Author Topic: McDonald's Happy Meals  (Read 20810 times)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: McDonald's Happy Meals
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2010, 12:04:19 AM »
"The San Francisco law would allow toys to be given away with kids' meals that have less than 600 calories, contain fruits and vegetables, and include beverages without excessive fat or sugar."

So, you can give a toy with a veggie burger and a bottle of Shiner, but not with a little-bitty real burger, fries and a soda?

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2010, 12:13:48 AM »
"The San Francisco law would allow toys to be given away with kids' meals that have less than 600 calories, contain fruits and vegetables, and include beverages without excessive fat or sugar."

So, you can give a toy with a veggie burger and a bottle of Shiner, but not with a little-bitty real burger, fries and a soda?

I'm guessing chocolate milk is "excessive fat."  My poor scrawny kid, beset on all sides by well-meaning people trying to get her to drink reduced-fat milk.  Kid is in something like the tenth percentile for weight, but .gov wants me to give her 2% milk because too many other kids are fat and lazy.  Nice.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2010, 12:43:38 AM »
What is the essence of the modern welfare state but one big "happy meal?" 
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2010, 01:09:46 AM »
Let's try this one.

God: not pictured

Fixed.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2010, 01:32:38 AM »
since fistful wanted it added......

No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2010, 01:33:53 AM »
Your god is a hippy. Why am I not surprised.  ;/  :P

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2010, 01:47:09 AM »
Heretics. Ye shall know God:

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2010, 08:22:21 AM »
And that's thread win. The lady can't even afford an avatar anymore. And you want to give her a Sad Meal.  :'(  =)

LMAO.

But, yeah, what BW wrote...with bells on it.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2010, 08:26:37 AM »
I'm guessing chocolate milk is "excessive fat."  My poor scrawny kid, beset on all sides by well-meaning people trying to get her to drink reduced-fat milk.  Kid is in something like the tenth percentile for weight, but .gov wants me to give her 2% milk because too many other kids are fat and lazy.  Nice.

My 4YO daughter is in the same boat.  She is off the charts to the left, mass-wise.  She makes up for it in rage personality and spunk.

Your god is a hippy. Why am I not surprised.  ;/  :P

But, he gets points for being a tiger killin' hippy.  Or Navi.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2010, 10:34:37 AM »
Heretics. Ye shall know God:

Well played.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2010, 12:27:58 PM »
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2010, 12:39:40 PM »
Happiness,
Is a warm meal
Munch, munch, chew, chew

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2010, 12:58:15 PM »
Like BW and Roo_ster, my kids are way underweight as well.  Our family doc even tells us to let them eat what they want and drink as much whole milk as they'd like (as long as it isn't replacing a meal).

I just bought my 2yo a Chicken Nugget w/fries Happy Meal while we were out running errands.  I counted the calories.  Including the chocolate milk, the total was 590.  Fat, Sodium, etc were within reason as well.  You could eat much worse at a "sit down" restaurant.  And spend more money...

Chris

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2010, 01:26:33 PM »
Like BW and Roo_ster, my kids are way underweight as well.  Our family doc even tells us to let them eat what they want and drink as much whole milk as they'd like (as long as it isn't replacing a meal).

I just bought my 2yo a Chicken Nugget w/fries Happy Meal while we were out running errands.  I counted the calories.  Including the chocolate milk, the total was 590.  Fat, Sodium, etc were within reason as well.  You could eat much worse at a "sit down" restaurant.  And spend more money...

Chris

Sorry, but chickens don't have nuggets, only roosters do. =D

Both my girls are extremely skinny and it's all we can do to put any weight on them.  They drink a gallon of whole milk a piece.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2010, 01:47:52 PM »
I was very underweight in high school (and college), and my doctor actually recommended I drink malts. Fortunately for me, I worked at a fast food restaurant for a year, and could have 3-4 a day for free.

They can pry my malt from my cold, skinny fingers.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2010, 02:21:35 PM »
I was very underweight in high school (and college), and my doctor actually recommended I drink malts. Fortunately for me, I worked at a fast food restaurant for a year, and could have 3-4 a day for free.

They can pry my malt from my cold, skinny fingers.
Malt? Like Colt .45? Or is that another name for milkshake?

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2010, 04:02:18 PM »
Malt? Like Colt .45? Or is that another name for milkshake?

Heathen!

Malt.  As in ice cream, milk, malt powder or syrup...blend and enjoy.

Shakes (without malt) are a pathetic shadow of the real thing.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2010, 04:38:02 PM »
I rather call such arguments against fast food, quite simply, BS. They are the same food you will find anywhere else, in a ratio that has been found customers rather enjoy. The meat is still meat, the fries are still potatoes, the toppings are exactly the same. Now, quality may be a valid argument. The beef in your big mac isn't as high as the 27+ fancy burger in some expensive restaurants. The buns maybe have a few extra preservatives, but probably no more then any other mass produced bun/bread that isn't specifically marketed as low/no preservative.

But nutrition? Nope. Simply no appreciable different between eating out anywhere else. You can find healthy food at home. You can find healthy food and specialty restaurants. You can find relatively healthy food specially marked on the menu, at both sit down and fast food restaurants.

Take a look at some of the nutritional info from larger sit down restaurants. Let's look at...Applebee's just for the sake of comparison.

