Author Topic: Winter is finally here!  (Read 7867 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: Winter is finally here!
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2012, 11:41:51 PM »
Milwaukee radio talk show host Mark Belling would always talk about "reverting to the mean" when snowfall was lower than normal in the first part of winter. What he meant was, if an area usually got 100 inches a year, and was behind, the weather would dump enough snow later in the season to reach the 100 inch mark.

It always seemed to play out that way.

Terpsichore

• friend
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2012, 11:52:24 PM »
"If this were WI, and we'd had such a storm, I would have needed to have left half an hour ago."

I think Mother Nature is a little off on her timing this year.  We've had a mild winter up here and the last week we've gotten dumped on.  Roads all over the city and the main highways are slick and icy, the salt trucks can't keep up.  
There is something relaxing in working with sharp pointy things.

What if there were no hypothetical situations?

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2012, 12:05:46 AM »
"If this were WI, and we'd had such a storm, I would have needed to have left half an hour ago."

I think Mother Nature is a little off on her timing this year.  We've had a mild winter up here and the last week we've gotten dumped on.  Roads all over the city and the main highways are slick and icy, the salt trucks can't keep up.  

Yeah, basically no snow until a week ago, and then BOOM! I live in New Berlin, but work in Mequon some days of the week, and the days I'm working in Mequon are the days it snows, such as last week Thursday and today. So far Mother Nature has picked the days I'm up in Mequon to snow, and them it's slippery all the way home.  :facepalm:
Andy

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2012, 10:28:06 AM »
Thirty degrees (F) above here this morning.  Feels like summertime!  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2012, 11:01:19 AM »
Winter is here finally too, got about 3" of snow on the ground. Finally got enough ice to go sit in a heated tent and drink lumberjack coffee or sambuca err I mean ice fishing.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2012, 11:37:05 AM »
Yep, having a slight melt off since it is about 34 degrees. 

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2012, 12:04:29 PM »
We're around 60 today, and supposed to be again tomorrow, but it's rain. No motorcycle riding. :(

Then again, it was 2 degrees last night in Milwaukee, and it sounds like there was an aggravating storm. So I don't feel too bad about the rain.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2012, 12:10:33 PM »
Currently around 46 at 2007 and windy.  Only got up to around 60 today with a strong wind.  Sucks that the first day of my two days off it has to have sucky weather.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2012, 12:16:10 PM »
Currently around 46 at 2007 and windy.  Only got up to around 60 today with a strong wind.  Sucks that the first day of my two days off it has to have sucky weather.

That would be a nice day around here right now  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2012, 12:36:48 PM »
That would be a nice day around here right now  :lol:

I know it is all perspective.  But one can only take so much sand without water next to it for so long, regardless of the weather conditions.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2012, 02:19:04 PM »
But right now I am just hoping to get out of here before sandstorm season.

I think the rainy season just stared in Afghanistan, it's been raining all day .

The best part.... the f^%&ing  CHU / office has 3 leaks! :facepalm: 

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2012, 05:10:21 PM »
I think the rainy season just stared in Afghanistan, it's been raining all day .

The best part.... the f^%&ing  CHU / office has 3 leaks! :facepalm: 

Most of my BDE is there now and I know what you are talking about.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2012, 12:39:09 AM »
We're around 60 today, and supposed to be again tomorrow, but it's rain. No motorcycle riding. :(

Then again, it was 2 degrees last night in Milwaukee, and it sounds like there was an aggravating storm. So I don't feel too bad about the rain.

The only good thing about the single digit temperatures is the "buy one, get one for the price of yesterday's temperature" deal on Big Macs at McDonald's.  =D
Andy

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2012, 02:18:00 AM »
The only good thing about the single digit temperatures is the "buy one, get one for the price of yesterday's temperature" deal on Big Macs at McDonald's.  =D

So do they pay you if the temp drops to negative numbers?

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2012, 06:59:53 AM »
Ticked off.

Yesterday, sleet, freezing rain, this morning the weather man lied, cause that's not just cloudy and cold, it's flipping snow.
 :facepalm:
Tomorrow, maybe more freezing rain.

And then, just in time for my days off, when I don't get up till afternoon anyway, and don't need to go anywhere? 60's and sunny.

The wheather hates me.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2012, 08:55:04 AM »
Ticked off.

Yesterday, sleet, freezing rain, this morning the weather man lied, cause that's not just cloudy and cold, it's flipping snow.
 :facepalm:
Tomorrow, maybe more freezing rain.

And then, just in time for my days off, when I don't get up till afternoon anyway, and don't need to go anywhere? 60's and sunny.

The wheather hates me.

They get paid to lie Liz.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2012, 11:58:32 AM »
They get paid to lie Liz.

Just once, just once, I want one of those guys to admit he's talking out his ass.
Clayton came close this morning with his shocked acknowledgement of a rare weather condition around here.
But no open admitance of "i don't know what the hell i'm talking about"
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2012, 12:08:57 PM »
Just once, just once, I want one of those guys to admit he's talking out his ass.
Clayton came close this morning with his shocked acknowledgement of a rare weather condition around here.
But no open admitance of "i don't know what the hell i'm talking about"

I have seen it a few times living in the Midwest like I do.  Freak thunderstorms out of nowhere and then snow storms that were only supposed to be a dusting and then wake up to a foot with more coming down.  Hardest part of the country to predict weather is in the Midwest.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2012, 08:43:25 PM »
It was 78 here in the DFW area today...........Love it.  I served my pentance in this lifetime shoveling snow in the UP for 22 winters...........chris3