic: T. Boone Pickens calls for Congress to incentivize big rigs to use CNG  (Read 5617 times)

Desertdog

• friends
T. Boone Pickens wants Congress to pass legislation that will incentivize the conversion of 18-wheel trucks to compressed natural gas (CNG).

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/energy/blogs/pickens-plan-no-longer-includes-wind
I really do not think the trucking industry will buy this hairy brained idea. 

I call it hairy brained because I see no way that a tank of CNG to transport a 70,000 pound gross weight vehicle, can travel far enough, without refueling,  to make it worth their effort. 

It is one thing to have 150 gallons of diesel, gasoline, or propane to start a run with, but a tank of CNG, leaves a big question of how far before refueling.  Liquified Natural Gas (LNG) would give more range, but presents other problems, such as lack of refueling stations.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Re: T. Boone Pickens calls for Congress to incentivize big rigs to use CNG
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 12:06:38 AM »
We use CNG vehicles at work.  I'm not intimately familiar with the refueling process, but I have the impression that it takes considerably longer to fill up.  These vehicles are in the 35,000 to 40,000 pound range.  I'm betting refueling a 70,000 pound vehicle would either take about twice as long, or travel time between fill would have to be lowered to accomodate a smaller tank.  Tank size may be a problem anyways.  I believe it takes a larger volume of CNG to travel a given distance.  Not sure there's really room on a normal truck to fit a much bigger tank.

I'm speculating on a lot of this.  I'm interested in hearing from those with more info.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 12:31:55 AM »
My dad owned a trucking business for years, and it sickens me how heavily regulated the industry is. The equipment, the taxes, the stickers, the regulations, the cops; it's a complete nightmare. Did you know that if you have a fleet of trucks, you have to individually track the mileage of each truck, and at the end of the year, you have to calculate its total average fuel mileage. You then have to multiply that fuel mileage by how many miles you ran in each state in the US (which you also have been keeping track of, even though you cross state borders multiple times per day, all year) so that you can pay the appropriate state fuel taxes?

The trucking industry has a public image problem; nobody likes trucks, truckers, truck stops, or trucking companies but they like buying things 2000 miles inland. This makes the industry really easy to regulate.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 12:35:25 AM »
My dad owned a trucking business for years, and it sickens me how heavily regulated the industry is. The equipment, the taxes, the stickers, the regulations, the cops; it's a complete nightmare. Did you know that if you have a fleet of trucks, you have to individually track the mileage of each truck, and at the end of the year, you have to calculate its total average fuel mileage. You then have to multiply that fuel mileage by how many miles you ran in each state in the US (which you also have been keeping track of, even though you cross state borders multiple times per day, all year) so that you can pay the appropriate state fuel taxes?

I didn't know that, and it's insane. How can anyone possibly comply with any degree of accuracy?

zahc

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 12:38:39 AM »
There's a reason truck drivers call the log book the "comic book".

Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 12:55:31 AM »

The trucking industry has a public image problem; nobody likes trucks, truckers, truck stops, or trucking companies but they like buying things 2000 miles inland. This makes the industry really easy to regulate.

I was just about to say that...hasn't the trucking industry suffered enough between overregulation, fuel prices, the depression, etc?

And we all know "incentives" always "work better" when there's a penalty to go along with it for those that refuse to be incentivised...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 01:04:27 AM »
The trucking industry has a public image problem; nobody likes trucks, truckers, truck stops, or trucking companies but they like buying things 2000 miles inland.

Madness! Truck stops are usually the best gas stations to stop at at which to stop. What folk be smokin?  ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 11:41:16 AM »
I'd say that T. Boone Pickens has some interests in CNG and is lobbying Congress to pass laws that will put more $$$ into his own pocket.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

grampster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 12:22:39 PM »
I love trucks.  They bring me my bacon. =D
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 12:34:34 PM »
I'd say that T. Boone Pickens has some interests in CNG and is lobbying Congress to pass laws that will put more $$$ into his own pocket.

Pickens’ 45 percent ownership in a company called Clean Energy Fuels is his motivation. Clean Energy Fuels makes natural gas-filling equipment for buses and other large vehicles.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 01:22:32 PM »
Pickens’ 45 percent ownership in a company called Clean Energy Fuels is his motivation. Clean Energy Fuels makes natural gas-filling equipment for buses and other large vehicles.

IIRC, Nancy Pelosi made a personal six-figure investment in one of Pickens' scams companies . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 03:14:50 AM »
I didn't know that, and it's insane. How can anyone possibly comply with any degree of accuracy?

[Insert appropriate Atlas Shrugged quote about Byzantine laws here]
Formerly sumpnz

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 09:42:21 AM »
http://washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/editorial-pelosi-and-pickens-investment-partners

According to the Washington Examiner, your number is a little low.  She invested over a hundred but less than two fifty. 

There is always a scam, and DC is the biggest ponzi scheme ever.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 10:40:51 AM »
Pickens never supports anything that doesn't involve him making scads of money off of.....if dressmaking were more profitable, he'd be pushing for more transvestites in public.......
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2010, 11:10:59 AM »
Pickens never supports anything that doesn't involve him making scads of money off of
I wonder how much his investors lost on the "Nations Largest Wind Farm" before he realized it wouldnt pay off.

Did you notice in the article that T Boone wasn't selling CNG, but is selling "natural gas-filling equipment for buses and other large vehicles." 

CNG for smaller vehicles with limited routes to run,buses, local delivery trucks, mail trucks, I can see, but cross country semis, I will watch for.
Where I worked, Navy base, before I retired we had about 50 vehicles on propane and and they had installed a CNG station about when I retired, but they had very few CNG vehicles, all pickups at the time.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 10:50:14 PM by Desertdog »

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 12:57:34 PM »
http://washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/editorial-pelosi-and-pickens-investment-partners

According to the Washington Examiner, your number is a little low.  She invested over a hundred but less than two fifty. 
Both are six figure amounts . . .  ;)

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2010, 11:04:50 PM »
bolt the tank to the top of the trailer(same size as the trailer :laugh:) and it'll work fine. until some jehad decides to blow up an overpass with a hunting rifle, and some tracer rounds. pickens(speelin' entenchenle >:D) is out for his wallet, he will burn the US if it makes him a buck.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2010, 01:02:03 AM »

Bingo. Although he made a s-load of $$ in the oil patch. He isnt well thought of. He is only interested in something if it puts more $$ in his account, and he prefers not to use his own $$ to start something. That's why he wants to us taxpayer $$. If it goes Tango Uniform, no big deal to him.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.