Author Topic: I think Trump is Done  (Read 3923 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
I think Trump is Done
« on: November 13, 2015, 03:52:07 PM »
While he has said some outrageous stuff already, he's now alluded to Carson's temperament being like that of child molesters. If nothing else, he should have learned that every attack on Carson so far has only made Carson's numbers stronger. He's been able to get away with stuff like making fun of Fiorina's looks, but "child molester" is one of the vilest comparisons one person can make about another.

He might have been able to get away with it if he was attacking the Democratic opposition, but I think this will cost him some big numbers. Maybe not with Trumpites, but certainly fence sitters.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: I think Trump is Done
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 04:23:59 PM »
He already disparaged our prisoners of war, and that didn't hurt him.

And along with the pedophile comment, he questioned the intelligence of Iowans and Americans.

His supporters won't care. I suspect the people that go for Trump are those who just see any criticism as political correctness run amok.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 04:24:37 PM »
I don't know if he's done.

I am (and have been) willing to vote for him IF he's the nominee, but I don't trust him.

He hasn't changed that position one way or another.

He may be done, but I'm not sure that this is enough to do so. His current supporters may rightly understand it at just more Trumpean bombast and hyperbole.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 04:43:31 PM »
I dunno. I agree with both of you that his outrageous comments have not hurt him yet. It's just my personal opinion that the "child molester" comparison is pretty sick and crosses the line (or at least should) even for his more ardent supporters.

Regardless of my agreement with many of his points, I had and have no plans to vote for him even if he gets the nomination, because someone who gets his feelings hurt that easy and has to go for the teenage girl responses simply has no business in the oval office, IMO. I don't want someone that volatile anywhere near stuff that can level continents.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 04:52:20 PM »
I dunno. I agree with both of you that his outrageous comments have not hurt him yet. It's just my personal opinion that the "child molester" comparison is pretty sick and crosses the line (or at least should) even for his more ardent supporters.

Regardless of my agreement with many of his points, I had and have no plans to vote for him even if he gets the nomination, because someone who gets his feelings hurt that easy and has to go for the teenage girl responses simply has no business in the oval office, IMO. I don't want someone that volatile anywhere near stuff that can level continents.

I don't want anyone deluded enough to be a Leftist anywhere near the "nuclear football" yet we have had them, and will continue to have them as POTUS now and then.

As awful as Trump is or would be, probably the POTUS equivalent of Jesse Ventura as governor of Minnesota, it would be better than Bernie, Hillary, or Jeb! from avoiding both (some of) the Leftists, and the "Legacy/Establishment" candidates.

Although I'm kind of laughing at myself for feeling this way too... because arguably, that was what propelled Hitler to power, granted it was not the popular vote, but the fact that half of Germany was more worried about the Communists than the NAZI's, and the other half was just desperate for someone who was loud, forceful, and would "Stand up for Germany"...  :rofl:
I promise not to duck.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 05:11:38 PM »
I think he has all the support that he's going to get.

He has high negatives. As the other candidates drop out their supporters will mostly shift to non-Trump candidates and so while his percentage will remain the same theirs will grow and eclipse him.

This will enrage him and he'll go further off the rails and soon he will lose a lot of support. Maybe not the the economically ignorant blockheads that form the core of his support but the folks who like the plain speakin' tough talkn' act he puts on. Once they see that he may well be literally insane as well as a huge danger to the country if elected they'll back off.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 05:13:23 PM »
Ben, they don't care. The Trump voter simply doesn't care. So he kinda-sorta-but-not-really said that another candidate could be compared to a child molester, in a certain way. Trump supporters don't care about that. And like makattak said, they understand that it's just Trump being hyperbolic about everything, anyhow.

Were it some other candidate than Mrs. Clinton, I probably wouldn't vote for Trump. If it's her or Trump, though, I'd probably vote for him. I despise her more than Obama, so that's saying something.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 06:16:41 PM »
Hillary is still a viable candidate, so don't rule Trump out for his verbal diarrhea.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2015, 06:24:45 PM »

As awful as Trump is or would be, probably the POTUS equivalent of Jesse Ventura as governor of Minnesota, it would be better than Bernie, Hillary, or Jeb! from avoiding both (some of) the Leftists, and the "Legacy/Establishment" candidates.

This, so much
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2015, 06:33:17 PM »
Hillary is still a viable candidate, so don't rule Trump out for his verbal diarrhea.

Sadly not just viable, but it looks like she has a large majority of the super delegate votes wrapped up. They're having a democratic debate tomorrow, and apparently half the news organizations didn't even know about it. The DNC is wrapping things up for her with a big red bow.

I'm not sure that I would vote for Trump (or several others in the Republican field) over voting a write-in, even with Hillary running. I'm just feeling about done with "better than the dem".

Though if anything would get me to vote "better than the dem (again!), it would be Hillary Clinton.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2015, 06:37:14 PM »
Sadly not just viable, but it looks like she has a large majority of the super delegate votes wrapped up. They're having a democratic debate tomorrow, and apparently half the news organizations didn't even know about it. The DNC is wrapping things up for her with a big red bow.

I'm not sure that I would vote for Trump (or several others in the Republican field) over voting a write-in, even with Hillary running. I'm just feeling about done with "better than the dem".

Though if anything would get me to vote "better than the dem (again!), it would be Hillary Clinton.

Yep, another election of not voting for the democrat.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2015, 06:38:27 PM »

She has to win the primary or caucus in those states first. I got a feeling Sanders may get a few of those.

