Author Topic: Sunglasses  (Read 7889 times)

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
Sunglasses
« on: January 27, 2009, 01:51:36 AM »
Something has always puzzled me - high-priced sunglasses. Not the prescription kind, just the 'designer' variety that go for $100-400, probably more.

For instance:
http://www.net-a-porter.com/am/product/40101?cm_mmc=LinkshareUS-_-ProductFeed-_-Tom+Ford-_-Sunglasses&siteID=J84DHJLQkR4-Mc5kfwbtt.UmQQzd_RIOsg
Wal-Mart and Target have sunglasses of similar/identical appearance in the $5-$15 section.

It would make sense to me if you could see the label. But you can't, as far as I can tell. I am left thinking that there is something to these high-priced glasses that isn't found in the bargain bin, and that makes purchasing a single pair of them a wiser choice than 5-50 pairs of the others. What is it? Do the sunglasses have real glass in 'em? Do they not scratch up/bend up as easily?

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Sunglasses
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 01:53:13 AM »
Some of the better ones are polarized, which makes a big difference with snowglare, for one...

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 02:01:02 AM »
Some of the better ones are polarized, which makes a big difference with snowglare, for one...
Walmart sells polarized models, too.  :laugh:

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 02:30:57 AM »
I have a pair of Ray Ban aviators fitted with Essilor's poly lens and the Crizal Avance AS/AR treatment.  The lens stock ran about $100 by itself.  The coating was free with a voucher, but runs another $100, usually.  The frames go for around $20 if you know where to look.

First off, the lens actually has an ANSI rating.  They double as outdoor shooting glasses and actually provide that level of protection.  They're not acid-proof lab goggles, but you won't find better protection in that design.  The AS/AR treatment is not a coating, but a bonding agent that is baked into the material.  This produces an unusually hard surface that is impervious to accidental damage.  The polarizing and AR create exceptionally low distortion (read a flying magazine for a rundown on that one), and prevent the slightest bit of glare.  They weigh almost nothing (less than half the weight of the original Ray Ban lenses), and work like a charm. 

Featherweight, non-refractive, no-glare safety glasses that dim the sun.  They're Aviators, which means that they're supremely badass looking to boot.

Walmart specials don't compare.  They typically have no AS/AR coating, they are usually not polarized and many have measurable refraction.  The UV "protection" is sometimes damaging to the eye.  Much of the $5-15 stuff has a substandard UV coating that allows penetration into your dilated eye.  Now, take a hammer to the material, and then tell me what you want in front of your eyeball at the range.

Higher-end lenses are usually polycarbonate.  It scratches easily, but is shatterproof.  Add in a good AS coating, and they're indestructible.  There are other plastics, but they're typically used in prescription lenses because of their refractive qualities.  Some manufacturers still use real glass, but I have no idea why. 

Oakleys are a whole 'nother ballgame.  Any lab can make a good set of lenses for almost any common frame, but nobody but Oakley makes their lens.  Even prescription lenses have to come from the manufacturer.

As for The Girl's $600 Fendi sunglasses, I got no clue.  They're the same lenses as mine, but they retail for more than my first car.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 02:56:58 AM by Azrael256 »

LAK

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 06:40:03 AM »
In addition to polarizing - and there are a number of materials and ways a polycarbonate lens can be constructed and polarized - some high quality sunglasses are still made with glass lenses.

There are some other anti-glare lens types. Polarizing can be a detriment in some circumstances. The optical quality of the lenses is a factor; clarity, color fidelity, contrast and distortion.  The greater the curvature of the lens, like the wrap styles, the more difficult it is to make while maintaining a degree of optical quality around the curved areas.

Then there is impact resistance. Regardless of ANSI embellishments, I tend to put more faith in the higher quality makers when it comes to polycarbonates I wear for some protection in this regard.

In addition to the lens types and quality, the frame construction - expecially the hinges - is sometimes significantly better in high quality sunglasses.

I have a number of very expensive Derapage, several Ray-Ban, Gargoyles and Panoptx sunglasses - with various lens types and qualities - which I scored on the evilBay for mere fractions on the c.$100-$200+ retail. Some are glass, some polarized, some photochromatic. Some I have put aside as spares, some have gone as gifts.

------------------------------------

http://gtr5.com
http://ssunitedstates.org

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 09:22:31 AM »
I owned a pair of Gargoyles for 5 years.  High quality lenses & hardware and great clarity.

Same thing for the Serengeti Drivers I still own.  Nothing from Wally world's $5 bin can compare.

I finally gave away a pair of Rayban Wayfarers to a nephew after 18 years of ownership.  He still had them Christmastime.

TO sum up, there is a difference in quality that can be crucial for some applications. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 09:57:35 AM »
I have a number of very expensive Derapage, several Ray-Ban, Gargoyles and Panoptx sunglasses - with various lens types and qualities - which I scored on the evilBay for mere fractions on the c.$100-$200+ retail. Some are glass, some polarized, some photochromatic. Some I have put aside as spares, some have gone as gifts.

90% of the sunglasses on eBay are Chinese counterfeits, of course.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 09:59:30 AM »
I used to wear $5-10 sunglasses from walmart. I got a $200 pair of Varnet glasses as a part of a prize package I won 4 years ago. I'll never wear cheap sunglasses again. My eyes thank me, especially when I am on the water all day fishing.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

esheato

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 10:03:23 AM »
I've had a few Maui Jims over the years....love em even if they're 200+.

Ed

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 10:31:38 AM »
. . .  The polarizing and AR create exceptionally low distortion . . .
Distortion is a function of lens shape and the uniformity of the refractive index, not polarization (unless you're getting something like stress birefringence) or anti-reflection coatings.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 10:34:56 AM »
Back in the day Oakley used to advertise you could shoot them with birdshot and they would protect your eyes.
As a dumb youth, I accidentally tested this theory.  Shot a sign with birdshot at close range.  The shot came right back at me and peppered my face.  My Oakleys fully deflected the shot, my face looked like I had an acne problem for a few days.....
 :O
I need to step back up to some quality sunglasses.  I have a pair of high end polarized ones for fishing that are pretty damn good.
I think they are worth the money.....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 10:44:05 AM »
What happens to the $200-$400 ones when you leave them behind or accidently sit on them?  Are they built with a homing device and flight capability so they can catch up with you?  I buy cheap sunglasses and coffee mugs for that very reason.  I don't lose much when they magically disappear.  I know its the damn gremlins but I can't ever catch them. =D

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 11:00:02 AM »
What happens to the $200-$400 ones when you leave them behind or accidently sit on them?  Are they built with a homing device and flight capability so they can catch up with you?  I buy cheap sunglasses and coffee mugs for that very reason.  I don't lose much when they magically disappear.  I know its the damn gremlins but I can't ever catch them. =D

That was the problem I had with my nice oakleys back in the day.  Went through a few pair.   :mad:
I've been very careful to take care of my action optics fishing glasses.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009, 11:19:06 AM »

Yes, if you can't keep up with your stuff, it makes it prohibitively expensive.

Even the forgetful can find solutions, at times.  Such as a glasses strap or lanyard.  I had one for my Gargoyles and it kept them on my person, but out from under my backside.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2009, 11:21:47 AM »
I am looking for a pair of prescription sun glasses that have more of a ski goggle sized lens for better wind blockage when skiing or biking.  I used to have a pair of the Bolle Edge sun glasses 20 years ago with prescription inserts that worked well but haven't been able to find those again.

Any ideas on where to get something like that?

zahc

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 11:35:50 AM »
yes there is a difference, the question is if it's worth it. I had a par of some exppensive sunglasses and they got stolen off my desk at work. I haven't replaced them because they cost the better part of a Ruger Mark II, but I really need sunglasses, before the TX summer really kicks in. Maybe I'll just go back to ultra-cheap ones.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2009, 11:49:37 AM »
I am looking for a pair of prescription sun glasses that have more of a ski goggle sized lens for better wind blockage when skiing or biking.  I used to have a pair of the Bolle Edge sun glasses 20 years ago with prescription inserts that worked well but haven't been able to find those again.

