Author Topic: Diversity? Why?  (Read 3230 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Diversity? Why?
« on: October 26, 2014, 09:57:19 AM »
http://www.nhregister.com/general-news/20141025/supreme-court-justices-tell-yale-audience-court-needs-diversity

A subset of the Supremes, all Yale graduates, tell Yale law students that the Supreme Court needs more diversity in terms of " ... legal and life experience among those who sit on the country’s highest court."

Why? Their job isn't to mold the law into something reflecting community consensus, their job is to adjudicate laws on the basis of whether or not they comply with Constitutional limitations. The Constitution was written over 200 years ago. Since then there have been 33 amendments, with the 18th amendment having been repealed by the 21st. The most recent amendment was in 1992. The most recent amendment that would typically have any effect on the day-to-day lives of the populace was possibly the 13th, which was ratified in 1865.

How much diversity is required to read a few laws that are all well over 100 years old?

I can understand Sotomayor looking for diversity, but Alito and Thomas are pretty conservative. I'm surprised to see something like this coming from them.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Diversity? Why?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 12:19:23 PM »
Its yale
They think dershowitz is a right winger

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 12:23:09 PM »
Hawkmoon, get with the program.

How about a well-educated illegal alien or two? Or other foreigners?

We have insufficient views supporting Sharia law, so let's add someone from Iran, or maybe an ISIS lawyer.

And don't forget, the Somali goatherder constituency needs to be represented as well.

And maybe Beijing can appoint a Chicom justice in much the same manner as they want to choose the candidates who are allowed to run in Hong Kong's election.

Diversity - one of the new religions of the left.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 12:32:28 PM »
Well, if they meant "diversity" in the sense of getting a strict constructionist who isn't an anti-freedom statist in there then I'd certainly approve of some "diversity." Maybe someone who isn't a Yale communist for example.

Sadly, I think they're talking about judging someone by the color of their skin not the content of their character. Funny how trying to fulfill MLK's dream is considered racist now.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 04:02:29 PM »
Maybe someone who knows how to read and isn't a lawyer...?   :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 09:25:08 AM »
Maybe someone who knows how to read and isn't a lawyer...?   :lol:

Amen.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 12:10:14 PM »
Maybe someone who knows how to read and isn't a lawyer...?

This; one of the biggest problems with our legal and legislative systems is the prevalence of people who went to law school on daddy's money, and have absolutely no experience whatsoever with any form of employment other than lawyer, nor with actually having to struggle to pay the essential bills.  This leads to some very problematic assumptions in both the wording of laws and their application.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 12:26:25 PM »
^^^ But on the plus side, the legal job market is in the toilet right now, and you have masses of un- or under- employed law school graduates roaming the streets.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 12:38:30 PM »
^^^ But on the plus side, the legal job market is in the toilet right now, and you have masses of un- or under- employed law school graduates roaming the streets.

A few years back I worked at a large office building in the central business district of downtown Seattle. One of the law firm is highly prestigious, only hires from the top %5 or %3 or something from the Ivy League law schools. Every employee there had probably paid >$200K for their education, not including scholarships etc. One floor had nothing but long rows of desks with dozens of computers back to back without any type of divider or privacy between them, and a legal document library. All those top top people with huge student loans, sitting at a bare desk making less than I did as an apprentice, no benefits, and they didn't even get a bus pass or parking card.

Made me really happy I got into the trades.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 03:09:56 PM »
... masses of un- or under- employed law school graduates roaming the streets.

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 03:16:19 PM »
A few years back I worked at a large office building in the central business district of downtown Seattle. One of the law firm is highly prestigious, only hires from the top %5 or %3 or something from the Ivy League law schools. Every employee there had probably paid >$200K for their education, not including scholarships etc. One floor had nothing but long rows of desks with dozens of computers back to back without any type of divider or privacy between them, and a legal document library. All those top top people with huge student loans, sitting at a bare desk making less than I did as an apprentice, no benefits, and they didn't even get a bus pass or parking card.

Still not really hard enough; they need to spend a couple years working on a loading dock or mopping floors for minimum wage, getting home at the end of a 10-12 hour day of manual labor to a sink full of dishes, etc.

• friends
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 04:00:11 PM »
Dishwasher in a Chinese restaurant . It's all up from there

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 06:27:37 PM »

What?  It's hard to throw away little paper buckets?

• friends
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 07:20:36 PM »
I know more about burnt carbonized rice than you want to. Chinese place believes in getting a lot of work outa you

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 07:23:14 PM »
What?  It's hard to throw away little paper buckets?
You try arranging the chop sticks in the dish drain so they don't fall through. See how you like it.

And thats not even counting getting them back into the little paper sleeves.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2014, 09:43:39 PM »
^ "And that's not even counting getting them back into the little paper sleeves."

Wet.

• friends
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2014, 10:02:29 PM »
The worst part was it was 30 years before I could eat Chinese again

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2014, 03:48:02 AM »
I'm told they taste like chicken.

(Obligatory, someone hadda do it, I'm willing to take the heat.)

brimic

• friends
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2014, 06:51:23 AM »
I'm told they taste like chicken.

(Obligatory, someone hadda do it, I'm willing to take the heat.)

A lot of things served at a chinese restaurant taste like chicken  >:D
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2014, 06:53:14 AM »
A lot of things served at a chinese restaurant taste like chicken  >:D

Even the cat.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2014, 09:39:17 AM »

I really don't understand make up trends of today's youth.   =|
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2014, 10:41:18 AM »
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2014, 01:09:26 PM »
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2014, 02:11:32 PM »

In high school, I worked as a dishwasher in a little greasy spoon.

I'm willing to bet you won't find that any more pleasant. (Incidentally, the owners told me I wasn't fast enough, though I made it through the summer there. My opinion was it either gets done well or quickly. I chose well, but they wanted fast. Think about that one when you go out to eat...)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

• friends
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2014, 02:22:34 PM »
I was Japanese in a Chinese place. Owner was old enough to remember .
I was so short I hada stand on milk crate to wash pots and couldn't fill the sink all the way up. My arms were too short to reach bottom without head in water . Worked there 3 years and still didn't weigh 100 pounds.