Author Topic: Christmas Eve with liberals (not political)  (Read 13386 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Christmas Eve with liberals (not political)
« on: December 25, 2008, 12:25:10 PM »
My 90 year-old mother is recently widowed, and I didn't want her to be sitting in her assisted living facility on Christmas Eve, so I suggested that my wife and I take her to my wife's family gathering.

Our brother-in-law (wife's sister's husband) is a level-headed conservative, and he's brought my sister-in-law a long way from the unthinking liberalism of her family. (I've done the same with my wife).

I didn't want the conversation to get political, but somebody started it by praising God that Obama was elected. I played along for a bit, and then said that I'd read that a lot of Obama voters were angry that he'd reversed himself on issues like troop drawdowns in Iraq. I then sat back and listened to the venom as they ticked off pretty much every issue that Obama crossed them on. One was especially peeved that Hillary will be secretary of state; I explained to him that Obama was keeping his friends close, but his enemies closer. He didn't get the Vito Corleone joke, but instead agreed with me.

After talking about God (the real one and the elected one), the talk turned to the other major tenet of liberal religion: global warming. There was talk of the melting polar ice caps and entire coastal cities being under water.

"Las Vegas had five inches of snow last week," I said flatly. "Malibu California had snow as well. This year Milwaukee has had the heaviest snowfall since 1947."

That comment got one of them really excited. "You see? You see? That's what I'm talking about!"

Many of my wife's family members are into things mystic. One has crystals hanging from her car mirror (a colorful complement to the "Free Tibet" bumper sticker on her car). She's a nice enough person, but does things I consider bizarre. For example, when I was scheduled for surgery three years ago, she gave me a small cloth bag with some smooth stones in it that were somehow supposed to help me. How, I don't know. She said there are some things in life that you simply don't question (a philosophy that seems to be shared by many liberals).

Someone got a book as a present that described personality traits based upon the time of year a person was born.

"Astrology?" I asked, but got a scornful look. "No," the gift-giver said,"this is based upon the alignment of the stars and the day a person is born."

It sounded a lot like astrology to me, so I persisted to antagonize. "My mother, Debbie's mother (my mother-in-law), and Suzie (my wife's sister) have birthdays in the same week, yet they are all as different as can be. My mother grew up during the Great Depression and has been ultra-frugal all her life; Suzie didn't suffer austerity while growing up, and sometimes spends a lot of money on things. Do you think those life experiences have more to do with their personalities than the alignment of stars?"

An Astrology True Believer spoke up. "It's more complicated than that. It has to do with the time of day a person was born, not just the alignment of the stars and the day of birth."

"OK," I said. "John (my BIL) is enormously successful with his business. I'm sure that, out of the tens of thousands of people in the ghetto in Milwaukee, there are at least some who were born at the same time and under the same alignment of stars. How do you explain the fact that they're lying around on welfare and he's working seven days a week, and that he's well-off and they're not?"

"There's exceptions," the True Believer said curtly.

"You mean there's exceptions for black people? What about poor white people? And what about Obama? He's half black and half white. Does the exception for black people explain why he said one thing during the campaign but is now doing exactly the opposite?"

The icy stares told me it was time to drop the subject, but they kept saying things that begged to be responded to.

One was all aflutter about a small park that was built last summer in her neighborhood. "It has walkways into the woods, and you can get up really close and see the birds. And the city paid for it!"

"Who is 'the city'?" I asked. "Is it a private corporation, or is your city funded by taxes?" She didn't know the answer, so I just suggested she look at her tax bill.

Not long after, the Astrology True Believer talked about her drive down from the northern part of the state in a heavy snowfall. "But I have four-wheel drive," she said. "I passed people who were just crawling along." (Yes, I know there are conservatives who drive like idiots as well, but it was the tone of superiority in her voice that got to me).

"Four wheel drive is good for getting started in snow, but brakes just like two-wheel drive vehicles," I said.

"No," she snapped. "My four wheel drive goes through anything."

At this point, my brother-in-law gave me the "okay, that's enough" look, so I just suggested to Cousin Patricia that she give the True Believer some crystals and a bag of rocks for the drive home.

This afternoon there's a family gathering at my niece's new house. Her husband is a lawyer, and she's a doctor, as well as a Wealth Redistribution True Believer. I'm not sure I can stand that much liberal nonsense in a 24-hour period. It must have something to do with the alignment of the stars.

