Author Topic: Inflation Rate Worst in 17 Years  (Read 10279 times)

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Re: Inflation Rate Worst in 17 Years
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2008, 04:03:25 PM »
Re the gas tax proposal:  I get fed up with our societal "free lunch" deal about the gas tax.  The purpose is to pay for construction and maintenance of highways.  It's way too low to do that.  But if DOT says, "We don't have the money for that new highway unless it's a toll road," folks go all bonkers about the evils of toll roads.

TANSTAAFL

Actually, if they spent the fuel taxes on roads instead of mass transit boondoggles and other damnfool enterprises, it would be sufficient.  From what I have read, 40% of fuel taxes are sucked off for mass-transit and other wastes.  Spend that 40% on 12-lane monster freeways and pave our way back to sane commute times.

Another data point I read last week was that the LA light rail system costs $234 million more per year to operate than it generates in revenue and serves less than 1/10% of the commuting folks in LA.  That $234 million/year does not take into account the initial cost of building the abortion.

A couple years ago the Chicago rail system was more than that, in the hole.
Nothing but Transportational Welfare.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2008, 05:11:45 PM »
Outside of food and energy, inflation rose a more moderate 0.2 percent in December

See, if people would just give up luxuries like food, transportation, and heating their homes, they could just stay at home and be happy watching their big screen TVs.  rolleyes

When I graduated from HS in 1972, min wage was $1.60/hr (IIRC) and gas was 30 to 32 cents per gallon.  Now gas is $3++ a gallon, so min wage should be $16/hr  shocked

(not that I believe in govt mandated min wage - just making a comparison)
Our unwillingness to drill and refine oil is the prime factor in all of this inflation.  Lack of production drives up fuel prices needlessly.  The high fuel prices make ethanol sound like a sane idea when in fact it's not, which drives up food prices because cropland is diverted from food to fuel.

We could solve the fuel problem pretty easily, but it appears that we don't want to.

Regardless, I think it goes to show that the current inflation isn't caused by systemic problems with the economy.  It is the inevitable result of government (environmentalists within the government, specifically) meddling with the oil supply.  I'm not saying inflation and limited oil supply aren't a problem, but I don't think it means that the economy is rotten all the way through.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2008, 05:21:41 AM »
Yeah the Jewish religion is funny that way.

Please explain your comment to me.
One day at a time.