I've been on a low-level quest for something similar, either cost effective enough for a clear and shaded pair, or lens inserts so I can switch them for shooting trap, and just general range use, indoor and out. Some side coverage would be good too.

If they were good for other things like running a saw, or using my nail-gun, so much the better.

I admit, a dedicated search I have not yet done, but when I was looking, it was confusing as to how to get the Rx lenses made, who did it etc...
I promise not to duck.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2009, 11:50:15 AM »
There's expensive RayBan/Oakley/Gargoyle stuff, there's crappy gas station or WalMart specials, and then there's stuff in between.

I appreciate the difference in visual quality between the two opposite ends, I really do.  It's like a cheap set of Simmons binocs versus some nice Leupold or Nikon binocs.  There really is a difference.

I just had a FAL take a bite out of my RayBans that I really liked about 3-4 months ago, and I didn't want to drop $100+ on another set of glasses.  I ended up getting some Fossil brand shades that are built well, have quality polycarbonate lenses and seem to do the job driving around in the AZ sun quite well (so far this winter, at least).  They were about $40, I think.

I like them.  At least so far.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2009, 11:51:25 AM »
yes there is a difference, the question is if it's worth it. I had a par of some exppensive sunglasses and they got stolen off my desk at work. I haven't replaced them because they cost the better part of a Ruger Mark II, but I really need sunglasses, before the TX summer really kicks in. Maybe I'll just go back to ultra-cheap ones.

The last pair of sunglasses I bought to have in my wife's car I bought from REI or Campmor on clearance. $90 sunglasses for $35.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2009, 02:01:41 PM »

You can get RX lenses for Oakley Half Jackets, among others.  I ride with the larger lenses in mine (I forget what they call them) and they stop wind fairly well. 
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2009, 02:54:58 PM »
You can get RX lenses from most any of the more well known brands.  Google Ray Ban.  They also have a couple of other brands you will recognize.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2009, 07:11:52 PM »
I've worn Ray Ban Aviators for years. I have a pair that I got from my Bro-in-law, who's an Optometrist for cost. He gave me two pair of Oakleys before that. I absolutely love my Ray Bans, but I have a habit of dropping them. The Oakleys are nice. but one pair doesn't seen to have large enough lenses. The Oakleys have a pretty good warranty on them.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2009, 07:14:45 PM »

You might look at these: http://oakley.com/pd/2028 I have a pair very similar, but an older model.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

erictank

• friends
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2009, 07:46:03 PM »
Something has always puzzled me - high-priced sunglasses. Not the prescription kind, just the 'designer' variety that go for $100-400, probably more.

For instance:
http://www.net-a-porter.com/am/product/40101?cm_mmc=LinkshareUS-_-ProductFeed-_-Tom+Ford-_-Sunglasses&siteID=J84DHJLQkR4-Mc5kfwbtt.UmQQzd_RIOsg
Wal-Mart and Target have sunglasses of similar/identical appearance in the $5-$15 section.

It would make sense to me if you could see the label. But you can't, as far as I can tell. I am left thinking that there is something to these high-priced glasses that isn't found in the bargain bin, and that makes purchasing a single pair of them a wiser choice than 5-50 pairs of the others. What is it? Do the sunglasses have real glass in 'em? Do they not scratch up/bend up as easily?

Lenses are MUCH better (I've had near-identical "real" sunglasses and knockoffs - the knockoffs gave me headaches due to poor lenses), and can be ANSI-rated for impact protection; the metal's stronger, build quality's generally better. 

I find I take MUCH better care (and keep much better track) of my expensive Oakleys than I ever did my el-cheapo sunglasses.  Maybe that's just me, though

LAK

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2009, 09:16:41 AM »
90% of the sunglasses on eBay are Chinese counterfeits, of course.
All the items I have picked up are genuine. If you can spot the differences between a cheap pair of sunglasses and a quality pair, it is very easy to nail a knockoff. In addition to the glasses themselves, there are the box, graphics, printed sticky labels, papers, and the other telltale markers.

I latched onto a few sellers who, having delivered the goods first time around, continued to do so.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 03:46:14 AM by LAK »