Author Topic: Is the NAACP still relevant?  (Read 3970 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Is the NAACP still relevant?
« on: January 13, 2009, 03:47:28 PM »
The question comes to mind to me because if this period fashion stuff is all they have to complain about, I just can't help but ask. 

It occurs to me that they could be and probably do a lot that doesn't make the papers, but stuff like this doesn't help their image in my view at least.

http://www.wsfa.com/Global/story.asp?S=9655036&nav=menu33_2

Montgomery, Ala. (WSFA) --  They're part of a long standing tradition that will soon become a part of Presidential history.

The head of the Alabama NAACP, however, wants Mobile's Azalea Trail Maids to stay home on Inauguration Day, claiming the group reminds him of slavery.

"These are not just regular costumes.  These are the costumes that remind someone of the plantation in Gone with the Wind," Edward Vaughn said in a phone interview.

Vaughn went on to say the group would be the laughing stock of the Inauguration.  County leaders say nothing could be further from the truth.

"We want everyone to know that these young ladies do not need to be identified with slavery," said Mobile County Commissioner Stephen Nodine.

"I don't see what the dresses have to do with racism. I don't see it. It's just a regular dress to me.  Just a dress they wore back in the day," said Carolyn Tius of Montgomery.

Organizers stand behind the tradition, but opponents say tradition is the problem.

"We needed something that could show Alabama's great progress rather than something that shows a shameful past," Vaughn said.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Is the NAACP still relevant?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 03:52:31 PM »
Nothing like being completely ignorant of history, and screaming it for everyone to see.

Guy must be a product of public schools.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 04:00:22 PM »
The question comes to mind to me because if this period fashion stuff is all they have to complain about, I just can't help but ask.

If the NAACP doesn't have anything to complain about, it will concoct something. Its only purpose is to complain—and take in lots of money, of course.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 04:16:35 PM »
Wait, when were they relevant?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 11:21:18 AM »
If the NAACP doesn't have anything to complain about, it will concoct something. Its only purpose is to complain—and take in lots of money, of course.
The technique is properly termed "Accuse and Demand."
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 11:41:12 AM »
I am sure they actually do some some things like scholarships and other stuff that is a good, but attention getting stuff like this hurts their image IMO.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 12:01:47 PM »
If a controversy does not occur within an unspecified time period, one must be ginned up out of the best materials at hand.  This was the best they could do, poor devils. 

This does not apply only to NAACP, but most similar pressure groups: ADL, enviro groups, La Raza, etc.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 12:43:56 PM »
Well, given that plantationism has become the reigning philosophy of our times, it seems all too appropriate to me.   We are all becoming "Trail Maids."
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 01:03:33 PM »
I thought we weren't supposed to call the folks that the NAACP supposedly represents "CP" anymore ???  :O

How come they haven't changed their name to NAABA or even NAAAA ...?  :rolleyes:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 01:42:00 PM »
Because it's their organization and they can call it whatever they like?  :rolleyes:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 04:16:52 PM »
Because it's their organization and they can call it whatever they like?  :rolleyes:

Do they allow American Indians in their organization? Asian Indians? Mexican Indians? Hmong? Any other "persons of color"?

Just wondering. I really don't know the answer(s).

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 04:24:52 PM »
At the time the organization was founded, Colored People meant one thing and one thing alone in the United states -- blacks.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 04:40:25 PM »
At the time the organization was founded, Colored People meant one thing and one thing alone in the United states -- blacks.

Close ;)

Back then we called them "Negroes" or "*******"
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 04:00:47 AM »

Well, let's see. The goal of the organization has been to combat racist oppression of African-Americans.

I'd say that settles it.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2009, 08:31:44 AM »
NAACP Express--next stop?  Reparations.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 10:49:42 AM »
NAACP Express--next stop?  Reparations.

That's certainly in their agenda: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2005/jul/12/20050712-120944-7745r/

That article is a couple of years old, but I've not heard of a change in stance.

My thought has always been that if there are any slaves left alive, they should be able to pursue reparations.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 08:22:36 PM »
That's certainly in their agenda: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2005/jul/12/20050712-120944-7745r/

That article is a couple of years old, but I've not heard of a change in stance.

My thought has always been that if there are any slaves left alive, they should be able to pursue reparations.

As long as said reparations are collected from any slaveHOLDERS who are still alive, I think I could go along with that.

Under the conditions which actually apply, I think those clamoring for "reparations" from millions of people who never did anything wrong are, to put it politely, barking mad.  Or frakking idiots, take your pick.