Author Topic: Was told I am dangerous, I disagree  (Read 7892 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Was told I am dangerous, I disagree
« on: October 23, 2014, 09:41:22 AM »
Coworker told me I am dangerous on the highway.  Here is the deal - I am putting ~650 highway miles per weekend on the Subaru during hunting season.  In an attempt to keep my costs down I am doing 65MPH* on the 4 lane interstates.  This keeps my whole trip average at around 31MPG.  If I go the speed limit it drops to ~27MPG.  At this speed I can stick the Subaru in 6th gear, set the cruise control, and let it roll the entire way.  He thinks this is dangerous, I think it is fine and is saving me a few bucks. 

*This is all on a stretch of highway with very light traffic at the times I am driving, it's not the business loop around Seattle or something.  I will step on it as needed, for example I'm not the guy inching past a truck while there are 87 cars backed up behind me in the left lane.  There is a 2 lane stretch between I-15 and I-90 that I roll with traffic on, going 70-75.  If the traffic starts thickening up I speed up appropriately.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Was told I am dangerous, I disagree
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 09:50:56 AM »
Coworker told me I am dangerous on the highway.  Here is the deal - I am putting ~650 highway miles per weekend on the Subaru during hunting season.  In an attempt to keep my costs down I am doing 65MPH* on the 4 lane interstates.  This keeps my whole trip average at around 31MPG.  If I go the speed limit it drops to ~27MPG.  At this speed I can stick the Subaru in 6th gear, set the cruise control, and let it roll the entire way.  He thinks this is dangerous, I think it is fine and is saving me a few bucks. 

*This is all on a stretch of highway with very light traffic at the times I am driving, it's not the business loop around Seattle or something.  I will step on it as needed, for example I'm not the guy inching past a truck while there are 87 cars backed up behind me in the left lane.  There is a 2 lane stretch between I-15 and I-90 that I roll with traffic on, going 70-75.  If the traffic starts thickening up I speed up appropriately.

What's the speed limit on that stretch?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 09:51:47 AM »

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 10:06:27 AM »
If you're speeding up when other cars are around, that's fine. If not, you create a situation where drivers behind you may make risky moves to get around you. 10 mph is a big speed differential.

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 10:18:28 AM »
The only time it ever feels dangerous is when some guy rolling way over the speed limit passes me.  The high speed differential is a bit unnerving.  Frequently I catch up to that same person in a curvy section because they are fine with rolling at 90+ in the straights but then get chicken out and go 45 around the bends.  Those are the people I worry about the most.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 10:42:54 AM by 41magsnub »

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 10:39:58 AM »
On limited access highways, the big cause of crashes is not speed, but difference in speed between slow and fast folk.  Something like 85% of drivers will cluster about a speed , posted limits or no, because that is where that 85% are in their comfort zone.  Driving outside that zone, high OR low, increases the odds of an accident.

Now, I don't know if that makes you "dangerous," but the odds indicate "more dangerous than if 41magsnub ran with the herd."
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 10:40:12 AM »
65 vs 75?  Not a problem with me.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 10:47:14 AM »
I think that as long as you're staying in the far right hand lane when driving slower it should not be a problem.  I see that occasionally on the stretches of interstate I travel where the speed limit is 75 mph. 
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 10:53:32 AM »
I don't worry as much about speed differentials on the open highway if it's uncrowded, especially at higher speeds. That is, as long as the person in front of me (if I'm going faster) allows me to pass. Easy enough on long stretches where you can see far enough in front to pass safely. Otherwise, if it's very curvy and passing is difficult/unsafe, if the person is going slow, them using a turnout is nice (given single lane and no passing lanes). Of course that doesn't do much for their gas mileage.

When I've been on interstate trips and hit some of the 80MPH highways, I actually find that speed to be higher than I like to drive. The areas where I've seen that though, have been multi-lane highways, so it's really easy for others to pass me.

