Author Topic: President 'has four years to save Earth'  (Read 4709 times)

Desertdog

• friends
President 'has four years to save Earth'
« on: January 18, 2009, 10:03:47 AM »
This posting is NOT about GW or anything like that.  It is to illustrate the arrogance and the stupidly of what 'the powers to be' think they can accomplish.  They seem to forget that they are mere humans.  Please, nothing about GW unless it fits in with what those in power are going to do.

President 'has four years to save Earth'
US must take the lead to avert eco-disaster
Robin McKie in New York The Observer, Sunday 18 January 2009

Obama has only four years to save the world. That is the stark assessment of Nasa scientist and leading climate expert Jim Hansen who last week warned only urgent action by the new president could halt the devastating climate change that now threatens Earth. Crucially, that action will have to be taken within Obama's first administration, he added.

Soaring carbon emissions are already causing ice-cap melting and threaten to trigger global flooding, widespread species loss and major disruptions of weather patterns in the near future. "We cannot afford to put off change any longer," said Hansen. "We have to get on a new path within this new administration. We have only four years left for Obama to set an example to the rest of the world. America must take the lead."

Hansen said current carbon levels in the atmosphere were already too high to prevent runaway greenhouse warming. Yet the levels are still rising despite all the efforts of politicians and scientists.

Only the US now had the political muscle to lead the world and halt the rise, Hansen said. Having refused to recognise that global warming posed any risk at all over the past eight years, the US now had to take a lead as the world's greatest carbon emitter and the planet's largest economy. Cap-and-trade schemes, in which emission permits are bought and sold, have failed, he said, and must now be replaced by a carbon tax that will imposed on all producers of fossil fuels. At the same time, there must be a moratorium on new power plants that burn coal - the world's worst carbon emitter.

Hansen - head of the Goddard Institute of Space Studies and winner of the WWF's top conservation award - first warned Earth was in danger from climate change in 1988 and has been the victim of several unsuccessful attempts by the White House administration of George Bush to silence his views.

Hansen's institute monitors temperature fluctuations at thousands of sites round the world, data that has led him to conclude that most estimates of sea level rises triggered by rising atmospheric temperatures are too low and too conservative. For example, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change says a rise of between 20cm and 60cm can be expected by the end of the century.

However, Hansen said feedbacks in the climate system are already accelerating ice melt and are threatening to lead to the collapse of ice sheets. Sea-level rises will therefore be far greater - a claim backed last week by a group of British, Danish and Finnish scientists who said studies of past variations in climate indicate that a far more likely figure for sea-level rise will be about 1.4 metres, enough to cause devastating flooding of many of the world's major cities and of low-lying areas of Holland, Bangladesh and other nations.

As a result of his fears about sea-level rise, Hansen said he had pressed both Britain's Royal Society and the US National Academy of Sciences to carry out an urgent investigation of the state of the planet's ice-caps. However, nothing had come of his proposals. The first task of Obama's new climate office should therefore be to order such a probe "as a matter of urgency", Hansen added.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: President 'has four years to save Earth'
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 10:06:10 AM »
didn't i just read that sea ice levels rebounded?  to 1979 levels?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 11:08:55 AM »
Leftist extremists believe their irrational fears, most of which are feigned in the first place, trump the nation's civil rights.

They're wrong.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 11:37:34 AM »
How does this:
Hansen said current carbon levels in the atmosphere were already too high to prevent runaway greenhouse warming. Yet the levels are still rising despite all the efforts of politicians and scientists.

Jive with this:
only urgent action by the new president could halt the devastating climate change that now threatens Earth.

I've heard that news articles are written at an eight-grade education level so that the masses can understand it, but I guess that doesn't include eigth-grade math.  1 /= 1 apparently.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 12:11:19 PM »
Go Captain Planet Obama!

Only the US now had the political muscle to lead the world and halt the rise, Hansen said.

But wait!   How does this jive against the lib complaints of hegemonic dictatorship by our one-sided foreign policy standards of the Bush years?  That the rest of the world was just waiting and dying to work with us and lead our benighted citizenry from the dark ages of the imperialistic industrial revolution to the kinder, gentler Brave New World they have ready for us?

Now we have to lead them?

Sigh.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 01:44:42 PM »
I'm amazed that climatalogical processes match the presidential cycle exactly!
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 02:22:31 PM »
Manufactured urgency has long been used to get people who don't think that hard to buy something. "HURRY! BEFORE THEY'RE GONE!"...while there's tens of thousands in the stockroom. It causes an impulse purchase. It's been used back since merchants sold "one of a kind holy relics" to pilgrims in the Middle East, then got another identical one of out of the back when they left. And probably before that.

It's always worked on people who do not stop and think. And now it's gone to a global scale that can impact the entire economy, hell, even the progress of mankind. All to let some people with "carbon credits" ponzi schemes make billions.

Lovely. Sell the destruction of capitalism to stupid people, how ironic.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 02:32:54 PM »
Sell the destruction of capitalism to stupid people, how ironic.

Couldn't very well sell it to intelligent people.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Wildalaska

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 05:57:31 PM »
Hansen is an ignorant loon =D

WildidlovetodebatehimAlaska TM
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 06:01:13 PM by Wildalaska »
I'm just a condescending, supercilious,  pompous ass .But then again, my opinion is as irrelevant as yours, and keep in mind kids, it's only the internet! If I bug ya that much, ignore me. Anyway, need something? Call me at 800/992-4570.
?If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers?

http://www.hyperarts.com/pynchon/gravity/index.html

http://www.therealwildalaska.com/blog/

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 06:12:33 PM »
Hansen is an ignorantpolitical loon =D

fixed it for ya
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 07:02:33 PM »
Hansen is an ignorant loon =D

Nice to see you back. Touch delusional though - Hansen would make mincemeat of most. I wouldn't personally take even some hack like Morano lightly. Many fail to grasp the mastery of the facts (whether facts or 'facts') that scientists, politicians and professional stirrers have. Add in experience and a touch of charisma - well, you get the picture.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 07:04:35 PM »
Hansen would make mincemeat of most.

No.

Also, someone needs to investigate the guy's investment portfolio. Could prove interesting.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 07:14:00 PM »
I'm sure he wouldn't make mincemeat of you.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 07:32:19 PM »
I'm sure he wouldn't make mincemeat of you.

Junk science never holds up well to actual facts.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2009, 07:36:41 PM »
I'm afraid you'd only have righteous indignation. Doesn't even get you very far here.

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2009, 08:02:57 PM »
hansen gets less respect amongst his peers.  unless you consider his peer group politicians

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2009, 09:08:50 PM »
Hansen would make mincemeat of most.
IIRC, Hansen was recently caught doctoring his data to support his claims of GW.   Any high school debate club member could discredit and defeat him.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 09:12:18 PM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

• friends
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2009, 09:13:26 PM »
his testimony in the defense of the brit enviro terrorists was "special"

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2009, 09:34:30 PM »
Obama has only four years to save the world.

We have only four years left for Obama to set an example to the rest of the world. America must take the lead."

Fruedian slip anyone?

I curious if deep down somewhere in the black void where their souls that they sold are supposed to be, that there may be a slight nagging feeling that their Chosen One is going to be a one-term wonder?  =D
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2009, 10:43:40 PM »
Obama has only four years to save the world.
Actually I fear that Obama will pull the USA down far worse than Pres. Jimmy Carter.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2009, 11:10:00 PM »
IIRC, Hansen was recently caught doctoring his data to support his claims of GW.   Any high school debate club member could discredit and defeat him.

Was about to ask if anyone had taught Hansen how to use a thermometer yet...

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2009, 12:16:58 PM »
Ditto what Desertdog says...........global warming is someone's way to make a quick buck for doing nothing.......Most of you were not around back in the 50's to see what real polution was.  chris3

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2009, 01:08:23 PM »
Save the earth?  He won't even be able to quit smoking.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.