Author Topic: NRA-ILA to push for constitutional (permitless) concealed carry in WI?  (Read 1305 times)

cosine

• Administrator
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=6099

The NRA will strive to make Wisconsin’s 2011 Right to Carry law one of the strongest in the country.  [...] The laws of Vermont, Alaska and Arizona will be used as the model.  The latter two, in particular, will set the standard with systems that recognize the citizens’ constitutional right to carry firearms for self-defense along with a provision that will provide for the streamlined issuance of a state permit that can be used for reciprocity purposes in other states while traveling.  The primary difference between the open carry provision that has always been part of Wisconsin’s statutes and permitless/“Constitutional Carry” is that citizens will finally be able to discreetly carry firearms in public.  As we all know, this leaves criminals guessing as to who has the ability to defend themselves against aggression.

How likely is this to actually happen? Is Wisconsin's political climate ready to accept permitless concealed carry?
Andy

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: NRA-ILA to push for constitutional (permitless) concealed carry in WI?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 09:33:11 PM »
I know  there's a lot of frustrated pro-2A people there that have been trying to institute a permit-driven system.  This may be an attempt to push "too far" and then come back and settle for a shall-issue permit system.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 09:53:57 PM »
Will be interesting.  I could drive 20 miles, and just do it.  Meanwhile, in this pustulent excuse for a state...
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 10:41:26 PM »
AZRedhawk44, I think you're spot on.

There's too many spineless Republicans to get a no-permit-required law passed. Hell, Republicans as well as Democrats offered up amendments watering down our bills in the 2001, 2003 and 2005 sessions.

It's a classic bargaining move, but I'm betting that some RINO will still try to gut the bill. I'm just hoping the Republican leadership will keep the troops in line.

BMacklem

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 01:44:55 AM »
I have my fingers crossed here. I just hope that the new blood we have here will grow some backbone and just put up a simple bill to repeal the concealed carry prohibition, ban on vehicle carry, and remove the silly school zone.
Should be a simple bill to craft, and if enough of them pass it..Walker will sign it.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 10:03:46 AM »
The only way I could see WI going permitless is through a state SC decision. I could be wrong, but the legislature--including Republicans--have shown themselves to be very timid on this issue every year in the twenty years it's been on the table.

Man, think of that. There's been a push in the legislature for twenty years to get a CCW bill passed. I wonder how many other states took that long.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 03:36:03 PM »
Man, think of that. There's been a push in the legislature for twenty years to get a CCW bill passed. I wonder how many other states took that long.

[Raises hand]  Illinois..... =|
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.