Author Topic: No Bible for you!  (Read 4524 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
No Bible for you!
« on: May 06, 2014, 07:07:20 PM »

It is legal for children to read the Bible in public schools, (like any other book) but some teachers/faculty don't seem to understand that. At least, not at first.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/05/05/FL-Teacher-Bans-Bible-He-s-Not-Permitted-to-Read-Those-Books

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/palm-beach/fl-broward-school-bible-20140506,0,2569780.story
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
Re: No Bible for you!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 10:07:38 PM »
Gonna make a bet that the school spins it as something other than "free reading time".

I could see saying something if he was disturbing other students. But just sitting and reading a Bible during free reading time? I don't see where the teacher has a leg to stand on
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 10:16:07 PM »
And, since the principal and school board have apparently sided with the teacher, I think they're all going to get spanked.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 10:17:27 PM »
They caved

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 11:38:49 PM »
They caved

Link: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/palm-beach/fl-broward-school-bible-20140506,0,2569780.story

There's nothing like being humiliated on a national (and probably international) basis to bring some people around to doing what they should have done from the start ...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 11:44:32 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 12:03:32 AM »
When even the pagan sees the problem with telling a student not to read the Bible, you know it's obvious
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

• friends
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 12:07:37 AM »
One would hope it would encourage the others but often it doesn't

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 11:05:18 AM »
When even the pagan sees the problem with telling a student not to read the Bible, you know it's obvious

yeah  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Re: No Bible for you!
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 12:16:27 PM »
I've actually noted that, more often than not, it's not the pagan that does such. It's the rabid atheist that has made a nice religion of being atheist and doing their best to burn the unbelievers.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 12:27:00 PM »
I've actually noted that, more often than not, it's not the pagan that does such. It's the rabid atheist that has made a nice religion of being atheist and doing their best to burn the unbelievers.

Atheism is just as much a belief system as is paganism, christianity, islam, buddhism, racism, nice-ism, or cult-of-me-ism . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 01:06:03 PM »
And sunlight is the best disinfectant . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 01:14:55 PM »
Atheism is just as much a belief system as is paganism, christianity, islam, buddhism, racism, nice-ism, or cult-of-me-ism . . .

It's just as hard to prove that there is NO god as it is that there is a god(dess) or god(desse)s   :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2014, 02:26:34 PM »
It's just as hard to prove that there is NO god as it is that there is a god(dess) or god(desse)s   :lol:

Since when does belief rely on proof?   :angel:
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2014, 03:16:02 PM »

You forgot the Holy and Scared Church of John Moses Browning.

(BBHNFE)

=D
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2014, 03:51:13 PM »

Hence my point about "believing" there is no god.  It's a religion.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2014, 07:22:11 PM »
"It's good, though..."

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2014, 08:05:57 PM »
Hence my point about "believing" there is no god.  It's a religion.

Cool, does that mean I can stop paying taxes on my atheist prayer room?

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2014, 08:42:03 PM »
Cool, does that mean I can stop paying taxes on my atheist prayer room?

Hey, go for it.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2014, 09:14:41 PM »
Hey, go for it.

I would, except that despite being the USA's second largest religion [as tallpine calls it], the feds don't seem to think atheism is a religion.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2014, 09:35:00 PM »
This kind of cr@p keeps coming up over and Over and OVER again - it's been decades years since I read about a case where school officials tried to stop a physically handicapped schoolgirl from reading her Bible ON THE FREAKING SCHOOL BUS going to and from school. They got smacked down then, but it seems they have to KEEP getting smacked, again and again and again.

It's about time the bureaucrats involved were PERSONALLY made to pay the financial costs of any and all court proceedings - given the long history of this sort of thing, simple ignorance is no longer an excuse; this has happened so often that malice is the most likely motivator for continuation of this practice.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2014, 11:06:14 PM »
Interesting how some atheists often imitate the worst examples of the people they sneer at.  The same common failings of human nature happen again and again.
β€œIt is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

• friends
Re:
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2014, 04:17:55 AM »
I 've been with 3 atheists in the last year as they died.  3 for 3 sought a priest or clergy in the last days and hours

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2014, 09:27:52 AM »
 [popcorn]

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2014, 01:33:36 PM »
Let's not be painting all atheists with the same broad brush. Like most other groups there always seems to be a minority fringe element that is loud and obnoxious.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2014, 09:39:33 PM »
Let's not be painting all atheists with the same broad brush. Like most other groups there always seems to be a minority fringe element that is loud and obnoxious.

And they're all members of APS.