Author Topic: Helium Filled Hard Drives  (Read 7906 times)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Helium Filled Hard Drives
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2013, 01:59:06 PM »
I watch hundreds of those black insulated molten sulfur tanker cars go buy on many of the trains here in Wisconsin. I think people think they're full of oil or something.  =D
I promise not to duck.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2013, 02:38:41 PM »
I can't think of a reason to use He in a hard drive other than the fact that it's non-reactive, and couldn't they use Argon?
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2013, 02:39:11 PM »
lower density than Argon
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2013, 04:39:38 PM »
I watch hundreds of those black insulated molten sulfur tanker cars go buy on many of the trains here in Wisconsin. I think people think they're full of oil or something.  =D
Just tell them they are filled with jellied gasoline and see what they say.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2013, 04:48:19 PM »
Just tell them they are filled with jellied gasoline and see what they say.   =D

I would eat that if it was a donut.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2013, 05:51:34 PM »
I can't think of a reason to use He in a hard drive other than the fact that it's non-reactive, and couldn't they use Argon?

From the article:

Modern hard drives store data on five metal platters that spin at up to 15,000 revolutions per minute, so fast in fact that drag from the tiny amount of air they whistle through is a problem. But at one-seventh the density of air, helium provides far less resistance for those spinning disks, letting the company pack in more disks that require less power and therefore cost less to operate.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2013, 06:07:40 PM »
Yeah, forget about chemical plants, do people really realize all the chemicals that travel across the nation every day in trucks and rail cars?  Maybe I shouldn't tell them.

Chemicals? Like milk? Fruit juice? Nail polish?  ;)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife