Author Topic: Was told I am dangerous, I disagree  (Read 7894 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Was told I am dangerous, I disagree
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2014, 10:21:02 AM »
But down in Colorado, 99% want to drive 25mph over the speed limit, either on the interstate or on some winding mountain pass with hairpin curves marked 10mph, or in heavy rain on a rutted two lane with several inches of standing water  :facepalm:

So you think I ought to be squealing the tires on every corner or risk hydroplaning off into the Yampa River just because somebody else wants to speed  ???  (not to mention being the out of state driver that gets a ticket)

That always bothers the hell out of me too, and is where my courtesy to fast drivers ends. If you're trying to tailgate me into going as fast as you on a narrow, windy road, sorry, but suck it up. I'm driving a safe speed for me. I'll pull into a turnout when I safely can, but if you're tailgaiting me, I'm not going to slam on my brakes to make that little one car length gravel turnout that just popped up 100 feet ahead on the other side of the curve, and either run myself off the road or get rear ended by you.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2014, 10:57:52 AM »
So if 85% or other drivers exceed the speed limit, thus breaking the law, we should break the law too?

Sorry, I can't agree to that. Speed limits are maximum speed limits (except for maybe two roads I've seen in my entire life that stated a minimum speed -- 40 MPH -- in addition to the maximum limit). It's not unlawful to drive slower than the posted speed limit. It IS unlawful to drive faster.

Hawk, just because a limit is posted does not automatically make it either practical or safe. Legality notwithstanding, maintaining the same speed as 85th percentile drivers around you is, statistically speaking, the safest way to travel.

This. 

By the same logic, if 85 percent of the drivers obeyed the speed limit, then by your analysis driving at the speed limit would magically become safe.

I stand by my statement. The fact that 85 percent of drivers routinely exceed the speed limit, coupled with the fact that it is the differentials in speed that can be dangerous, doesn't mean that the one person who obeys the speed limits (which are set according to traffic engineering analyses for safety) is creating an unsafe condition. Rather, it's the 85 percent who choose to ignore the legal limit who are creating the unsafe condition.

It is not magic, merely reality.

Your statement stands on its knees, after having taken a blow to the solar plexus by numerous traffic studies over the decades.  Posted speed limits have little to do with actual highway safety. If the 85th percentile is above the posted limit, it is the dumbass lawmakers and regulators who are creating the unsafe conditions.

Speeding tickets are a racket, where the gov't extorts cash from those using the taxpayer-funded highways.  They have nearly zero moral content and are merely an irregularly assessed use tax.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2014, 12:26:51 PM »
CA is 55MPH, which can be up to 15MPH less. I actually don't see that many big rigs doing 55MPH in the areas where you can drive 70MPH. They generally (probably the independent guys without a meter?) are doing up to a tad over 60MPH in those zones (with the occasional speed demon doing 70MPH. In my experience though, as a whole the big rig guys are much better on the road than passenger vehicle drivers. Sure, there are jerks, but they seem to be a smaller portion of that population than the general driving population. Additionally, I'm probably giving them a bit more leeway than I do passenger vehicle drivers, knowing that they have a whole lot more vehicle and weight to handle.
Yeah, in general I'd much rather share the road with big rigs, though they are not as polite and professional as I remember from years ago (we had a psycho big rig a few years ago in N. CO).  It does bother me when a truck following another truck pulls into the left lane just as I am starting to pass them both, but I cut them some slack knowing that in a car I can slow down and speed up much more easily than they can.

That always bothers the hell out of me too, and is where my courtesy to fast drivers ends. If you're trying to tailgate me into going as fast as you on a narrow, windy road, sorry, but suck it up. I'm driving a safe speed for me. I'll pull into a turnout when I safely can, but if you're tailgaiting me, I'm not going to slam on my brakes to make that little one car length gravel turnout that just popped up 100 feet ahead on the other side of the curve, and either run myself off the road or get rear ended by you.
Sometimes I think about giving up on gas mileage and drive a pickup/suv to Colorado and back.  It's a lot more scary in a little econo-box when some ice-hole is 10 feet behind your rear bumper coming down the pass  =(   I'd would like to let him(her?) eat a ball mount if I had a full size rig with a receiver hitch  >:D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2014, 01:21:16 PM »
Was just going to mention this. Mine is governed to 65 and I generally run 62 to help ensure the fuel bonus and give me a little headroom for passing if I come up on somebody. Interestingly the vehicles I run up on most often are Ranger pickups followed by mid Eighties Toyota pickups (what few haven't been taken South)

If it was my 86 ranger sorry but that was as fast as she would go. Though I did loan it to a kid who got a ticket going 105. He also brought it back with a blown head gasket and a 4 speed from a 5 speed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2014, 11:12:39 PM »
I would love to know what the actual speed of the 85th percentile is on a Friday afternoon driving I-15 from L.A. to L.V.  I've done it, a few times.  But I surely can't tell you the speed, cuz my eyes were too busy scanning the road and tracking the other traffic to waste any time looking at the speedometer.  I will say it can be a helluva rush!
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

• friends
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2014, 11:53:02 PM »
10 years ago at 5 am the left lane of 95 north headed to dc was 85 plus. And I have been passed

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2014, 10:59:36 AM »
I would love to know what the actual speed of the 85th percentile is on a Friday afternoon driving I-15 from L.A. to L.V.  I've done it, a few times.  But I surely can't tell you the speed, cuz my eyes were too busy scanning the road and tracking the other traffic to waste any time looking at the speedometer.  I will say it can be a helluva rush!

That's how it is driving I-25 through Denver  =(

Sometimes the traffic gets backed up and slows way down, but the instant that it gets moving again you better floor it to keep up and not be run over  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2014, 11:13:04 AM »
The other nice thing about speed limits is how everyone hits the brakes when a cop is on the side of the road or pulling someone over.  Everything is fine intil the wave of braking cars reaches the overpass up the road where visibility gets low and you end up with rear end collisions. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

• friends
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2014, 10:13:09 PM »
That cop can be on the other side of the divided highway too. With a jersey wall between