Author Topic: Obama Inauguration Contributions  (Read 2089 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Obama Inauguration Contributions
« on: January 17, 2009, 11:03:00 PM »
I came across this interesting database of contributors to Obama's Inauguration. It lists all contributors who gave more than $200. In checking out a few CA cities (the database includes all states), it was interesting to note how many high dollar contributions were given by people whose status was, "not employed". There were quite a few $50K contributions out of San Francisco.

http://www.visaliatimesdelta.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/99999999/NEWS07/90116011
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Obama Inauguration Contributions
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 11:17:00 PM »
Wait, wait, wait.

The man had raise 745 million dollars for his campaign. Are you telling me he doesn't have enough money left over for a truly GLORIOUS party?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 10:05:36 AM »
More importantly for me, and it actually ties into the hypocrisy thread running here, is why do these same people that have thousands of dollars to give to have a party, demand that my taxes be raised to pay for their pet social programs?

If they all gave the same amount every year to those programs, there would be little need to fund them via tax dollars. Liberals seem to always be good for a party, but as the old saying goes, they love to be generous with other people's money when it's to be used for charity.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kwelz

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 12:55:09 PM »
Wait, wait, wait.

The man had raise 745 million dollars for his campaign. Are you telling me he doesn't have enough money left over for a truly GLORIOUS party?

Can't use campaign money for something like this. 
Thank McCain for that.

lone_gunman

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 01:04:47 PM »
More importantly for me, and it actually ties into the hypocrisy thread running here, is why do these same people that have thousands of dollars to give to have a party, demand that my taxes be raised to pay for their pet social programs?

Obama has pretty  much backed off the idea of raising taxes for now.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 01:09:07 PM »
Obama has pretty  much backed off the idea of raising taxes for now.

That doesn't have anything to do with the fact that his side of the political arena believes that I should be taxed to support social programs rather than allowing me, through my own free will, to support the charities of my choice.

lone_gunman

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 05:19:24 PM »
No, it has a lot to do with it, because if Obama does not support a tax increase, there will be no tax increase.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 06:07:46 PM »
The point was the mindset of his supporters, not his administration's policies. He can tax or not tax -- these people still believe the "right" thing is to tell me who to give to, versus allow me to make my choices without government intervention.

lone_gunman

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 06:16:55 PM »
these people still believe the "right" thing is to tell me who to give to, versus allow me to make my choices without government intervention.

I see your point.  But I care less about someone's philosophy and more about what they do.