Lee

• friend
Re: Christmas Eve with liberals (not political)
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 01:05:24 PM »
It must have something to do with the alignment of the stars.

Currently, Saturn is aligned with Uranus.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 01:10:36 PM »
Ummm... Dick? You want me, Broken Paw, and Rev Disk to give you some pointers on dealing with the fluffy-bunnies you have in your family? All three of us have some good recipes... ;)
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2008, 01:22:56 PM »
Ummm... dick? You want me, Broken Paw, and Rev Disk to give you some pointers on dealing with the fluffy-bunnies you have in your family? All three of us have some good recipes... ;)

I feel compelled to point out that "recipes" might not have been the best word to use.   :rolleyes: =D

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 01:25:42 PM »
I feel compelled to point out that "recipes" might not have been the best word to use.   :rolleyes: =D

-BP

And here I always thought humble pie was best served with diced fluffy bunny... :laugh:
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2008, 02:05:04 PM »
"There's exceptions," the True Believer said curtly.

The leftist approach to reality in the famous "nut shell."
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2008, 02:25:53 PM »
I'm happy that there are very few liberals in the family.

Sounds like you handled it well. I love to see sanctimonious know-it-alls put on the spot by a well reasoned, sound argument or observation.

I'm not sure I can stand that much liberal nonsense in a 24-hour period.

I tend to get extremely sarcastic when I'm aggravated. Hang in there.  =)
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2008, 02:35:07 PM »
Currently, Saturn is aligned with Uranus.

Currently, Saturn is about to go out of business.

If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

BrokenPaw

• friends
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2008, 02:35:42 PM »
I'm happy that there are very few liberals in the family.

I have the opposite problem; everyone in my family is conservative, but some of them have no idea why.  I can't stand blind faith in any belief system, even if it's one I happen to agree with.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2008, 02:46:32 PM »
I can't wait for this evening's Christmas gathering at my uncle's house.  I love my family, and I love getting together with them, but many of them are liberals, and even more are / have been union workers. 

The state of the American auto industry will inevitably be brought up, and I will voice my opinion about how the negotiations for the government bailout loan would have been a great opportunity to snap the UAW's neck.

Though I'll remain completely calm, sparks will fly, the earth will shake, and the conversation will be cut off after about two minutes.  =D

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2008, 02:59:36 PM »
>I feel compelled to point out that "recipes" might not have been the best word to use.<

I stand by my choice of words. Cooked up properly, you can get at least SOME use out of them (giving a Christmas dinner to some homeless folks, maybe?)...

Sorry, but I get irritated enough to cook folks when they insist on shoving their beliefs down my throat (regardless of what those beliefs are)...

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2008, 04:10:05 PM »
Declaration Day, it sounds like you're heading for a brawl, not an argument. Please let us all know how the UAW members justify their $73 an hour. My niece/Wealth Redistribution True Believer doctor doesn't make that much money as a pediatrician.

Strings, by any chance does your recipe contain mushrooms used by certain indian tribes in the southwest?

zahc

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2008, 04:11:39 PM »
"Four wheel drive is good for getting started in snow, but brakes just like two-wheel drive vehicles," I said.

Not strictly true. Locking a 4wd vehicle in 4wd forces the front driveshaft speed to be the same as the rear driveshaft speed, thus one axle cannot lock up without the other. This also makes engine braking effect both the front and back instead of just the drive axle. On trucks with light rear axles that constantly lock up before the front, using 4wd can improve braking tremendously.

Not to mention that in 4wd, the automatic transmission 'parking pawl' with engage both axles, instead of just the back. I had my Blazer slide backwards down an icy driveway when I wasn't in it, because ONE of the back tires was in an icy wheel track. The differential let that wheel spin backwards while my truck slid right into someones fence. If it was in 4wd, the front driveshaft would also have been in 'park'.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2008, 04:56:43 PM »
Astrology isn't just BS that liberals believe in.  Just ask the Reagans ...   Besides, I've met lots of conservatives who believe in silly superstitions.   Still, funny stuff.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

BrokenPaw

• friends
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2008, 05:17:00 PM »
Astrology isn't just BS that liberals believe in.  Just ask the Reagans ...   Besides, I've met lots of conservatives who believe in silly superstitions.   Still, funny stuff.

It's not unreasonable to think that astrology (in the sense that the time of year you were born could have an effect on your personality) might actually had some basis in truth, at least back in the times when people's diet was very much tied to the seasons.

