Author Topic: I was not prepared for the Crystal Skull  (Read 7894 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
I was not prepared for the Crystal Skull
« on: September 17, 2009, 12:37:12 AM »
I heard that the movie went overboard on stunts.  I knew there were aliens.  But I had no idea it was so flagrantly and fragrantly awful.  I wouldn't have minded the alien angle, trite thought it may be.  And by now we've all learned to accept that Hollywood can't make an action film without the hero running through a hail of bullets that never hit him, or even affect his hearing. 

I usually don't even notice things like character development.  But I guess this movie stunk so bad, and had so little to offer, that I just couldn't help but notice that Indy's son, and Indy's old war-buddy, were paper-thin. 

And why can't they just make a good adventure flick anymore, without having the characters survive certain death in every single scene.  IF A TRUCK LANDS ON TOP OF YOUR OPEN-TOP VEHICLE, AT LEAST ONE OF THE PASSENGERS WILL SUFFER A MAJOR INJURY.  But no one was hurt.  IF YOU GO DOWN THREE SIZABLE WATERFALLS IN A ROW, SOMEONE IS GOING TO GET HURT.  But no one was hurt.  IF YOU INSIST ON USING THE MOUTH-END OF A VERY LARGE SNAKE AS A ROPE, IT WILL BITE THE EVER-LOVIN' OUT OF YOUR HAND.  REPEATEDLY.  But no one was hurt, and somehow the snake was not ripped in two.  Edit: I forgot to add the bit of idiocy that set the tone for the rest of the film.  Perhaps because the rest of the movie taught me to accept the idea that a common household refrigerator would have shielded Indy from an atomic bomb, and that the lead lining was soft, so would protect and cushion him, when he was flung a mile-and-a-half through the air and tumbled to a stop on the dirt.

And Indy's baby-momma has to have the world's worst survival instinct.  When she saw the massive circular saw blade about to cut her truck in half, what did she do?  She leaned TOWARD it.  When she noticed that she was heading straight for the cliffs of insanity, did she stop, slow or turn?  No, she floored it, and aimed for a scraggly tree that she somehow knew; a) she would able to park the vehicle on, b) would actually slow them down, rather than being swept aside, and c) would let them gently down into the water, rather than leaving them as low-hanging fruit for the Ruskies.  But why were they going the same direction as the Russians, anyway?  They had the Skull and all the friendlies, why not go the other direction? 

One could go on. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 01:11:35 AM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Re: I was not prepared for the Crystal Skull
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 01:35:44 AM »
So, quit beatin' around the bush.
Is it a thumbs-up or thumbs down?   :|

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 01:53:17 AM »
IF A TRUCK LANDS ON TOP OF YOUR OPEN-TOP VEHICLE, AT LEAST ONE OF THE PASSENGERS WILL SUFFER A MAJOR INJURY

Oh, the stories I could tell.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 08:47:29 AM »
The only action scene that I liked was the one with the nuclear blast and the refrigerator.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 09:08:57 AM »
Thumbs down.  Two of 'em.  South Park even did an episode on the whole deal.

NSFW
Clip

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/187266

Episode

http://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/187260

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

zahc

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 09:58:21 AM »
I would like to chime in to say that the suckacity coefficient of KotCS (and the rest of the Indy movies actually) does in no way diminish the overwhelming awesomeness of The Last Crusade.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 10:08:26 AM »
I would like to chime in to say that the suckacity coefficient of KotCS (and the rest of the Indy movies actually) does in no way diminish the overwhelming awesomeness of The Last Crusade.

I have to disagree, The Lost Ark was excellent.

And the Crystal Skull was a GOOD movie... right up until they got captured by the Russians.

The plausibility had been stretched before then but not any further than other Indy or action movies. Good fights, chase scenes, figuring out ancient puzzles- it was great!

AND then they started with the CGI. And the swordfight across two driving vehicles. And the monkeys AND the ants AND the waterfalls.....

