Author Topic: Helium Filled Hard Drives  (Read 7905 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Helium Filled Hard Drives
« on: November 04, 2013, 02:56:03 PM »
I have not heard of these before. What is interesting to me is that there is still an ongoing, and apparently future, demand for mechanical HDs in tech business, especially with outfits like Netflix. I'm seeing 1TB SSDs now, and would think everyone would start migrating to them. Even with the helium, you still have moving parts, heat, and less longevity.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/11/04/why-netflix-loves-helium-filled-hard-drives/?intcmp=obnetwork
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Helium Filled Hard Drives
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 03:07:27 PM »
Hrm, isn't helium relatively scarce? 

I know in HVAC and welding helium has been replaced with cheaper, more available chemicals.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re:
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 03:31:27 PM »
Yeah there's supposedly a helium shortage
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 03:32:27 PM »

I know in HVAC and welding helium has been replaced with cheaper, more available chemicals.

An article from 2012 about the Helium shortage.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/health/med-tech/why-is-there-a-helium-shortage-10031229
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 03:41:36 PM by adively »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 05:25:13 PM »
I have not heard of these before. What is interesting to me is that there is still an ongoing, and apparently future, demand for mechanical HDs in tech business, especially with outfits like Netflix. I'm seeing 1TB SSDs now, and would think everyone would start migrating to them. Even with the helium, you still have moving parts, heat, and less longevity.

Cost is still the big issue.  At current retail prices SSD's cost about ten times more per storage unit than do HDD's (sixty cents per GB versus six cents).

Brad
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 05:57:17 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 06:15:35 PM »
"Helium Filled Hard Drives"

Wouldn't that make your MP3s sound funny?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 06:20:47 PM »
Cost is still the big issue.  At current retail prices SSD's cost about ten times more per storage unit than do HDD's (sixty cents per GB versus six cents).

Brad

I was figuring somebody like Netflix is gonna get a pretty raging discount. I have no idea how much these hermetically sealed drives woukl run for an adequate cost comparison. You're right that the big SSDs are still a bit high, but prices are dropping like crazy, even in the retail realm.  I would guess that in the next one to one and a half years, we'll be seeing 1TB SSDs at the <$200 price point.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 06:33:32 PM »
I thought all HDDs were already hermetically sealed.  In my office we don't need the storage of the larger HDDs, but we do need the speed of the SSDs.  I have 3 256GB SSDs in a RAID5 array on all our new workstations.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 10:31:52 PM »
Helium shortage?  Bah!  Just set off a bunch of hydrogen bombs.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 08:13:43 AM »

Our NMR Spectrotrometer is a superconducting magnet surrounded by liquid helium.
If it 'quenches' and releases its helium, I know that the cost is in the 10s of thousands of dollars to have it refilled.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 08:26:56 AM »
I thought all HDDs were already hermetically sealed.  In my office we don't need the storage of the larger HDDs, but we do need the speed of the SSDs.  I have 3 256GB SSDs in a RAID5 array on all our new workstations.

There's a difference between "hermetically sealed" when the inside environment is normal atmospheric mix, or maybe a dry Nitrogen purge at roughly the same air pressure as the outside environment, and when it's trying to contain something with such a low atomic weight like Helium.

Stuff has to be tight, and also produced or machined to much tighter tolerances, or the little He atoms slip right out. I'd suspect that because He is also a Noble Gas/Element, it may have additional challenges at containment too.
I promise not to duck.

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 09:02:26 AM »
There's a difference between "hermetically sealed" when the inside environment is normal atmospheric mix, or maybe a dry Nitrogen purge at roughly the same air pressure as the outside environment, and when it's trying to contain something with such a low atomic weight like Helium.

Stuff has to be tight, and also produced or machined to much tighter tolerances, or the little He atoms slip right out. I'd suspect that because He is also a Noble Gas/Element, it may have additional challenges at containment too.

Point taken.  Thank you.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 09:15:40 AM »
I am surprised they couldn't use Hydrogen as an alternative if the drives are sealed well.  It would be a good bit less expensive.  It is flamable, but if it is sealed, it is sealed. That little bit escaping in a leak isn't much with all the cooling fans cycling air. 

I know hydrogen is used as a heat transfer fluid in some power generators like GE Cogen generators. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 09:25:13 AM »
I am surprised they couldn't use Hydrogen as an alternative if the drives are sealed well.  It would be a good bit less expensive.  It is flamable, but if it is sealed, it is sealed. That little bit escaping in a leak isn't much with all the cooling fans cycling air.  

I know hydrogen is used as a heat transfer fluid in some power generators like GE Cogen generators.  

You know, no matter how idiot proof you make it, there will always be a more creative idiot.  Then you get the reputation as the company with the exploding hard drives, there's a CNN special report, dramatic music, "Breaking News", etc.....   Dateline NBC would hire the same company that "tested" the gas tanks on the Chevy pickup trucks back in the early 90's, you'd see footage of the hard drive interspersed with images of Hiroshima, "OMG HYDROGEN BOMBS!!!"  All because some moron decided to open a hydrogen-filled hard drive while smoking a cigarette.

Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 09:48:29 AM »
OH, the humanity!

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2013, 09:58:41 AM »
You know, no matter how idiot proof you make it, there will always be a more creative idiot.  Then you get the reputation as the company with the exploding hard drives, there's a CNN special report, dramatic music, "Breaking News", etc.....   Dateline NBC would hire the same company that "tested" the gas tanks on the Chevy pickup trucks back in the early 90's, you'd see footage of the hard drive interspersed with images of Hiroshima, "OMG HYDROGEN BOMBS!!!"  All because some moron decided to open a hydrogen-filled hard drive while smoking a cigarette.

1.  The hydrogen would NOT be mixed with oxygen inside the drive.
2.  Even if someone opened it up, the volume would be less than a cubic foot ( I assume it isn't pressurized to any great degree).  At most you would get a Poof! if lit right when it was opened.  Flammable gas cylinders don't explode, they emit a jet of flame since the gas doesn't burn until it leaves and mixes with air.  This would be low or no pressure at all.  Also, it could be restricted to industrial/commercial applications only.

Pure oxygen cylinders do explode in the right circumstances.  Or at least the stuff that flash burns does.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2013, 10:10:24 AM »
Oh, you and I (and most everyone with more than two functioning neurons to rub together) knows that.   The problem is the monosynaptic morons out there that fancy themselves l33t h4x0rz as well as the media that wants to be "first to point out the danger of _____________".  

Think about it this way - take what the media knows about firearms, and apply the same lack of logic to hydrogen filled hard drives.    That's how you would get the,

"ERMAGERD, ARE "
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 10:59:33 AM by AmbulanceDriver »
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2013, 10:18:17 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_embrittlement

Might have something to do with why...

Could also be pressure and density issues with H2 in terms of the Bernoulli principle being used to keep the R/W heads off of the platters.
I promise not to duck.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2013, 10:39:18 AM »
1.  The hydrogen would NOT be mixed with oxygen inside the drive.
2.  Even if someone opened it up, the volume would be less than a cubic foot ( I assume it isn't pressurized to any great degree).  At most you would get a Poof! if lit right when it was opened.  Flammable gas cylinders don't explode, they emit a jet of flame since the gas doesn't burn until it leaves and mixes with air.  This would be low or no pressure at all.  Also, it could be restricted to industrial/commercial applications only.

Pure oxygen cylinders do explode in the right circumstances.  Or at least the stuff that flash burns does.

How dare you quote facts and common sense, don't you know there's hydrogen in there?  HYDROGEN??!!  ZOMG!!!!!!!!

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2013, 11:19:19 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_embrittlement

Might have something to do with why...

Could also be pressure and density issues with H2 in terms of the Bernoulli principle being used to keep the R/W heads off of the platters.

These two came to mind, as well as how difficult it is to contain H2.  But, that's also a problem with helium, so maybe it's not an issue here.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2013, 12:02:31 PM »
"Helium Filled Hard Drives"

Wouldn't that make your MP3s sound funny?

Good point! Although, I'd be more worried about my computer floating away! :P
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2013, 08:19:45 PM »
That reminds me about a news story 10 or 15 years ago.  The army or someone was going to send a few rail cars full of napalm to the Houston Ship Channel to be burned/disposed of by a local company.  The news. Was trying to stir up a bunch of concern about it worrying about it exploding or something. 

The stupid part was if these news people knew anything about all the chemicals produced and in use by chemical plants on the ship channel, a little napalm would be nothing.  Hell, the city of Houston was running LNG buses at that time. 

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2013, 06:28:37 AM »
I was figuring somebody like Netflix is gonna get a pretty raging discount.

Whether you pay retail, OEM, or distributor pricing the important bit is that the ratios stay the same...  If you're buying enough to get SSDs for 'half price', that's also enough to get the hard drives for half price, thus the ratio remains 1:10 for raw storage.

You're right that the big SSDs are still a bit high, but prices are dropping like crazy, even in the retail realm.  I would guess that in the next one to one and a half years, we'll be seeing 1TB SSDs at the <$200 price point.

Netflix needs the storage NOW, not in a year and a half. 

A quick check shows that a 1TB SSD starts at $600 over on newegg.  You can get a 3TB HD for $130, or $43 per TB.  Or basically a 14X price penalty for storage.

Even at below $200 you're still looking at it costing 4X as much. 

I have no idea how much these hermetically sealed drives woukl run for an adequate cost comparison.

Not sure about the helium filled drive part, logically speaking they're using helium to avoid expansion issues, while avoiding any particulates etc...  Normal HD's aren't even sealed - there's a vent behind a hefty filter.

SSDs have their place, but given that Netflix mostly does streaming where you tend to feed blocks sequentially anyways and not do random reads where SSDs are strong, it's not playing to the strengths of SSD.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 07:48:19 AM by Firethorn »

brimic

• friends
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2013, 08:13:23 AM »
That reminds me about a news story 10 or 15 years ago.  The army or someone was going to send a few rail cars full of napalm to the Houston Ship Channel to be burned/disposed of by a local company.  The news. Was trying to stir up a bunch of concern about it worrying about it exploding or something. 

The stupid part was if these news people knew anything about all the chemicals produced and in use by chemical plants on the ship channel, a little napalm would be nothing.  Hell, the city of Houston was running LNG buses at that time. 

There was a similar story made about nothing in the upper midwest about burning napalm for disposal.
The masses are asses when it comes to most things.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2013, 09:10:27 AM »
There was a similar story made about nothing in the upper midwest about burning napalm for disposal.
The masses are asses when it comes to most things.
Yeah, forget about chemical plants, do people really realize all the chemicals that travel across the nation every day in trucks and rail cars?  Maybe I shouldn't tell them.