Also, for kicks: high speed limits in the various states:

« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 10:57:02 AM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 11:00:15 AM »
I don't worry as much about speed differentials on the open highway if it's uncrowded, especially at higher speeds. That is, as long as the person in front of me (if I'm going faster) allows me to pass. Easy enough on long stretches where you can see far enough in front to pass safely. Otherwise, if it's very curvy and passing is difficult/unsafe, if the person is going slow, them using a turnout is nice (given single lane and no passing lanes). Of course that doesn't do much for their gas mileage.

When I've been on interstate trips and hit some of the 80MPH highways, I actually find that speed to be higher than I like to drive. The areas where I've seen that though, have been multi-lane highways, so it's really easy for others to pass me.

Also, for kicks: high speed limits in the various states:

Loves me that bit of TX-130 toll road that is 85MPH.  Allows me to avoid Austin in speed and comfort.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 11:03:36 AM »
Intentionally creating a condition which impedes the general flow of traffic, especially on something asheaviky travelled as an interstate, is inherently unsafe. Either go with the flow or find roadways which support yourr self-imposed speed restriction.

FYI...
650 miles @ 31 mpg = 21.97 gallons
650 miles @ 27 mpg = 24.07 gallons

Congrats, you save a whopping twelve bucks, and in the process you place every other driver in peril. Just say no.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 11:11:34 AM »
Also, at that kind of distance, the 10 MPH difference adds up in total time.  75 would cut over an hour of time off the trip.  For me, that is more important than 12 bucks.  Plus, I am more comfortable going just above average speed than just below. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 11:12:35 AM »
The driving is in several blocks over the weekend so the hour of time doesn't really make much difference.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 11:17:09 AM »
On limited access highways, the big cause of crashes is not speed, but difference in speed between slow and fast folk.  Something like 85% of drivers will cluster about a speed , posted limits or no, because that is where that 85% are in their comfort zone.  Driving outside that zone, high OR low, increases the odds of an accident.

Now, I don't know if that makes you "dangerous," but the odds indicate "more dangerous than if 41magsnub ran with the herd."
To me, it is more dangerous driving with the pack.  With no one around me, I don't have to worry if I inadvertently drift a little or if other cars around me make sudden moves.  I get more nervous with other cars around.

Plus, IMO, many of the drivers who herd with the group are the type that hit the brakes automatically if anything happens.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2014, 11:19:19 AM »
The driving is in several blocks over the weekend so the hour of time doesn't really make much difference.
I would likely want to go over 65 regardless.  Everyone has their own priorities and perspective.  I try to remember that when I get ticked off at other people's driving. 

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2014, 11:20:09 AM »
To me, it is more dangerous driving with the pack.  With no one around me, I don't have to worry if I inadvertently drift a little or if other cars around me make sudden moves.  I get more nervous with other cars around.

Then match speed with the packs while keeping a good margin between them; if you're going slower than they are, then there will always be new packs catching up with you.

Also, at that kind of distance, the 10 MPH difference adds up in total time.  75 would cut over an hour of time off the trip.  For me, that is more important than 12 bucks.  Plus, I am more comfortable going just above average speed than just below.

And in summer, that would be an hour less of air conditioner use.  You have to bear in mind that there are speed-independent loads like the alternator, power steering pump (interestingly, the bypass on mine doesn't cut in until 70mph) and air conditioning that can only be improved by reducing the drive time so they're not running as long.

Do a piston soak, clean up the intake and get an OBDII reader for a smartphone so you can see MPG calculated via GPS speed and actual EFI flow rate.  Bet you're not saving anything significant by slowing down.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2014, 11:25:22 AM »
Intentionally creating a condition which impedes the general flow of traffic, especially on something asheaviky travelled as an interstate, is inherently unsafe. Either go with the flow or find roadways which support yourr self-imposed speed restriction.

