Author Topic: Group dangles $50K for Jews who move to Ala. town  (Read 7881 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Group dangles $50K for Jews who move to Ala. town
« on: September 08, 2008, 08:42:12 PM »
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D932NC6O1&show_article=1

DOTHAN, Ala. (AP) - Larry Blumberg is looking for a few good Jews to move to his corner of the Bible Belt.
Blumberg is chairman of the Blumberg Family Relocation Fund, which is offering Jewish families as much as $50,000 to relocate to Dothan, an overwhelmingly Christian town of 58,000 that calls itself the Peanut Capital of the World. Get involved at Temple Emanu-El and stay at least five years, the group's leaders say, and the money doesn't have to be repaid.

More Jews are living in the South than everabout 386,00 at last count in 2001, according to Stuart Rockoff, historian at the Goldring/Woldenberg Institute of Southern Jewish Life in Jackson, Miss. But young Jews are leaving small places like Dothan in favor of cities like Atlanta and Birmingham, Rockoff said, and dozens of small-town synagogues have closed.

"A lot of the older people have died, and not many of the younger ones have stayed," said Thelma Nomberg, a member of the Dothan temple who grew up in nearby Ozark, where she was the only Jewish student in public school in the 1940s. "We are dying."

Being outside the Christian majority was never a problem, Nomberg said, even six decades ago: She won the Miss Ozark beauty pageant at 14 and sometimes attended church with friends after sleep-overs.

Now a widow, Nomberg has watched two of her four adult children leave for Florida as Temple Emanu-El lost nearly half its membership, down to about 50 families. She can only hope the recruitment plan works for her synagogue.

Launched in June, the Blumberg program has put advertisements in Jewish newspapers in Boston, Miami, Providence, R.I., and Washington, and it plans to expand the campaign.

"I think it's important that we try to find young people that we could use in our religious school, our Sunday school and help in the way of trying to create more of a family-type atmosphere in our temple," Blumberg said.

Groups offered financial aid for Jews to return to New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina in 2005, and Jewish organizations around the country offer moving assistance for relocating families. A congregation has loans and other benefits for Jewish families moving into an area near Boston.

"Our program is distinctive because it's Dothan, but it's also distinctive because of the type of financial assistance," said Rob Goldsmith, executive director of Blumberg Family Jewish Community Services, which will screen applicants and administer the grant program.

Trying to lure Jewish families to a quiet Southern town in a state with a reputation for hard-right politics and racial intolerance might be difficult. About 20 Jewish families have sought information about Dothan, though none has made the move.

Rockoff credits Blumberg and the rest of the congregation with fighting to remain in Dothan, where the synagogue has a full-time rabbi and the temple, which is aligned with the reform movement, hasn't missed having a Friday night service in decades.

"It is a small community, but they have some deep pockets to be able to do this," said Rockoff. "As a historian it is fascinating to see them trying to buck this trend."

Dothan lies at the heart of the South's peanut region, in Alabama's southeastern corner just minutes from Florida and Georgia. It's dotted with big fiberglass peanuts painted to resemble characters and peoplethere's even an Elvis peanut.

Little things are big here: The city boasts what it calls the world's smallest city block, a triangular traffic island near the civic center.

But the Blumberg foundation is selling prospective Jewish residents on Dothan's quality of lifeits low cost of living, the heritage of its synagogue and its proximity to Florida beaches, about 80 miles away.

The city is the site of the down-home National Peanut Festival each fall, and it has a full schedule of community cultural events. It has two hospitals, a branch of Troy University and is just a short drive from Fort Rucker, the Army's main helicopter training base.

Downtown is filled with quaint red-brick buildings and colorful murals, and traffic never gets too bad on Ross Clark Circle, the perimeter road.

"We have Friday afternoon rush minute, and that's about it," said manufacturing executive Ed Marbletree, 69, who grew up Jewish in Texas but married a Dothan girl and has lived in the town since 1961.

Valerie Barnes grew up in Panama and moved several times before settling 20 years ago in Dothan and becoming active at the synagogue. She's never experienced any anti-Semitism and can't imagine living anywhere else.

"The biggest thing Dothan has to offer is that it's just a very family-oriented community," said Barnes, who directs a hospital foundation. "Our congregation is very vibrant, and we have a lot of things that we get involved in."

Rabbi Lynne Goldsmith didn't know quite what to expect when she moved to Dothan a year ago to lead the congregation at Temple Emanu-El, which was founded in 1929. She came with her husband, who directs the Jewish community services group.

A Connecticut native, the rabbi halfway expected the Alabama of old with wide-open racism and dirt roads.

"The Northeast has a really warped perception of what the South is all about, and I found out it was all wrong," she said. "The South is a wonderful place to be. The people are warm and friendly. There's very little traffic. And best of all, there's no snow."

Any one willing to convert?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
Re: Group dangles $50K for Jews who move to Ala. town
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 09:01:05 PM »
She's never experienced any anti-Semitism and can't imagine living anywhere else.

That's what I expected. I get the notion that Europe is a more anti-Semitic place than the American south.
I don't believe I've ever heard a negative thing said about Jewish folks down here - and this is one of the many places you could call Redneck Central Station.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 09:20:28 PM »
But the Blumberg foundation is selling prospective Jewish residents on Dothan's quality of lifeits low cost of living, the heritage of its synagogue and its proximity to Florida beaches, about 80 miles away.

Wrong week to use that as a selling point.

Interesting offer, but I'll never live in soul-crushing humidity again.  Hell is muggy.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 01:58:29 AM »
She's never experienced any anti-Semitism and can't imagine living anywhere else.

That's what I expected. I get the notion that Europe is a more anti-Semitic place than the American south.
I don't believe I've ever heard a negative thing said about Jewish folks down here - and this is one of the many places you could call Redneck Central Station.