Uranus is a gas giant.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2015, 06:47:20 PM »
He's old and she allegedly has a condition and possible legal issues. Neither of them might even make it to the convention.

Helloooooooooooo Joe!
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2015, 07:29:53 PM »
I don't know if  he's done  but his tactics are screwier than Custer's at the Little  Bighorn.
Attack Hillary, Trump, don't get so vicious with a fellow traveler.....you may want him in your cabinet.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2015, 07:41:24 PM »
Attack Hillary, Trump, don't get so vicious with a fellow traveler.....you may want him in your cabinet.

Or as your VEEP
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2015, 09:10:31 PM »
Trump's stock just went up with nativists not possessed with deep thought. France proves immigration needs to be tightly controlled. Anyone who will not discuss immigration and take firm steps to fix it cannot be a candidate. Not that I believe Trump could ever deport 11 million, nor should he, but the build a wall chorus just got louder.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2015, 11:14:59 PM »
Trump gets much of his support from folks who wan America to stay America and not become some third world dung hole.  The worst ruling class this country has ever had has for the last few decades done its best to swamp Americans with immiscible immigrants.  Many Americans have gotten fed up with their schools transformation into holding pens for the dregs of humanity while Americans pay for the privilege.

Also, those who see the damage "free" trade has done support Trump.  Last, Trump has made noise about not socializing/nationalizing the losses of the financial sector, which has grown from having its fingers in 10pct to 30pct of the economy.

The first (and to a lesser degree, the second and third) are existential issues.  If Trump or Cruz gets elected and actually addresses them effectively, we may avoid the consequences of making amelioration impossible via legal & political means.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2015, 01:23:41 AM »
I had thought his numbers may have topped out.   Until Paris.

Now with the deaths of possibly several hundred at the hands of Non-Native terrorists, the call to secure the borders is beginning to grow louder.  And if not done soon may bring out the torches and pitchforks.  "Comprehensive Immigration Reform" as spouted by the D's and Establishment R's is deader then Charles Martel.   And any R that talked about NOT deporting them is sunk.  No way will they get the nomination, which is why the establishment is panicking and looking to draft Romney.   :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:  Which is also a deadletter.  The establishment either needs to get on board with the rest of the party or they are done.

While Ted's plan doesn't outright say "Deport them all" the things in there will cause many to self deport and most of balance to be deported.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• friend

brimic

• friends
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2015, 01:04:20 PM »
I had thought his numbers may have topped out.   Until Paris.

Now with the deaths of possibly several hundred at the hands of Non-Native terrorists, the call to secure the borders is beginning to grow louder.  And if not done soon may bring out the torches and pitchforks.  "Comprehensive Immigration Reform" as spouted by the D's and Establishment R's is deader then Charles Martel.   And any R that talked about NOT deporting them is sunk.  No way will they get the nomination, which is why the establishment is panicking and looking to draft Romney.   :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:  Which is also a deadletter.  The establishment either needs to get on board with the rest of the party or they are done.

While Ted's plan doesn't outright say "Deport them all" the things in there will cause many to self deport and most of balance to be deported.

All of that.
There are almost certain to be more 'Paris events' in europe ans the US during this election cycle.
While initially I really enjoyed Trump's message and his calling out of rino candidates for their wishy-washy hand-wringing stances, I don't trust him as a person.  I have a feeling he's a democratic operative punking the republican base.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2015, 01:54:08 PM »
Yes, I may need to reevaluate, taking my own bias out of the equation. If we have any type of attack here, especially if related to Syrians, or people posing as Syrians on documentation, that's going to be a game changer and I think regardless of his abilities, it will greatly boost Trump based on his rhetoric, regardless of if he'd be able to do anything as president or not. Though I'd rather see it boost Cruz.

At some point people who say the phrase, "radical Islam" may no longer be MSM pariahs.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2015, 03:33:58 PM »
Yes, I may need to reevaluate, taking my own bias out of the equation. If we have any type of attack here, especially if related to Syrians, or people posing as Syrians on documentation, that's going to be a game changer and I think regardless of his abilities, it will greatly boost Trump based on his rhetoric, regardless of if he'd be able to do anything as president or not. Though I'd rather see it boost Cruz.

At some point people who say the phrase, "radical Islam" may no longer be MSM pariahs.

My step-grandmother emailed me the other day that the current administration is going to orchestrate an attack here on US soil so that POTUS can declare a State of Emergency and issue an executive order maintaining himself in the White House until the emergency is averted.  He will draw blood from an "enemy," gaining support, and next thing you know, boom, he's the Emperor of the New American Empire.

As to the OP, I worry.  Trump has always been out for Trump.  What's his play here?  Is there some hidden agenda, or is it all just an ego stroke to become one of the most powerful men in the world?
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2015, 04:47:56 PM »
My step-grandmother emailed me the other day that the current administration is going to orchestrate an attack here on US soil so that POTUS can declare a State of Emergency and issue an executive order maintaining himself in the White House until the emergency is averted.  He will draw blood from an "enemy," gaining support, and next thing you know, boom, he's the Emperor of the New American Empire.

I'm not sure the military would allow that. 

grampster

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2015, 05:38:54 PM »
France kinda sorta did that today by extending "special powers" for 3 months. :police:
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2015, 06:59:28 PM »
The U.S. Constitution does not contain any "special powers" clause that would allow the POTUS to declare anything that would delay the expiration of his term of office.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design