If your mother was pregnant with you in the summer, she would have had access to different foods than if she were pregnant in the winter.  The foods that she ate determined the balance of nutrients in her blood, and therefore what the foetus hat to draw on.  I don't see anything unreasonable at all in the idea that differences in mothers' blood chemistry brought on my seasonal food changes could lead to a correlation in detectable personality traits in their children. 

Such things, of course, would have only been traceable within one particular culture and lifestyle at a time, and the likelihood of correlation now, with people's diets being much more homogeneous during the year, is far less.

But don't discount out of hand the results of the things the ancients believed, simply because they had the wrong reasons behind those results; people used to believe that malaria (Literally mal aria, "Bad Air") was caused by the gases near swamps, and by avoiding swamps, people could avoid malaria.  They were right about the effect, and about the proper course of action, though not about the cause (it was the mosquitoes in the swamp, not the bad air).

-BP

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2008, 06:04:39 PM »
I had Christmas dinner with a mixed bag of rednecks and Puerto Ricans.

My niece in law took a step up when she married Harry, a Puerto Rican. My nephew, her ex husband, is just a scumbag.

Her parents are just the epitome of Pennsylvania rednecks. His family is the epitome of the hot blooded Puerto Rican.

No politics talked, kids EVERYWHERE, and some of the most incredible food I've ever had.

And, I got to play Guitar Hero for the first time. As I suspected, I suck. :D

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2008, 06:57:40 PM »
Her parents are just the epitome of Pennsylvania rednecks.

Are those the Joe Biden type of PA rednecks, or the Obama bitter clinging type?

Also, how many rednecks and Puerto Ricans fit into a bag?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2008, 07:00:12 PM »
Pennsylvania rednecks

In other words, really great people ?  ;)

I wonder what the difference between Pennsylvania rednecks and Montana rednecks is ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2008, 10:07:20 PM »
No Dick, no "magic mushrooms" (although I have one somewhere that includes portobellas). Most of them include generous amounts of Italian Seasoning though! :P

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2008, 12:12:35 AM »

-BP

Na, it's the best word.  For many reasons.   

Her parents are just the epitome of Pennsylvania rednecks.

Please tell me they're from Perry County!
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2008, 12:15:34 AM »

I wonder what the difference between Pennsylvania rednecks and Montana rednecks is ???

Where they live and (probably) their accent.

I'm a native Georgian and the reddest neck I've ever encountered, the kind of redneck who gives rednecks a bad name, was a man from upstate New York.
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

Nematocyst

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2008, 05:17:39 AM »
An Astrology True Believer spoke up. "It's more complicated than that.
It has to do with the time of day a person was born, not just the alignment of the stars and the day of birth."

Liberals and new agers are sets of people that may intersect but are not necessarily a union.

Astrologers believe that the gravitational attraction of billions of distant stars at birth are more influential on one's life than the person who catches said person upon birth, even given the inverse square law. They are more ... um, intellectually challenged than any liberal (or conservative, libertarian, green ...).

Furthermore, astrology is based upon Ptolemy's model of the universe, which fell from scientific grace at the hands of Copernicus in 1530. That belief system is riddled with more logical fallacies than those who still argue that the Earth is flat or that evolution doesn't happen.

Some people take longer to grasp scientific reality than others.

Of course, the same could be said of those who deny the reality of global warming.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 09:54:48 AM by Nematocyst »
Levers, wheels & blades

elrod

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2008, 11:18:45 AM »

I'm a native Georgian and the reddest neck I've ever encountered, the kind of redneck who gives rednecks a bad name, was a man from upstate New York.

Those people give real rednecks a bad reputation. Sorta like the 99% of lawyers screwing it up for the rest of them.
Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2008, 12:39:27 PM »
Nematocyst: do you post on THR as Nematocyst 870? I remember your excellent posts on lever actions. Welcome aboard!

That being said, it's generally considered trolling to post that people who take a different  position than you on controversial issues like religion v. evolution or global warming are reality denying flat earth idiots.

As for the OP..... Why are you spending time with these idiots? "They're family" seems like a fairly bad reason to me: of course, I chose my current state largely on the basis that it's a couple thousand miles away from my family......
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2008, 05:02:27 PM »
this is why i am glad my job gets me out of thanksgiving with my dad's brothers (and most importantly, his sister in law)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds