Author Topic: Sunglasses  (Read 7887 times)

LAK

• friend
Re: Sunglasses
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2009, 09:26:15 AM »
41magsnub
I am looking for a pair of prescription sun glasses that have more of a ski goggle sized lens for better wind blockage when skiing or biking.  I used to have a pair of the Bolle Edge sun glasses 20 years ago with prescription inserts that worked well but haven't been able to find those again.

Any ideas on where to get something like that?
Check out some of the 7eye - formerly Panoptx - sunglasses with foam eyecups. They can be fitted with RX lenses.

Some great deals can be found on some new old stock Panoptx models.

http://www.7eye.com/

psyopspec

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2009, 09:49:35 AM »
I used to lose sunglasses all the time too - my solution when I moved up to Oakley's and Maui Jim's was to drill a bit of muscle memory into my head.  The glasses are either - 1) Being worn or 2) In the case, which only goes in my vehicle or in my pocket.  And yes, nothing's better for the eyes if you're going to be on the water than the Maui Jim's.  Excellent for driving too.  The Oakley's I use more for sporting applications - running, shooting, etc.  I'm not a rich guy; in fact aside from guns sunglasses are about the only high end items I own.  IMO I'm getting what I paid for.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2009, 10:07:27 AM »
I have pale blue, light-sensitive eyes. I bought a pair of the darkest-lens Oakley M-frames at Cabela's using a discount card, essentially paid half retail. It's taken discipline to keep them in good shape, but they allow me to drive and function in situations which were extremely difficult before using cheaper, non-polarized eyewear. Of course, when the occup. safety instructor asked what was the most important PPE, I was the only person who answered "eyewear".
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2009, 11:34:30 AM »
I grew up wearing cheap sunglasses, even in college.  While at USMA, I bought a pair of RayBan aviators to wear with the uniform, and I've never worn cheap glasses since.  I've recently started wearing Oakley's after being exclusive to RayBan's, and a brief flirtation with a pair of Gargoyles (that I lost, damn it).  Just a style change.  The clarity of vision.  I'll never go back. 
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2009, 10:14:04 PM »
I've been wearing a pair of Natives for about three years now. I find that they fit my face much better than the walmart cheapies, plus they have clear, yellow, and orange lenses that I can swap in for shooting, etc.
The only issue I have found is that I tend to leave them pushed up on my head, and then I when I bounce my head off something I get the glasses too. Still only a minor smudge on one lens though.

I'd like to try a pair of the Oakley's with the nose and temple padding that gets grippier when it gets wet with sweat.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2009, 08:13:13 PM »
When buying it is Oakley's.  I can get them at a discount since I am in the military.

I also have had decent luck with some of the Oakley styled sets the military issues if it isn't Oakley.  Wiley-X also are decent enough but I like Oakley's better.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!