Author Topic: The individualistic community builder  (Read 12304 times)

The Annoyed Man

The individualistic community builder
« on: May 20, 2008, 04:58:15 AM »
Hello fellow individualists!

I'm interested in some feedback, and I hope it's not considered rude to ask for it here since the feedback I want is in regards to another bulletin board/forum.

I've set up a site at http://r3v0lut10n.com/ with the long term goal of finding like minded people interested in building a physical community together. Or maybe more than one community.

I want to live in a gun friendly place where individualism and independence are valued but balanced with community spirit. Sort of like the idea behind http://freestateproject.org but on a smaller more personal scale. Pretty idealistic, I know, but I'm willing to try anyhow. What are my markets to find people who might be interested in kicking around ideas for a few years and then investing time, funds and sweat equity?

If you know places I should be recruiting, I'd love to hear from you. I don't want to feel politically and socially outcast for the rest of my life - we human beings are social animals.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Re: The individualistic community builder
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 06:14:28 AM »
Well, I'd be inclined to take the effort more seriously if you'd have spelled revolution correctly in the URL.

Noble idea though.  Sorta like I take my role on my HOA's board.  Attend to matters of import to the COMMUNITY (vandalism, keeping the grass green, costs down and budget in the black) while not getting into other people's business.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 06:21:11 AM »
IT been tried.

Including the guys at Front Sight.

Failed epically every time.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 06:42:29 AM »
IT been tried.

Including the guys at Front Sight.

Failed epically every time.

Two thoughts regarding that -

1) Most successful people have failed many times.
2) The guys at Front Sight tried to start a gun friendly community?

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 06:44:02 AM »

Yes, by selling land plots to Front Sight trainees.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 06:51:31 AM »

Yes, by selling land plots to Front Sight trainees.

I don't know much about Front Sight. How many did they sell? What were the benefits being touted? Can I go somewhere and read about this grand experiment?

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 06:55:14 AM »
Front Sight website:

http://www.frontsight.com/

Anti-FS lawsuit:

http://www.frontsightlitigation.com/

Wiki sez:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_sight

In March 2008, Front Sight received zoning, planning, and tentative map approval from the Nye County Planning Department and Nye County Commissioners for a destination hotel and interval ownership condominium development on a portion of the 550 acre facility in Nevada.[17] Previously, the land on the facility was intended to be used for a housing development[18] expected to be "the safest community in America", but due to the results of the 2006 class action lawsuit, the plans were changed.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 07:03:13 AM »
Front Sight website:

http://www.frontsight.com/

Anti-FS lawsuit:

http://www.frontsightlitigation.com/

Wiki sez:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_sight

In March 2008, Front Sight received zoning, planning, and tentative map approval from the Nye County Planning Department and Nye County Commissioners for a destination hotel and interval ownership condominium development on a portion of the 550 acre facility in Nevada.[17] Previously, the land on the facility was intended to be used for a housing development[18] expected to be "the safest community in America", but due to the results of the 2006 class action lawsuit, the plans were changed.

The legal link is useless but the rest was informative, so thanks. Front Sight ads appear on my blog often and now I know a little bit about them. Sounds like they failed to deliver on something in regards to their planned community.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 08:46:36 AM »
A lot of people would say the were scamming people out-right.  But then, you hear a lot of things. 

I think there's a compound down in Texas that might be on the auction block pretty soon.   laugh
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 09:06:48 AM »
Yep, they don't seem beholden to contemporary American pop culture, fo-sho.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 10:14:00 AM »
There's a real estate company that specializes in real estate for survivalists - 'tactical retreats' or whatever.

You may want to look into that.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 11:37:36 AM »
I've set up a site at http://r3v0lut10n.com/ with the long term goal of finding like minded people interested in building a physical community together. Or maybe more than one community.

It's called "gulching"  (after "Galt's Gulch" -- comprendes Galt's Gulch?).  I know of one site dedicated to that.

Good luck.  Individualists tend to be, ya-know, individualistic.  Prickly.  Sometimes argumentative.  There's a reason they're libertarian. 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 12:41:11 PM »
Isn't 'Like-Minded Individualists' a bit self-contradictory?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 06:04:29 PM »
Sort of like herding cats Wink
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 06:54:10 PM »
Isn't 'Like-Minded Individualists' a bit self-contradictory?

Not really.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 06:59:31 PM »
Sort of like herding cats

Hey, Freyja can do it, and she's a GIRL!!!  grin
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2008, 07:51:48 PM »
It sounds like you're trying to create a community of anarchists.  From experience I'd say anarchists make better virtual neighbors than physical ones.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2008, 08:40:39 AM »
community of anarchists

That pretty much describes my neighborhood  grin
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2008, 04:49:53 PM »
A lot of people would say the were scamming people out-right.  But then, you hear a lot of things. 

I think there's a compound down in Texas that might be on the auction block pretty soon.   laugh

I've seen the footage - not that interested. Smiley

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2008, 04:52:20 PM »

It's called "gulching"  (after "Galt's Gulch" -- comprendes Galt's Gulch?).  I know of one site dedicated to that.

Good luck.  Individualists tend to be, ya-know, individualistic.  Prickly.  Sometimes argumentative.  There's a reason they're libertarian. 

I figure there have to be people compatible with me. Hell, for all I know we'll end up building a community where all we do all day is sit in our underground fortresses arguing on a bulletin board. Better than not trying...

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2008, 04:53:57 PM »
It sounds like you're trying to create a community of anarchists.  From experience I'd say anarchists make better virtual neighbors than physical ones.

Specifically, I would like to be a part of a community of minarchists. Anarchists spend too much time fighting everything. I only want to fight about important issues. My list could be kept on one page.

Should leave some time for things besides arguing about things.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2008, 04:55:33 PM »
40 cal,  Do you mean something like this ??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0f2aFhZ3Uk
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2008, 04:57:38 PM »
Well, I'd be inclined to take the effort more seriously if you'd have spelled revolution correctly in the URL.

Noble idea though.  Sorta like I take my role on my HOA's board.  Attend to matters of import to the COMMUNITY (vandalism, keeping the grass green, costs down and budget in the black) while not getting into other people's business.

I spelled revolution the way I did because the proper spelling was taken Smiley The way I spelled it is called L33T. All ya got to do is bookmark the thing and ignore the spelling!

I would like to have a community where the HOA talks about stuff like how to defend the community perimeter in case of civil unrest (in addition to all the mundane stuff like why the sign at the entrance is in disrepair).

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2008, 05:00:48 PM »
40 cal,  Do you mean something like this ??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0f2aFhZ3Uk

I found that skit to be very funny, and yes, gay cast members would be allowed in the community. Why not? I'm only worried about sociopolitical views.

The Annoyed Man