Yup.  Never heard an anti-semetic remark until I started mingling with Northerners as an adult.  I went to a Baptist university in rural NC and knew several Jewish students (and a whole gaggle of Mormons).  They never had any problems there either.

Chris

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 04:54:41 AM »
Yet, of course, we are still portrayed as racist trailer trash... rolleyes

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 05:18:01 AM »

Some of the most blatently racist people I've met were from up North, but you'll never hear about that.

Chris

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 05:22:48 AM »

Some of the most blatently racist people I've met were from up North, but you'll never hear about that.

Chris

Were they Hoosiers?
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 05:24:14 AM »
...I can has money plz?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 05:49:31 AM »
"Never heard an anti-semetic remark until I started mingling with Northerners as an adult."

You know, that's odd.

My experience was that I didn't have any exposure to any anti-semitism until I moved to Virginia and started associating with Southerners on a regular basis.

The town where my parents grew up is located almost dead center in Pennsylvania. Pretty rural, LOTS of Amish, good Catholic population, and when they were growing up, enough Jews to warrant a rather nice synagog.

Since 1972, though, when tropical storm Agnes killed off the textile mill, and the economic downturn killed off the steel mill, there are hardly any Jews left in town.

The synagog was finally closed and sold about 15 years ago.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 05:56:12 AM »

Chris

Were they Hoosiers?
Associating us with northerners is an insult to Hoosiers.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 06:16:24 AM »
"Some of the most blatently racist people I've met were from up North, but you'll never hear about that."

Yeah, but at least we live in real houses, not trailers.  laugh laugh laugh

Actually, like hell you won't. Live up North. You'll hear about it. You won't hear about it down here because this is where we live.

One of these days I'll tell you about the scion of an OLD Southern family I met. Had creds on both sides of the family right back to original land grantees in the 1600 and 1700s, ancestors served in the Civil War (as if I have to tell you which side), his father, grandfather, great grandfather, etc., served in state legislatures and, I think, at least one of them way back served in Congress, the family was a MAJOR landowner prior to the war...

In other words, a descendant of true Southern aristocracy.

And the single most racist individual I have ever met in my life.

Then there was the teacher I had in high school. FANTASTIC teacher, one of the best I ever had. Absolute, pathological hatred of the Irish, Jews, and blacks. He was raised in New York.

I'm racist. I'll fully admit that. I fight against it, and most of the time I'm successful.

But, EVERYONE is naturally racist to some degree or another; it's hard coded in our DNA to be fearful of those who are different, and often that's supported and enforced by societal norms.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 07:41:00 AM »
So....

Are they trying to make themselves seem less racist by luring Jews into their town with money?
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 07:43:11 AM »
So....

Are they trying to make themselves seem less racist by luring Jews into their town with money?

Uh...the people doing the "luring" are Jews themselves.  They're trying to bolster their local congregation, as currently they are bleeding members via outwards emigration of younger members and the passing of older members.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 08:37:51 AM »
...I can has money plz?

2.5 hours form Auburn U

2.0 hours to Florida State U

I bet you could "move" to Dothan, make it to synagogue on Saturdays, and spend the rest of the week working your PhD.

University coeds during the week, Jewish grandmothers making their best dishes for "that fine young man" on the weekends.  It could be worse...

I would recommend Auburn, but that is just because my sister is a Gator graduate and FSU is of the Devil and worse than cancer.

FYI...

U Miami cheer to welcome FSU to Miami (done to the tune of the Seminole's war drumming):
F--- you, Seminoles
Seminoles, f--- you
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 08:39:10 AM »
So....

Oh, the fun I cold have with that.  Where's Jackie Mason when you need him?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2008, 09:03:38 AM »
Jews are now their own separate race?

Interesting.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 09:47:36 AM »

Interesting.

Everyone knows they are half-lizards by now, plotting to take over the world and corrupt our precious bodily fluids!

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 09:51:37 AM »
Only if you are female.

And cute.
One day at a time.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2008, 09:58:41 AM »
Only if you are female.

And cute.

Though I've heard you'll forgo the latter after a few beers and the former after a few more beers... Tongue

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2008, 10:00:05 AM »

Interesting.

Everyone knows they are half-lizards by now, plotting to take over the world and corrupt our precious bodily fluids!

OK, you get an extra point for the Dr. Strangelove reference. Cheesy

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2008, 10:06:00 AM »
FYI...

U Miami cheer to welcome FSU to Miami (done to the tune of the Seminole's war drumming):
F--- you, Seminoles
Seminoles, f--- you

Don't forget about the synchronized middle-finger reply to the tomahawk chop. Entire UM side of the stadium all gives the finger at once. It's beautiful.

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2008, 10:13:07 AM »
I've lived in the North my whole short life, so I assumed there were more racists in the South than up here and the intensity of their hatred was greater. I  based this on heresay, since I have never been down there and the only Southerner I ever met was a kind Christian without a rascist bone in her body.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2008, 10:14:24 AM »

Chris

Were they Hoosiers?

My wife's entire family is from the Hoosier state, and they are all dirty racists.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2008, 11:09:03 AM »
FYI...

F--- you, Seminoles
Seminoles, f--- you

Don't forget about the synchronized middle-finger reply to the tomahawk chop. Entire UM side of the stadium all gives the finger at once. It's beautiful.
You should the Aggie signal for the "Beat the hell outta _____" yell at football games.  Put left hand on right bicep.  Lift right hand to shoulder.  30,000 students passing the signal up before the yell.  Cheesy
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2008, 11:10:56 AM »
I have met a few people who had rather ignorant views of Israel and the middle east (IMO), but few outright racists.  There is still some tension and bad feeling with some people over the black/white thing, but most people I ever knew kept it to themselves.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge