Author Topic: An Example of Why Republicans are on Probation  (Read 1694 times)

Waitone

• friend
An Example of Why Republicans are on Probation
« on: November 10, 2010, 07:17:40 PM »
http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/upton-s-voting-record-may-pose-problems

Short summary:  Rep. Fred Upton of Michigan is in line to become chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee.  What is so controversial about him?  Nothing except he co-sponsored the legislation which banned indoor incandescent bulbs.  He has since doubled down on his actions by co-sponsoring legislation which will ban outdoor incandescent.

The article paints a pretty good picture of what republican leadership faces in its fight within the party.  Does leadership make a clean sweep of the past or does it play around the edges. 
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: An Example of Why Republicans are on Probation
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 11:43:36 PM »
As many have said before me, there is the STOOPID party and there is the EVIL party. 

You can't fix stupid and evil will steal you broke.....
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 02:49:15 PM »
He has since doubled down on his actions by co-sponsoring legislation which will ban outdoor incandescent.

Right, because CFL's work so great outside in the winter. By the time a crook's done emptying out my shed, the motion-detecting floodlight will just have warmed up to a pleasant glow.

nico

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 08:46:05 PM »

Right, because CFL's work so great outside in the winter. By the time a crook's done emptying out my shed, the motion-detecting floodlight will just have warmed up to a pleasant glow.
my dad made the mistake of buying a CFL bulb for a 2-head flood light over the driveway.  The other bulb is halogen.  Even in the summer, the CFL takes a good 3-4 minutes to get as bright as the halogen bulb.  In the winter, the dog is finished crapping and you're back inside before it gets usefully bright ;/

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 11:03:06 PM »
once again, it's fluorescent. it's meant to be turned on at dusk and off at dawn. ;)

not that i support this environazi garbage, but it's fun screwing with them. [popcorn]

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 11:53:52 PM »
What is so controversial about him?  Nothing except he co-sponsored the legislation which banned indoor incandescent bulbs.

Just to be fair, there were 198 co-sponsors on that bill.