And then the aliens showed up. At that point, they'd already jumped the shark, so Hey, LET'S JUST PILE THE CRAP ON!
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

grampster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 10:09:55 AM »
IT'S. A. MOVIE.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 10:11:03 AM »
IT'S. A. MOVIE.

Yeah, but there's a point where the "willing suspension of disbelief" gets turned off and you have to say: Oh, COME ON!

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 10:19:33 AM »
Raiders of the Lost Ark - thumbs up.

Temple of Doom - thumbs down. (The best scene was the formal dinner.)

Last Crusade - thumbs up.

Crystal Skull - thumbs down. (In regard to the "actor" - and I use the term loosely - that played Indy's son: Did Spielberg lose a bet, or owe the kid's father a big, BIG favor or something?)

I'm seeing a pattern here . . . odd numbered movies are good, even numbers are crapola.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 10:21:47 AM »

Crystal Skull - thumbs down. (In regard to the "actor" - and I use the term loosely - that played Indy's son: Did Spielberg lose a bet, or owe the kid's father a big, BIG favor or something?)

I'm seeing a pattern here . . . odd numbered movies are good, even numbers are crapola.

Star Trek works similarly, however it's the evens that are good. (Disclaimer: I have not seen Nemesis)

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 10:34:55 AM »
Indy was always lucky, never a superhero.  In Crystal Skull he became some kind of invincible cartoon character.

For example, if the fridge scene had happened in Raiders, he would have landed on the downslope of some sandy hill and plowed to a stop over 100 yards and your thought would be "Wow, that was lucky he landed just right."  Instead he comes crashing down out of the sky and tumbled to a stop and when the fridge opens all you can think is "That fridge should be full of Indy soup."
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 10:54:12 AM »

Star Wars disproves this. 

Ignoring the blasphemy of the new pathetic additions to the Trilogy that defined the concept of Trilogies, SW1 was mediocre at best, Empire was awesome and must have been the first film to leave people at a cliff-hanger for 3 freakin' years, and RotJ was pathetic.

The inverse of the Indy trilogy.

I agree that KotCS was a pathetic attempt to resurrect the Indy franchise.  In the two best movies, Indy has been a knight-errant holy crusader.  When your American audience knows the judeo-christian tradition better than Roswell conspiracies or Hindu folklore, you cater to that.  Hence the success of the launch of the franchise with the Ark of the Covenant and Nazi bad guys.  And the resounding popularity of the 3rd installment, with the Crusade for Christ's chalice and... Nazi bad guys.

Ruskies may have made good enemies in the 80's, but today's audience is less likely to accept that.

I think better bad guys would have been Nazi escapists who fled to Argentina after the war, and were seeking for a way to do something evil and mysterious and Judeo-christianly evil with a holy relic.

Space aliens and Ruskies just was too much departure for me.  Add to that, the backdrop was essentially science (or cult paranoia) rather than religion, and the resolution of the movie itself, and it was just a pathetic attempt.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 10:57:32 AM »
I still want to see an Indy movie where he's fighting the Great Old Ones.  :lol:
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 11:09:09 AM »

I think better bad guys would have been Nazi escapists who fled to Argentina after the war, and were seeking for a way to do something evil and mysterious and Judeo-christianly evil with a holy relic.

Sums it up pretty nicely.

Also leads to another question. When will the Nazis cease to become one of the favorite frameworks upon which to hang conspiracies in the movies? I mean an indie movie is coming out soon that has Space Nazis returning from a secret base on the moon. WHAT GIVES?
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2009, 11:12:23 AM »

In western pop-culture, judeo-christianly evilness is over, though. Watch old vampire movies and you get things like "the prince of darkness is his ally" and "bats out of hell" and "demons" and so on. Nowadays, zombies are all the rage; they are the atheistic/secular humanist manifestation of demons.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2009, 11:36:30 AM »
& on that note there are at least two zombie movies than use Nazis as the undead.One Japanese & the other ...Scandinavian...I think.

