Author Topic: Net Neutrality vs the FTC (or, is Al Franken right for once in his life?)  (Read 11532 times)

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/al-franken/the-most-important-free-s_b_798984.html

The most frightening thing in that op-ed is the allegation that Genachowski has been calling CEOs asking for their blessing of his proposal.  If that's true, he should be sacked, immediately.  There's an obvious conflict of interest between the FTC and telecom CEOs.

prior aps thread on net neutrality: http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=23832
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

longeyes

• friend
Re: Net Neutrality vs the FTC (or, is Al Franken right for once in his life?)
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 04:23:28 PM »
One more power grab outside the purview and power of the American people.  How long is this going to be tolerated?
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 04:27:25 PM »
If net neutrality is passed, then the WikiLeaks hacker retaliation will look like a drop in the bucket...cyberspace will be the next frontier for "active resistance"....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 04:56:39 PM »
The Stupid Party thinks business can do no wrong.  :facepalm:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703395204576023452250748540.html

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 05:00:36 PM »
The Stupid Party thinks business can do no wrong.  :facepalm:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703395204576023452250748540.html

Safer to trust business and the market than government.

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 05:21:56 PM »

Depends on the market. If you've got a non-competitive, natural-monopoly market like the ISP market, I have a hard time trusting businesses to do the right thing. They're in it to make money, not to serve the public. I have two options for internet: Qwest and Comcast. I hate both companies, but if I want internet, I don't have a choice. This gives them power.

I don't trust the government to do a good job, generally, but some industries need some government regulation, and the internet might be one of them.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 05:44:18 PM »
I have two options for internet: Qwest and Comcast. I hate both companies, but if I want internet, I don't have a choice.

No, you have more choices.  You could go with HughesNet or another satelite provider.  Do you have phones out there?  You could go back to dial-up.  Or if you want a little more speed maybe ISDN service.  It's also unlikely that you can't get a T1 dropped into your house.

What people mean when they say they don't have a choice is that they don't have any other choices that they actually like.

What I don't understand is, if we're all so powerless as consumers why aren't we being charged $200/mo for high speed internet? 

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 06:29:07 PM »
^^^ Over on one of my bicycling websites, a poll was posted asking for the price paid for Internet service and the speed.  It was fascinating to see the tremendous variation all across the country and up in Canada.  As an example, for 5 Mpbs down and 1 Mbps up, the price ranged from $ 15 to 60 per month. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 06:48:40 PM »

This. That's the only thing that makes me come down on this side of it. .gov rules will just be ultimately worse.

^^^ Over on one of my bicycling websites, a poll was posted asking for the price paid for Internet service and the speed.  It was fascinating to see the tremendous variation all across the country and up in Canada.  As an example, for 5 Mpbs down and 1 Mbps up, the price ranged from $ 15 to 60 per month. 

And a de-regulated market would tempt new carriers to come in where it's $60/month, and only charge $50, forcing the previous established carrier to charge only $45... and so on.

I promise not to duck.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 07:00:02 PM »
Depends on the market. If you've got a non-competitive, natural-monopoly market like the ISP market, I have a hard time trusting businesses to do the right thing. They're in it to make money, not to serve the public. I have two options for internet: Qwest and Comcast. I hate both companies, but if I want internet, I don't have a choice. This gives them power.

I don't trust the government to do a good job, generally, but some industries need some government regulation, and the internet might be one of them.
I hope you do realize that part of your problem is the local phone and cable TV monopolies that are already pre-existing. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 08:24:23 PM »
First .gov will move to regulate costs.  Next, they will start to regulate content.  It will happen.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 09:13:13 PM »
First .gov will move to regulate costs.  Next, they will start to regulate content.  It will happen.

Werd.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

tyme

• expat
  • friend
    • TFL Library
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 12:47:21 AM »
What I don't understand is, if we're all so powerless as consumers why aren't we being charged $200/mo for high speed internet?  

What I don't understand is, if we're all so powerful as consumers why don't all customers in major metro areas have the option of FTTP, and 100mbit/s+ throughout our ISPs network?  If you're lucky enough to have Verizon as your monopolistic telephone provider, you might have that option.  The rest of us don't.

As MechAg pointed out, there are preexisting monopolies: 2 telcos in most areas, because one was originally a cable provider monopoly, and one was originally a telephone co monopoly.  Technology advanced; monopoly arrangements didn't.

There are two somewhat equitable solutions to this mess:
- deregulate telcos and have a federal law superseding all local and state laws, so that anyone can dig up streets and alleys to run fiber; OR
- bite the bullet and accept net neutrality, because if we don't, the internet is going to become balkanized.

The problem is that the first option is even worse than the second.  Nobody in government has seriously proposed it, because doing so would be political suicide.  Local governments hate it because they have nice cozy relationships with their existing monopoly-granted ISPs.  Major ISPs and their lobbyists hate it because they'd actually have to start competing again at a local level.  A significant number of private citizens hate it because they don't want streets or alleys torn up constantly.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 01:34:37 AM »
Depends on the market. If you've got a non-competitive, natural-monopoly market like the ISP market,

There's nothing natural about the monopoly of the ISP market in America. It's been brought in by legal changes in utilities law in the 1910's, lobbied by the NCF.

There's absolutely no reason that a dense urban environment in the modern day should have a telecom monopoly. I have a choice of seven - seven!! - telecoms, why can't you have one?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

tyme

• expat
  • friend
    • TFL Library
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 01:47:22 AM »
Are they all using the same fiber/copper, or did they each run fiber/copper independently?
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2010, 01:53:33 AM »
Are they all using the same fiber/copper, or did they each run fiber/copper independently?

Separate infrastructures.

Two running separate fiber lines, five using cellular internet, the prices for which are gradually falling to compete with wired internet prices.

Non-telco providers that use one of the above systems are far more than seven.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2010, 10:32:02 AM »
My initial post was made without a lot of thought and was poorly conceived. Although there are some cases where regulation makes sense, the more I think about it, ISPs are not really one of those. It's not a necessity, other options exist, and the potential for misuse of the currently proposed legislation is way too high.

I think I was mainly reacting to the supposition that business is somehow inherently more trustworthy than government, which I very much disagree with. I don't trust big corporations to do the right thing at all. I don't trust government either. Both business and government have a long history of screwing anyone they have to in order to make a buck and get more power.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2010, 10:41:27 AM »
My initial post was made without a lot of thought and was poorly conceived. Although there are some cases where regulation makes sense, the more I think about it, ISPs are not really one of those. It's not a necessity, other options exist, and the potential for misuse of the currently proposed legislation is way too high.

I think I was mainly reacting to the supposition that business is somehow inherently more trustworthy than government, which I very much disagree with. I don't trust big corporations to do the right thing at all. I don't trust government either. Both business and government have a long history of screwing anyone they have to in order to make a buck and get more power.

Quote from: Adam Smith link=topic= The Wealth of Nations date=1776

“People of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment and diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public, or in some contrivance to raise prices.”

We don't trust business because they are trustworthy. We trust business more than government because business cannot continue to conspire against the public without government help.

For a time, business can succeed in screwing the public. Screwing your customers is bad business, though and will come back to bite you.

For example, look at the U.S. auto market. GM will die again, and soon.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2010, 10:57:39 AM »
I mostly agree, but it's only because of government regulation that businesses can't conspire indefinitely. They don't need government help to collude. They only need government inactivity or inattention.

Screwing customers only comes back to bite a company if the customers have a choice on whether to use the company's services.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2010, 11:19:16 AM »
I mostly agree, but it's only because of government regulation that businesses can't conspire indefinitely. They don't need government help to collude. They only need government inactivity or inattention.

Screwing customers only comes back to bite a company if the customers have a choice on whether to use the company's services.

They don't need government help to collude. They need government help for the collusive arrangement to last. Without the government enforcing a monopoly/cartel, it cannot last (unless it is a natural monopoly-type situation). Someone will cheat the agreement or someone will rise up to compete.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2010, 11:24:06 AM »
I'm sorry, what does net neutrality mean to everyone here?

I always thought it meant that it prohibits ISPs from filtering out content.  For example, under net neutrality, it would be illegal for Verizon FiOS to limit access to Yahoo! at 5KB/s because FiOS is in bed with Google (mythical situation, just an example).

I thought net neutrality is just a way to codify the status quo, the unfiltered, unchoked, full-speed-to-any-website intertubes we enjoy today.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2010, 11:27:34 AM »
I mostly agree, but it's only because of government regulation that businesses can't conspire indefinitely. They don't need government help to collude.

Consider bookstores.

In Israel, it costs thousands of dollars to go through all the paperwork to set up a new bookstore.

The market is almost completely monopolized by two major bookstore chains, which have millions of dollars of turnover. They can easily afford to add another store to their chain if they feel like it.

This leads to the fact that they can control - easily! - what books are sold and reach the reader. They've been known to censor books because authors criticized a chain in public.

Do you think this would be possible if it were legal for me to just rent a storefront and put up a BOOKS HERE sign?

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2010, 11:56:33 AM »
They don't need government help to collude. They need government help for the collusive arrangement to last. Without the government enforcing a monopoly/cartel, it cannot last (unless it is a natural monopoly-type situation). Someone will cheat the agreement or someone will rise up to compete.

Exactly. I was referring to natural monopoly-type situations.
Consider bookstores.

In Israel, it costs thousands of dollars to go through all the paperwork to set up a new bookstore.

The market is almost completely monopolized by two major bookstore chains, which have millions of dollars of turnover. They can easily afford to add another store to their chain if they feel like it.

This leads to the fact that they can control - easily! - what books are sold and reach the reader. They've been known to censor books because authors criticized a chain in public.

Do you think this would be possible if it were legal for me to just rent a storefront and put up a BOOKS HERE sign?

Bookstores are not really a natural monopoly, which is the type of industry I was referring to.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2010, 12:07:15 PM »
Bookstores are not really a natural monopoly, which is the type of industry I was referring to.

Alright, but there are very few natural monopoly-type situations. Most are forced by the government.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2010, 12:12:47 PM »

Telecoms are not a natural monopoly.

Do you have a cable TV provider in your area? Does it use the same infrastructure cables as the phone provider? Is it the same provider?