Grilled Shrimp and Spinach salad. Sounds healthy right? I mean. It's grilled shrimp, not fried. That's good right? Spinach! Everyone knows spinach is great for you. Salads, salads are healthy food options when you eat out.

Lets also take a look at a pretty standard Mcdonalds meal...say a big mac and a large fry. Mmm greasy, low quality fatty meat. Deep fried potatoes. Cheap toppings. Heart attack in a sack man!

So if I told you we were talking about 1050 calories, 72 grams of fat, 11 grams of saturated fat, 2530 mg of sodium...would you think we we're talking about a grilled shrimp and spinach salad or a big mac value meal?

If you guessed the big mac, you'd be wrong. Those are the stats from Applebee's website nutrition guide for their grilled shrimp and spinach salad. For the record and sake of comparison the big mac and large fries is 1040 calories 54 grams of fat 14 grams of sat fat and 1390mg of sodium. Based on the numbers people tend to ZOMG EVIL BAD FOOD FOR YOU......THE BIG MAC AND LARGE FRY IS BETTER FOR YOU THEN A GRILLED SHRIMP AND SPINACH SALAD. The AB's grilled oriental chicken salad? Even worse for you. 1310 calories 93 grams of fat 15 grams of sat fat 2.5 grams of trans fat (big mac meal above rings in at 1.5) and 1470mg of sodium. Now we're beating the big mac and large fry in every. single. category. WITH A FREAKING SALAD. Something specifically on the menu to make people feel good about themselves when they go out to eat. A big mac and salad w/ranch dressing is only 730 calories 44 grams of fat 13 grams of saturated fat and 1580mg of sodium, now we're talking some comparatively healthy eats!

Point isn't that AB's are a bunch of lying *expletive deleted*che bags, the stats are similar to anyone else. And it certainly isn't to say woofing down a big mac and large fry on a nightly basis is a good idea. Point is that eating out, unless you are very selective and stick very closely to the "healthy" options, isn't all that healthy anywhere. And even then it is relatively unhealthy to what you can do at home. And I find picking on fast food establishments to be ridiculous. If anything your average fast food restaurant is fairly honest and open that their food isn't the healthiest thing on the face of the planet, much more so than your average sit down chain. If anything, I'd call the sit down chain more dishonest for loading down healthy looking things like a salad to the point they are literally worse for you then a big mac value meal. Wanna talk psychological sales tricks? Any idiot knows a big mac value meal is bad for you. Put a salad in front of most anyone though and the healthy meter goes off.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2010, 05:48:59 PM »
I rather call such arguments against fast food, quite simply, BS. They are the same food you will find anywhere else, in a ratio that has been found customers rather enjoy. The meat is still meat, the fries are still potatoes, the toppings are exactly the same. Now, quality may be a valid argument. The beef in your big mac isn't as high as the 27+ fancy burger in some expensive restaurants. The buns maybe have a few extra preservatives, but probably no more then any other mass produced bun/bread that isn't specifically marketed as low/no preservative.

Yep.

I put the liberal spin on it up above, but the libertarian spin is that it's about punishing McD's or being so ubiquitous aka successful.

And the human spin is that it's more fun to attack stuff you aren't attached to.  No legislator values Happy Meals, but many do enjoy being able to grab a dinner at Applebee's et al. 

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2010, 07:27:44 PM »
>I was very underweight<

What do you mean, "was"?

Yer still a skinny lil' runt, bro! >:D
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2010, 07:42:46 PM »
You folks supporting this make me wonder if I'm on the right forum. ;/

I can count on the fingers of one hand the times we have been to McDonald's in the last ten years. Personally, I don't consider their fare to be "food" in the classic sense of the word but... it does fill an occasional need. Kiddo always enjoyed our rare trips to McDonalds.

Keep your *&^%^&*%$&*! nanny-state intrusion the hell away from me. I hope "freedom" like this stays in it's cesspool.
That's from my Facebook post.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2010, 08:31:18 PM »
Honestly folks... what will be legislated next?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITPTJzPv4J8&feature=related

You see, according to Cocteau's plan, I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think; I like to read.
 I'm into freedom of speech and freedom of choice.
I'm the kind of guy who likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecued ribs with the side order of gravy fries?" I WANT high cholesterol. I wanna eat bacon and butter and BUCKETS of cheese, okay?
I want to smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section. I want to run through the streets naked with green Jell-o all over my body reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly might feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future.
Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiener".
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 08:41:27 PM by grislyatoms »

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2010, 09:05:37 PM »
If folks in SF can't parent, that's not my problem. Stay the F888 out of my affairs.

You know what? Outlaw dumb parents, instead.

CA is broke, yet they spend $$$$$$$$
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tom-blumer/2010/08/23/july-la-school-officials-defended-rfk-taj-mahal-more-justified
on infrastructure and then tout crap like this?

[barf] [barf] [barf]

CA is a cesspool, and always will be.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2010, 09:32:44 PM »
How many folks with children actually support this nonsense?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2010, 12:51:55 AM »
You could eat much worse at a "sit down" restaurant.  And spend more money...

My Dad's been known to order a Happy Meal, just because it's a modest amount of chow, and comes with a toy he can give to the grand-kids.