Author Topic: Did you get a bonus last year?  (Read 3269 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Did you get a bonus last year?
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2013, 08:32:10 PM »
I haven't gotten a rate increase since 2007 when I hired on with my current company.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2013, 08:38:19 PM »
I haven't gotten a rate increase since 2007 when I hired on with my current company.

Same here.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2013, 12:23:34 AM »
I could have taken a job in IIRC, Cleveland, or somewhere in Ohio anyway, in 2007.  Had I taken that job I'd be making, even with zero raises, $15-20k more than I am now. 

We did, finally, after 21 months get a 2.5% raise.  This in spite of PACCAR having 2012 be the 4th best ever, and 74th consecutive year of net profits.
Formerly sumpnz

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2013, 12:39:09 AM »

You know, I'd be okay with that.

It would be a pleasant change from having the company fall out from under me and have to go chasing a new job.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

erictank

• friends
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2013, 04:50:10 AM »
Bonus?  What's that?

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2013, 06:45:15 AM »
Last year my store got all four of our quarterly bonuses, about 2000$ ish total if you were full time.
But my store also made about 108 million in sales that year as well.
Look, tiny text!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2013, 07:14:11 AM »
We get 5% profit sharing, paid quarterly now.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2013, 08:07:01 AM »
0% increase for FY14, it was done to increase state funding. There is so much delayed maintenance at public universities its not even funny. Also the sharp increase in fuel and utility costs really have hurt their bottom lines. Same increase in costs for private business sector also hurt the public institutes, many people don't realize that.

The "delayed maintenance" is something I've heard rumored about for MOST public facilities.

Our culture has been coasting off the accumulated capital of the past. Europe, I believe, is even worse in this respect than we.

We're also eating our seed corn. Instead of doing everything to make sure future generations have it better than we do, we are stealing from their future.

We've got a culture that is using up everything that was handed to them by the past and stealing what they can from their children and grandchildren.

Infuriating. My children will be paying the tab for this spending AS WELL as trying to rebuild the infrastructure this country has ignored.

I think this country has pretty well proven we are incapable of governing ourselves.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2013, 09:42:56 AM »
You know, I'd be okay with that.

It would be a pleasant change from having the company fall out from under me and have to go chasing a new job.

Yeah, that was how it was for me in 2009-2010  =(  I was still technically employed, but there were no projects for me to work on.  I think that there was a few hours here and there for feasiblity research on stuff that went nowhere.

Finally, things started picking up again in January 2011.  I had all of last summer off which was really pretty nice.  I wish that I could just work 10-20 hours year around but it comes in more spurts/sprints than that.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Lee

• friend
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2013, 06:14:55 PM »
My wife and I work for the same company...we both get profit sharing (~7% of pay) and steady raises of ~ 3% every year. Im guessing that may end  soon.  That said, we had to hit my 401k up to pay unexpected taxes this year.  And we both work about 20 hours per week more than we used to. After reading that, I understand the taxes a little better now. We got it- they want it.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2013, 06:41:03 PM »
I feel guilty, but I still show up at the pay window.  We do okay, The Director and I.  Right lucky, is Hutch.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2013, 06:49:32 PM »
The "delayed maintenance" is something I've heard rumored about for MOST public facilities.

Thats what my agency LOVES doing. I say all the time "They won't spend a dime to save a dollar, instead theyll just wait till *expletive deleted*it catastrophically fails and them through buckets of money at it."

Its what happens when you let the dilbert style of management run wide. Oh we gots no money to fix a critical facility that brings in buckets of money but we always have more money to hire administrators who do nothing for twice the pay of our field personell who make everything work.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2013, 07:50:16 PM »
I got my Furlough notification this week.  If I didn't have other things to do this summer, I'd be taking a 20% pay cut as of July 8. Pretty much all the DOD civilian employees are. Some of my mechanics have less fiscal planning skills and will be choosing between food and rent by about Aug.  I'm not whining, I understand that the fed.gov is short on cash but I offer this as evidence that not all of your workers are living it up.  My guys should still make enough to live on, but some will always F up their lives.  Same as everywhere.

I have, in the past, gotten bonuses, but they were always performance based and for things like rebuilding a KTA-50 engine in under 40 hours so a boat could go to war, or getting a vessel crewed, stocked and underway for Haiti in 72 hours for a humanitarian mission. I worked pretty hard for them.