Author Topic: Winter is finally here!  (Read 7868 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Winter is finally here!
« on: January 19, 2012, 10:13:51 AM »
We've gotten a foot of snow since yesterday afternoon and it is still coming down.  It's not "snowpocalypse" some folks are talking about, but it is fun!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Winter is finally here!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 10:18:41 AM »
I wouldn't go straight to "fun"  =|

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 10:19:52 AM »
Keep it there, please!

74 forcast today, tomorrow, and satruday.   :cool:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 10:28:43 AM »
Keep it there, please!

74 forcast today, tomorrow, and satruday.   :cool:

Almost the same for me.  A little warmer than that.  If it didn't cool off so much at night it would probably get to the 90's easy around here.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 10:43:04 AM »
We had the 'Snowmageddon' in the Seattle area the past few days.  According to my trusty ruler, I had 11 inches on the ground in Mill Creek (27 miles north of downtown Seattle) at 1700 hours yesterday.  Now is the freezing rain pretty much putting an ice glaze on the roads.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 10:44:47 AM »
We had the 'Snowmageddon' in the Seattle area the past few days.  According to my trusty ruler, I had 11 inches on the ground in Mill Creek (27 miles north of downtown Seattle) at 1700 hours yesterday.  Now is the freezing rain pretty much putting an ice glaze on the roads.

Have fun with that.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 11:26:02 AM »
I don't miss the snow at all. Not at all.

I have to make a run to the post office this morning, then head over to Huntsville, about 30 miles from here, for a 2:00 meeting. If this were WI, and we'd had such a storm, I would have needed to have left half an hour ago.

It's going to be near 60 today and sunny, and 67 and sunny by Sunday. I like it.

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 12:34:52 PM »

I have a brother who lives near you in Lake Stevens; he's just going to work from home this week.

My favorite memory of living in Mill Creek is how beautiful the area was when it snowed. Tough to drive around, though.

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 01:28:15 PM »
I have a brother who lives near you in Lake Stevens; he's just going to work from home this week.

My favorite memory of living in Mill Creek is how beautiful the area was when it snowed. Tough to drive around, though.

Sawdust

I used to take a hilly side street to avoid getting on I-5 just to go up to the next exit (work to hotel), but I couldn't do that if it was snowing.  :O

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 01:58:59 PM »
The local weather people missed this one. We were supposed to get freezing rain this morning, and instead we have heavy snow, and I have at least a couple more inches of accumulation.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 02:15:38 PM »
Helena got eight inches last night  [popcorn]

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 02:16:12 PM »
I miss having seasons.  Of course I don't miss the winter we had last year that shut Tulsa down for almost a week.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 02:17:00 PM »
Helena got eight inches last night  [popcorn]

Almost said something and realized where I was. >:D :facepalm:

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 02:26:50 PM »
And it is still coming down!  Bwhahahahaha.

Days like this I love my land cruiser with really good tires and AWD/locked rear diff.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 02:45:28 PM »
Almost said something and realized where I was. >:D :facepalm:

Between Iraq and a hard place  ???

No snow over there I suppose.  Pity  :angel:

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 08:05:26 PM »
Earned some good karma today, pulled 4 cars off of the side of the road where they were stuck and back into the plowed driving lane.  2 of them were in the middle of downtown partially blocking traffic.  Two had called for a tow truck  and were told they might not get to them tonight!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 08:13:35 PM by 41magsnub »

Lee

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 08:11:28 PM »
My mind is usually in the gutter anyway.  This site is like an icy patch that leads me right to it. 
I'd bet that Helena is pretty slippery bout now.

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2012, 12:21:16 AM »
Now it is coming down even harder.  Again...  Bwahahahahaha!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2012, 01:34:42 AM »
Fine weather here, 'cept for the wind.  Don't open two windows, or you get cross ventilation up the ying-yang.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2012, 01:45:19 AM »
Maybe this is just me, but I wouldn't mind some snow right about now.  This winter has produced only flurries for Kansas City, I'm disappointed!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2012, 01:51:36 AM »
Doesn't Helena get dumped on every other night? Even in July I've seen snow in some nearby areas.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2012, 03:36:21 AM »
Maybe this is just me, but I wouldn't mind some snow right about now.  This winter has produced only flurries for Kansas City, I'm disappointed!

Kansas City usually gets dumped on with a big snow around March.  I would love some snow also.  But right now I am just hoping to get out of here before sandstorm season.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2012, 03:58:13 AM »
I miss having seasons.  Of course I don't miss the winter we had last year that shut Tulsa down for almost a week.

Tulsa pretty much missed round 2 of that mess. We were pretty well shut down for 2 weeks with a 2 day break in the middle. I had 28" on the level and drifts more than halfway to the 10' eaves on my shop. I'd much rather have what we've gotten this year which is mostly nothing.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2012, 07:29:27 AM »
Tulsa pretty much missed round 2 of that mess. We were pretty well shut down for 2 weeks with a 2 day break in the middle. I had 28" on the level and drifts more than halfway to the 10' eaves on my shop. I'd much rather have what we've gotten this year which is mostly nothing.

Yeah Tulsa may have missed the second round of that fiasco but still suffered to some extent from it since half the state was still shut down.  And with the bitter cold that came in afterwards kept them from cleaning the damn roads the right way.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2012, 10:21:48 PM »
...and it finally makes it to Detroit!  Six degrees this morning, very glad I got a new battery a couple weeks ago.  For once was very glad to leave work early for the sabbath-with-family thing, as snow was predicted to roll in right around 6, half an hour before work ends.  I was more than happy to be it out of there at four.  And just walked home from the 'rents through a couple inches of nice, fresh snow, about twenty degrees, still coming down. 

Really glad it's tonight.  On any other night of the week it'd range from a pain in the neck to a serious problem getting home & getting kids to bed on time. Friday night, I got to go out walking in it.  Very glad to have the jogging-style stroller with big tires, or it would've hard.  Tomorrow, if we get a couple more inches, we'll get out the sled for going to see family. 

Yes, it is freakish and weird to be this excited about a little snow in Michigan, but it's been a weird winter.  Seems what weather we have had until today has been planned specifically to make life difficult for me--as in twenty hour drive home from NYC. And then no snow accumulation to play in when we finally made it home.

But tonight is nice.  =)