Interstate highways in Montana (and much of Wyoming) are not very heavily traveled.  When I'm trying to go the speed limit (say, 75), I'd rather pass someone doing 65 or even 60 or 55 than someone doing 73.  Just watch what's in front of you, and pull over to the left lane and pass and be done with it.  The most frustrating is someone going just under the limit which forces you to either slow down, speed, or spend several miles overtaking, in which time someone usually comes up behind doing way over the limit  ;/

Driving slow on the two-lane (most are 70 limit in MT) is more dangerous than on the interstate as there is not always a chance to pass.

I try to drive at least 65 as that is the truck speed limit in MT.

Our little car averages 29-31 on the highway, but I have gotten as much as 40 driving through the mountains at 45-65 mph (as fast as you could safely or legally go).
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2014, 11:34:25 AM »
The most frustrating is someone going just under the limit which forces you to either slow down, speed, or spend several miles overtaking, in which time someone usually comes up behind doing way over the limit  ;/

Or the one I got behind on US281 last weekend; 65 in a 75 on the two lane, but then when we finally got a passing lane, I was matching speed with him at 80 uphill.  Good thing the Saturn still had a bit of torque left to bump it up to 85 and get around him.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2014, 11:36:49 AM »
Or the one I got behind on US281 last weekend; 65 in a 75 on the two lane, but then when we finally got a passing lane, I was matching speed with him at 80 uphill.  Good thing the Saturn still had a bit of torque left to bump it up to 85 and get around him.
What was my mom doing in Texas?  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2014, 11:44:34 AM »

My one up'er story!

Was behind a crossover SUV of some kind on highway 200 (2 lane with some good straight shots to pass but very infrequent passing lanes).  He would drop to 35-40 in the curves (no passing zone), but then floor it as soon as it got straight until it got up to about 80.  Average speed was maybe 50.  He was driving some kind of late model crossover with significantly more power than my car making passing impossible.  The plates on the car were for the county I was driving to so I pulled over and took a nap for 15 minutes since driving behind the guy was enraging.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2014, 11:46:21 AM »
4 lanes total, or 4 lanes on your side?
If there is very little traffic and you're staying out of the fast lane (or accelerating in the fast lane to pass slower traffic in your lane), then I don't see any issue anyway.  Semi trucks rarely go 75mph+ anymore, and they're all over the highway.  What about gravel and cement trucks?  People towing campers?
Your co-worker is an idiot.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

brimic

• friends
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2014, 11:48:50 AM »

FYI...
650 miles @ 31 mpg = 21.97 gallons
650 miles @ 27 mpg = 24.07 gallons

Congrats, you save a whopping twelve bucks, and in the process you place every other driver in peril. Just say no.

Brad

LOL, so true. When one factors in what their time is worth, the savings just aren't there. Driving 10 mph slower costs him ~1hr 20minutes, I'm as cheap as they come, but I won't sit in a car 80 minutes if someone paid me $12 to do it.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2014, 11:51:48 AM »
Standard 4 lane interstate (2 lanes each direction).

I am still passing trucks.  I like my car too much to drive so slow that I get passed by semi's and what not, too many rocks.

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2014, 11:54:37 AM »
I think folks are applying their experience in a much higher traffic density area to where I am.  Light traffic here means there are no other cars in sight the majority of the time.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2014, 12:02:34 PM »
My one up'er story!

Was behind a crossover SUV of some kind on highway 200 (2 lane with some good straight shots to pass but very infrequent passing lanes).  He would drop to 35-40 in the curves (no passing zone), but then floor it as soon as it got straight until it got up to about 80.  Average speed was maybe 50.  He was driving some kind of late model crossover with significantly more power than my car making passing impossible.

Fortunately, on the routes I take a lot, I know where there are clear curves; the ones where you still have good visibility to pass.  In the above situation, I'll keep on the gas and pass him as he slows down before he gets fully into the curve.

For the ones who only speed up when you pull out to pass, it's more fun to use that to slingshot them into a tight curve, known speed trap or a school zone, nailing your brakes just in time. :)