Frozen zombies. :cool:
jeff w

I like onions!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2009, 11:39:54 AM »
I think the problem with KotCS is that Indy never seemed to be in danger, or a least he never suffered from it. In the other movies he was beaten to a pulp. Literally. In KotCS he never seemd to get more than a scratch.

IMHO they were trying too hard. There was too much of just about everything plus it all being waaaaaay over the top in terms of, well, everything. Everything except the humanization and actual story of Raiders and Crusade. (I actually enjoyed Temple, just not as much as the other two).

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 12:27:29 PM »
Also leads to another question. When will the Nazis cease to become one of the favorite frameworks upon which to hang conspiracies in the movies? I mean an indie movie is coming out soon that has Space Nazis returning from a secret base on the moon. WHAT GIVES?
"What Gives" is that a) there's no "pro-Nazi" pressure groups with any traction; and b) Nazis are white guys.

Why do you think the villains who nuked Denver in the screen version of Tom Clancy's The Sum of All Fears were changed from Islamofascists to Euronazi-type white guys?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2009, 12:29:20 PM »
In western pop-culture, judeo-christianly evilness is over, though. Watch old vampire movies and you get things like "the prince of darkness is his ally" and "bats out of hell" and "demons" and so on. Nowadays, zombies are all the rage; they are the atheistic/secular humanist manifestation of demons.

Van Helsing.
Darkrider [sp?].
Constantine.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2009, 12:55:24 PM »
Yeah, but there's a point where the "willing suspension of disbelief" gets turned off and you have to say: Oh, COME ON!

....because melting Nazis, Thugee heart-ripping, and 600-year-old knights are something that we see everyday....  ;/

Star Trek works similarly, however it's the evens that are good. (Disclaimer: I have not seen Nemesis)

NEMESIS blows your theory (and chunky chunks) out of the water....but I'm not a fan of STIV either....

Darkrider [sp?].

Do you mean GHOST RIDER? ???
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2009, 01:00:27 PM »
Not certain. It involves Nick Cage on a flaming bike, fighting Satan.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2009, 01:04:07 PM »
Not certain. It involves Nick Cage on a flaming bike, fighting Satan.
Ghost Rider.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2009, 01:09:16 PM »
....because melting Nazis, Thugee heart-ripping, and 600-year-old knights are something that we see everyday....  ;/

NEMESIS blows your theory (and chunky chunks) out of the water....but I'm not a fan of STIV either....

Do you mean GHOST RIDER? ???

Melting Nazis, Thugee heart-ripping, and 600 year old knights are plausible within the framework of the story.

They exist as supernatural events caused by supernatural powers. They are specifically fantastic as the purpose of the story.  

Swinging through the CGI vines that happen to lead you back to the CAR CHASE, swordfighting across cars, etc... are also fantastical, but no supernatural powers are involved. The purpose of a good story is to base it in its own reality.

The Indy stories basis is the normal physical world, at times acted upon by forces outside the physical world.

For this reason, the Matrix works when physics or biology are defied because that's the reality of the movie. When physics and biology are defied in the Crystal Skull (outside of the extra-natural powers of the skull), it breaks its own reality.

When you go into a movie, you suspend disbelief that your current reality applies. When the movie is not internally consistent, that disbelief is broken.

Movies can be unrealistic, but they cannot be inconsistent if they are to be good.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2009, 05:00:59 PM »
makattak nails it.  Give him a cigar.

IMHO they were trying too hard. There was too much of just about everything plus it all being waaaaaay over the top in terms of, well, everything. Everything except the humanization and actual story of Raiders and Crusade. (I actually enjoyed Temple, just not as much as the other two).

That's the nut of it right there, and why so many action flicks annoy me.  They all think their chase/fight scene has to be more spectacular than everyone else's, so they pile on one unbelievable stunt after another.  This substitutes for good story, etc. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife