Author Topic: McDonald's Happy Meals  (Read 20811 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
McDonald's Happy Meals
« on: November 05, 2010, 10:18:19 AM »
First, San Francisco has banned Happy Meals:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101103/hl_nm/us_mcdonalds_toys

Ok, ok, it's California, and specifically, San Francisco. They're nuts, I'm not concerned.

However, NOW we have lawyers coming after McDonald's for the Happy Meals:

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/san-francisco-s-ban-happy-meals-won-t-af

It's cigarettes part II.

Here's the money quote:

“It is also unfair to their parents because it makes a parent’s job very hard and it inculcates a lifetime of Big Mac Attacks."

Wow. Just wow.

Nope, nothing wrong with our legal system, nothing to see here, move along.

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: McDonald's Happy Meals
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 11:32:44 AM »
It is also unfair to their parents because it makes a parent’s job very hard .....
:'( :'(
Boo-hoo....boo - hoo......

:facepalm:  Good Grief!
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 01:06:24 PM »
Good.  I hope more places ban them.  If the not-very-healthy food weren't bad enough, they are taking advantage of psychological tricks to sell that food to kids.  That's not good.

I'm all for marijuana being legalized, but that doesn't mean head shops should offer toys with marijuana in order to appeal to children.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 01:07:52 PM »
I didn't know that toys and pretty boxes were psychological tricks.  :laugh:  I suppose next, we'll ban the mazes on the backs of paper place-mats, and the crayons that go with them.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 01:18:26 PM »
McDonalds is probably doing us a favor.

Parents that are so weak that their children whine/bully/manipulate them in to excessive Happy Meals are very likely to fail at other basic parenting tasks and turn out non-useful members of society.  The Happy Meal toys mark them for the rest of us.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 01:28:12 PM »
Good.  I hope more places ban them.  If the not-very-healthy food weren't bad enough, they are taking advantage of psychological tricks to sell that food to kids.  That's not good.

I'm all for marijuana being legalized, but that doesn't mean head shops should offer toys with marijuana in order to appeal to children.

Wow.

I guess we should start outlawing candy, too. It's not healthy.

Sweet cereals as well. Some of those have TOYS in them!

We can't trust parents to do the right thing. Thus we must outlaw guns junk food. IT'S FOR THE CHILDREN!!!

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

tyme

• expat
  • friend
    • TFL Library
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 01:55:13 PM »
I would be quite happy to return to a belief in absolute personal responsibility, along with a belief that islands, and princesses, and God exist, but I can't get there from here.  It's magicians all the way down.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 01:59:14 PM »
You left out the unicorns.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 02:03:33 PM »
I would be quite happy to return to a belief in absolute personal responsibility, along with a belief that islands, and princesses, and God exist, but I can't get there from here.  It's magicians all the way down.

Yep. Time to outlaw guns, then. Can't trust people to be responsible.

We really ought to start on cars, too. Don't get me started on those dangerous hazards.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 02:21:54 PM »
When they outlaw Happy Meals, only outlaws will have Happy Meals.
 =D
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 02:25:27 PM »

You realize that the motives of politicians banning fast food, cigarettes, etc isn't even related one bit to public health, right?

For the Children! is such a nice cover and opposition breaker, though...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

tyme

• expat
  • friend
    • TFL Library
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 02:45:01 PM »
Since when does anything that can be presented as "for the children" automatically become unethical?

Yep. Time to outlaw guns, then. Can't trust people to be responsible.

We really ought to start on cars, too. Don't get me started on those dangerous hazards.

Right, because unhealthy food is very similar to guns and cars.

We don't allow restaurants to lace food with certain toxins even if they'd improve the taste of the food.  Why not?  Why aren't you all campaigning to allow this?

You realize that the motives of politicians...

Even corrupt, vote-grubbing politicians and mindless tree-hugging liberal groupies are right on occasion.  I happen to think this is one of them.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 02:46:28 PM »
Since when does anything that can be presented as "for the children" automatically become unethical?

We don't allow restaurants to lace food with certain toxins even if they'd improve the taste of the food.  Why not?  Why aren't you all campaigning to allow this?

Why do you hate the poor?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 04:36:19 PM »

McDonald's food, despite what many think, is not actually toxic.  It's unhealthy in large quanities.  Which falls squarely in my "No *expletive deleted*it." catagory.

If people want to be fat, and raise fat children, who enjoy McRib's that's their buisness. And neither you, nor I , nor the Gov. of San Fran has any buisness getting involved.

