Author Topic: Diversity? Why?  (Read 3231 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Diversity? Why?
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2014, 04:14:46 PM »

I quit my "first" job after the first day. Picking fruit and whatnot at a nearby business. You were paid by the container filled. You'd fill a container to the top of the container (so none spilled out), manager would take one of your containers and pour it onto the rest, and you'd get paid for the number of "full containers" based off that. End of the day, at the actual store front, I noticed those same exact containers were filled only to the top of the container. Slightly below "hard" work (but far from easy), pay wasn't great AND I was being cheated on my pay?

Not sure if it was company policy or managers were skimming off the top. But even as a young lad, I knew to try to avoid rigged games. So I quit. I generally don't even mentally count it as my first real job. Which I had two that were essentially seasonal. Doing IT and tax work at a CPA firm during the tax season, washing dishes at a banquet hall during the summer. Neither was that bad, but not particularly easy.

Hard work by itself is not inherently noble in my opinion. The end result is what truly counts. But it can be admirable.

I was at a wedding a couple months ago that booked said banquet hall. Weird seeing the washing area again, after a decade and a half.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2014, 04:25:48 PM »
I was Japanese in a Chinese place. Owner was old enough to remember .
I was so short I hada stand on milk crate to wash pots and couldn't fill the sink all the way up. My arms were too short to reach bottom without head in water . Worked there 3 years and still didn't weigh 100 pounds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I concede! You win- I could at least reach the bottom... though that was not the least bit pleasant, either.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2014, 05:52:26 PM »
My first job out of high school was at a rendering plant in Long Island City.

I quit after 2 and 1/10 days.  Had no trouble getting a seat on the "Ell" going home those three days.

You ain't seen yuck until you've seen a rendering plant.

I remember one guy on the the receiving/loading dock eating his lunch sandwich while sitting on a horse carcass with flies buzzing around.

REF:
http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirr%20sidings/lirrindustryseries/lirrvolume1vaniderstineco.htm
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 05:58:35 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2014, 05:01:09 AM »
My first job was working at my dad's polishing shop. Dirty as hell, lil strenuous at times, but the pay was good.

Second job was DJ at an AM polka station. Which was funny, when I'd tell someone what I did and they'd look at the Iron Maiden t-shirt...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2014, 11:19:53 AM »
Is this the interesting jobs thread  ???

I have a bunch that I could tell about  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2014, 06:18:15 AM »
I guess most of us have had interim jobs of a "menial" nature.  I drove a cab up in Boulder CO for over a year.  Another one of those interesting experiences I'd never want to do without, but would never want to do again.  I also waited on tables twice in my life.  That wasn't too bad, actually.

Terry
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 06:21:31 AM by 230RN »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2014, 08:01:45 AM »
One of my most interesting jobs in high school was working at the little custom slaughter house in town. Gut barrels, salting green hides, cleaning the kill room.  I think cleaning horse stalls was a step up. Even during foaling season when cleaning the stalls included the after birth mess.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2014, 11:31:45 AM »
On the bright side, most of the jobs that I have had don't require a gym membership to stay fit  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2014, 12:00:27 PM »
On the bright side, most of the jobs that I have had don't require a gym membership to stay fit

Always found it a bit odd that I've never had an office job with a gym.  Every manufacturing facility I've worked at, OTOH, had a decent fitness room with at least a weight bench and a couple of treadmills.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2014, 03:41:14 PM »
Manufacturing places profit from an in shape work forest more. Mc dean has morning calisthenics . It pays off in productivity and fewer injuries

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2014, 04:12:31 PM »
For a while I actually took to running in the mornings before going to work in the woods.  I think that was only one season  =|

I guess I was trying to be a hardash ...   ;/

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2014, 06:44:08 PM »
^ Oakay, so you knew you wooden lath through the day, but you should have stucco with it, ebony though it was hard.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 06:51:28 PM by 230RN »