Author Topic: So, did AZ legalize weed? how does it affect gunnies?  (Read 1229 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
So, did AZ legalize weed? how does it affect gunnies?
« on: November 14, 2010, 10:01:44 PM »
if medical mj has become legal in AZ, how are they gonna handle constitutional carry? should be interesting
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
Re: So, did AZ legalize weed? how does it affect gunnies?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 10:17:15 PM »
Since being intoxicated/impaired/under the influence while driving is illegal, regardless of whether the substance is legal or not or if you have a prescription for it or not, I'm not sure why the laws involving intoxication and guns would be any different. ???

It'd be nice if all such laws could evolve to just punishing harmful acts regardless of sobriety or lack thereof (due to anything) but I'm not sure why there'd be any changes with the passing of med. marijuana.

"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 11:57:20 PM »
So, did AZ legalize weed? how does it affect gunnies?

I should think it gets them just as high as everyone else.  :P
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 08:24:42 AM »
Since being intoxicated/impaired/under the influence while driving is illegal, regardless of whether the substance is legal or not or if you have a prescription for it or not, I'm not sure why the laws involving intoxication and guns would be any different. ???
It'd be nice if all such laws could evolve to just punishing harmful acts regardless of sobriety or lack thereof (due to anything) but I'm not sure why there'd be any changes with the passing of med. marijuana.

Oh noes!  But, but, but all the new pot smokers will have gunzzzzz!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 12:42:57 PM »
I was under the impression that's it illegal to posses a gun and mj at the same time.
Will they leave it to fed to prosecute?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 01:29:04 PM »
I was under the impression that's it illegal to posses a gun and mj at the same time.
Will they leave it to fed to prosecute?

I'm not sure how that's played out in the states with medical mj.  I'm pretty sure it is still federal, though. 
Usually for the feds to pick up on something they either need to bust you in a federal bust (DEA, etc) or have a charge referred to them by a local/state DA.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”