I *might* have a little sympathy for this if anyone was trying to say that Happy Meals were a healthy, balanced meal.  But that's not happening.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2010, 05:31:31 PM »

Plenty of people here in northern California feel the exact same way.  Which is exactly what is wrong with this state. 

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2010, 06:43:41 PM »
Maybe I give tyme too much credit, but I can't help suspecting he doesn't really mean it. He's just stringing us along until he can compare Happy Meals to, for example, marijuana. And at the end, he points out that banning one is just as stupid and evil as banning the other.

Please?

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2010, 07:22:08 PM »

Where are you, and why do you claim you can't get there from here?  have you tried earth google?  Have you stopped at a gas station to get a cheap roadmap?  Are you afraid to stop and ask directions? 

BTW -- you also left out mermaids.   [tinfoil] [popcorn] [popcorn] :lol: :lol: :lol:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2010, 07:46:05 PM »
If the not-very-healthy food weren't bad enough, they are taking advantage of psychological tricks to sell that food to kids.

I'm still wondering about this. I presume it refers to the enticing name, the toy, and the kid-friendly packaging (which I think is just a paper bag now). Those are very straight-forward, so I'm trying to figure out how they're a "psychological trick." If some breathless Christian denounced Halloween candy as a psychological trick to interest young people in witchcraft and slutty costumes, I think we would all enjoy laughing at such a person.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2010, 09:15:20 PM »
Less then 100 years ago the biggest killer of children was hunger and malnutrition.   

Being fat at any time before say 1940 was a sign of wealth and prosperity.

Let the farking parents, parent.  And if they do it poorly then the kids can either fail or rise above their parents.  Their future is what they make of it.   It's not the gorram .gov's job to tell you what can or cannot eat.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2010, 09:32:07 PM »
McDonalds is the last refuge for Darwinism.....no wonder the liberals want to outlaw it...
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2010, 10:44:59 PM »
Happy Meals are a great way to feed and entertain kids from time to time for very little money.  
PlayPlaces are, in addition to being magnificent monuments to the concept of minimal-liability play structures, great places for kids to blow off some steam indoors.  I've love to have kiddo the older pay outside, but the fifteen month old invariably gets soggy and frozen.  Indoor cheap options are good.

Free wi-fi is not bad either, nor is the latest re-design to make the places somewhat attractive and less plastic-y and uncomfortable.  

I can out-liberal your "fast food is evil" position with my "Why do you hate poor people?" position any day, no contest.   =D

If making unhealthy food fun for kids is evil and should be banned, why isn't there a plan to ban Chuck E. Cheese?  Oh, right, it costs $30 for a family to go there and get something to eat and play for a while.  Social engineering, of course, is something we (and by we, I mean not me, seein' as how I'm one of the faceless poor people these guys are trying to engineer) do to poor people.  

Hm, Whole Foods et al sell organic free-trade chocolates with little bug-themed trading cards.  Better outlaw those.  Wouldn't want little Hayden, Kayden, and Kennedy getting their hands on that stuff and getting the idea that junk food is fun.  Oh, right, the legislators will sure their kids get properly shuttled by their nannies to their tennis lessons, so it's ok.  It's just The Poor that we (again, we meaning not me) need to protect from themselves.  

Stop oppressing the proletariat.

/raving liberal BW alter-ego

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2010, 11:09:18 PM »
And that's thread win. The lady can't even afford an avatar anymore. And you want to give her a Sad Meal.  :'(  =)

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2010, 11:14:00 PM »
And that's thread win. The lady can't even afford an avatar anymore. And you want to give her a Sad Meal.  :'(  =)

Doubleyew-tee-eff.  I didn't even realize it was gone until you said something.  I think it was saved to the stbx's photobucket, so not unexpected.  It was time.  Off to find a new avi.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2010, 11:34:59 PM »

There's nothing unhealthy about McDonalds food.

By which I mean, unlike the stereotype, it contains nothing very diffrent from what you would expect, chmeically, about a hamburger packed between two loaves of bread. It's a piece of meat between two loaves of bread.

There's nothing wrong about eating at McDonalds unless you eat there too often and maintain a sedentary lifestyle. If you take meat home, cook it, place it between two slabs of bread and wolf-down the entire thing ever day and then refuse to move, guess what? You're going to get fat. And eventually sick.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2010, 11:49:06 PM »
I would be quite happy to return to a belief in absolute personal responsibility, along with a belief that islands, and princesses, and God exist, but I can't get there from here. 

Let's try this one.

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner