Author Topic: Motorola Droid  (Read 7394 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
Motorola Droid
« on: March 16, 2010, 02:15:32 PM »
I'm thinking about replacing my old, abused Samsung SPH-M500 with a Motorola Droid.  Recently, the speaker has given out on my current phone making it very hard to hear the other party.  The outside screen is totally broken and the standby battery life is down to about 6 hours. Although I've had a nice 5 year run with it, I think it's cooked.

So, the Droid.  Why or why not?  Does anyone have one?

TIA.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Re: Motorola Droid
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 02:25:22 PM »
Yes.

If you like smartphones, DO IT.  25,000 plus apps.  65% of them are free or have a free version.

I got mine a month ago.  Yesterday, we went back and got SWMBO one.  She loves it.  And she doesn't even really *like* smartphones all that well.  

Battery life can be a little shorter, depending on how many and what types of apps you're running on it.  If you get one, don't be surprised if the sales-droid (hehehehe) doesn't download "Advanced Task Killer Free" before even handing the phone over to you.  The phone is just about completely customizeable.  Call audio quality is excellent.   Data reception seems to be very good, so far haven't had any problems with it.   It is also WiFi capable, so when you're at home you can run on your own wireless network instead of the 3G network if you have poor reception around your home.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 02:29:33 PM by AmbulanceDriver »
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 02:41:56 PM »
Nick,

I have one, and I love it.  BrokenMa (who is not a tech weenie) has one, and loves it, too.  Most of the engineers in my group here at work have gotten them, and love them.

I use its free SSH client, with private key auth, to admin my servers when I'm away from home, and (if a command line simply won't do) tunnel VNC over the SSH connection.  I use an inexpensive SQL app, tunneled across the SSH, if I need to do something to my database.  I monitor my server's status with an app that queries it every 30 minutes (configurable) and alerts me if it ever cannot reach my server.

The hard keyboard makes it infinitely easier to type quickly than the iTouch/iPhone's soft keyboard, and with the addition of Swype, the Droid's onscreen keyboard kicks the iPhone's all over the playground, too.

Disclosure:  I have a Droid and an iTouch, so I know whereof I speak.

If you get any smartphone at all, get a Droid.  It's a geek/admin's dream phone.

Regarding the battery issue:  With any smartphone, you have to change the way you think about it.  It's not a phone.  It's a small handheld computer that happens to be able to be used as a phone.  As such, whenever you're anywhere that you can charge it, charge it.  LiIon batteries degrade more or less linearly with time, not with cycles (like NiMHs do), so there's no harm in plugging the thing in and keeping it topped off.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 02:45:37 PM »
Don't have one, never used one.  But three friends of mine have reported that their broke pretty quickly.  May just be that my friends are chronic cell-phone abusers, or that they don't realize that a smartphone is kind of inherently more fragile that a really rugged cellphone.  Not sure.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 02:50:53 PM »
Don't have one, never used one.  But three friends of mine have reported that their broke pretty quickly.  May just be that my friends are chronic cell-phone abusers, or that they don't realize that a smartphone is kind of inherently more fragile that a really rugged cellphone.  Not sure.

Ah, so I probably shouldn't keep it in my keys pocket, like I do with my current phone.  =)

BrokenPaw - That sounds ideal for what I want in a phone.  I've also been poking about in the Droid SDK...  pretty interesting stuff!  I really like open standards on things like this.

BrokenPaw

• friends
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 03:10:06 PM »
Ah, so I probably shouldn't keep it in my keys pocket, like I do with my current phone.  =)

BrokenPaw - That sounds ideal for what I want in a phone.  I've also been poking about in the Droid SDK...  pretty interesting stuff!  I really like open standards on things like this.

I highly recommend the Skinomi screen protector; it's < $10, and it will prevent anything short of true abuse from scratching the screen.  And if the protector itself is ever damaged, they'll replace it free.

The Droid's build pretty solidly for a phone; I don't know what BW's friends were doing to theirs.  I keep mine either in a snap-in belt holster (to demonstrate my utter lack of fashion sense) or in my front pocket.  As long as there's nothing else in the pocket to scratch things up, it's fine.
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 03:33:42 PM »
Alrighty, next question... Should I hold out for the Nexus One to come to Verizon Wireless next week?  A friend of mine is trying to sway me that direction.

His rational for this:
-Nexus One has multi-touch
-Nexus One is slightly smaller
-Nexus One is better on battery
-Nexus One has more proc.
-Nexus One is prettier.

That said, I can get a Droid with contract for $49.  The Nexus One will cost more like $200, if they follow the T-Mobile business model.

BrokenPaw

• friends
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 03:57:52 PM »
Can't speak to the Nexus 1.  However, comma, the Droid hardware and firmware support multitouch out of the box; it's just the default apps that come with it that do not.  There are third-party apps, like the xScope web browser, that do use things like pinch-zoom.  xScope has another handy feature, called pin-zoom, that I described in another Droid thread.  I use pin-zoom more or less exclusively, now, and don't even remember about pinch gestures unless I think about it.

"Smaller == better" a matter of taste; I don't know that I would want something smaller than my Droid, for my big hands. 

Battery life hasn't been an issue for me with the Droid; since I plug it in every night, all it ever has to do is last a day.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 04:43:06 PM »
Keep an eye out for which version of the Droid OS they give you.  Some spanking new phones come with older versions of the OS that don;t support some of the cool apps or require pay apps/plans to do what newer Droid OSes do for free.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

BrokenPaw

• friends
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 04:46:11 PM »
Keep an eye out for which version of the Droid OS they give you.  Some spanking new phones come with older versions of the OS that don;t support some of the cool apps or require pay apps/plans to do what newer Droid OSes do for free.

This is true.  Although it varies by model, not by individual phone, as I understand it.  All Droids ship with Android 2.0, and all Nexus Ones ship with Android 2.1.  It's other handset models that are shipping with 1.5 or 1.6.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 04:48:17 PM »
I also have heard that the Moto Droid should (repeat, SHOULD) be getting the upgrade to Android 2.1 in the near future.  That will make multi-touch native to the OS
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 05:17:06 PM »

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/03/android-version-confusion/

As has been stated, be careful. Caveat emptor.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

erictank

• friends
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 09:21:41 PM »
I'm thinking about replacing my old, abused Samsung SPH-M500 with a Motorola Droid.  Recently, the speaker has given out on my current phone making it very hard to hear the other party.  The outside screen is totally broken and the standby battery life is down to about 6 hours. Although I've had a nice 5 year run with it, I think it's cooked.

So, the Droid.  Why or why not?  Does anyone have one?

TIA.

Having a grand time with mine (ordered just before Christmas, IIRC, and delivered after my return from a trip to NY over New Year's (shipping was REALLY slow around the holidays due to weather)).  Speaker is EXCELLENT for a phone, IMO, battery is user-replaceable and lasts for most of a day's hard use for me (I use it as a book reader and other PDA-type functions, for example, so it'll be on and actively burning power for HOURS each day) or for more time than I've ever left it alone on standby.  The docking mode is really nice - when you place the unit in the charging cradle, it automatically shifts to an alarm-clock/media-player mode, which for me has taken over primary alarm-clock duty on workdays - provides access to time, music, weather (connects to Weather.com, I believe, for that).  When I got it, they were advertising 10,000+ apps - if they're up to 25,000+ now, they really HAVE been busy!  There's lots of good stuff available, though, both paid (I purchased Aldiko book reader, Documents To Go Full Version for portable MS-Office functionality, and Act 1 video player - and came in under $20 total) and free (everything else on my phone is free - Mabilo Ringtones, Pandora, Weather.com, Facebook, a dictionary, sudoku, assorted games and console emulators...).  It DOES require dataplan access, which is $30/mo for unlimited access on Verizon for us non-corporate types (I think the MS Exchange access plan is $45, if you need to hook up to your business network) - I think the practical data limit VZW imposes is supposed to be something like either 5 or 20GB, which I haven't come close to yet.  I like both the onscreen soft keyboard (quite accurate, really) and the physical keyboard, and the browser is generally fast and gets me to what I want to look at.  Navigation - map & driving directions or turn-by-turn GPS-based nav - is FREE, with Google Maps.  I don't yet have a car mount for it, though.  Got a screen protector for it, though I can't remember the name of it - a pity, since I *REALLY* like it.  Gonna have to track that down.  Get a screen protector.  Using the stock Verizon leather velcro-close horizontal-carry belt case, which is okay, but already starting to wear out, so I'll need a real case here before too long.  Seido, I think it is, makes a line of products for this phone, including a car mount and home charger which can take a Droid inside one of their (Seido's) hard cases with no need to remove it, which I'm thinking about - though I'd have to replace my Moto/Verizon home charger if I do that.  Anyways, get a case too, preferably (IMO) one which allows you to place the screen facing in towards your body.  Charges at ~1 percent per minute, apparently - full charge in a little over an hour and a half, if you run it all the way down.  Comes with a 16GB MicroSD card installed, which IS user-replaceable but you have to remove the battery to do it.  You can plug the phone into a USB port for data transfer ("mount" the card on the phone's window-shade pulldown menu to do this, and unmount it before detaching from the PC), and it'll charge, too, though slower than via a dedicated charger.

To be honest, this is the device I've been waiting nearly a decade for, to converge my PDA and cell phone into a single unit.  Yeah, if you use it a lot, you'll need to charge it frequently - there was a review which commented on that need, pointing out that people had unrealistic expectations about power usage with smartphones, and said, "If you aren't using it, put it on the charger."  Sound advice, and I have chargers for home, car, and work.  Between that and the ease of carrying around a spare battery in my pocket, I haven't had any problems - and I've needed that spare battery precisely once, because I accidentally left it on in book-reader mode, which disables power-save features like auto-off.  All in all?  I loves me my Droid.

I know nothing about the upcoming Nexus 1.  Droid currently ships with Android 2.0, and is SUPPOSED to be getting an OTA update to 2.1 "soon". 

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 01:34:23 AM »
Can you charge a battery not in the phone?
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

BrokenPaw

• friends
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 09:37:24 AM »
Can you charge a battery not in the phone?

There's no specific charger for the battery when it's not in the phone, no.  But (unlike iThings) you can remove the battery.  It's a 3.7v LiPo, and I imagine that it would be possible to find (or hack) a charger for it.

ETA:

Ok, I was wrong.  There is a charger for the battery.  So there you go.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2010, 10:38:31 AM »
When Sprint comes out with a decent droid sporting 2.1 & a querty keyboard, I will be there like a chihuahua ona pack of hot dogs.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2010, 10:10:55 PM »
my boyfriend just got one from sprint with the querty keyboard. its the samsung moment. i don't know wiether it has 2.1 though.
he got it monday, and so far i haven't been really able to play with it as he is playing with it constantly. which is actually getting a bit annoying. every few minutes he's going "oh cool!!!".

definatly would like it more if i had one.  ;)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2010, 10:38:48 PM »
Read an article a few months ago saying that Steve Wozniak prefers it over the iPhone.  Woz is/was employee #0 at Apple if that tells you anything.  He build the first Apple computers and Jobs sold them.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2010, 02:01:34 AM »
There's no specific charger for the battery when it's not in the phone, no.  But (unlike iThings) you can remove the battery.  It's a 3.7v LiPo, and I imagine that it would be possible to find (or hack) a charger for it.

ETA:

Ok, I was wrong.  There is a charger for the battery.  So there you go.

Seido also has chargers which will allow you to charge a spare battery along with the phone itself.  With or without their case attached, I think.  May have to buy one...

My sister just commented on my Facebook Wall that she thinks her iPhone is better than my Droid.

She's WRONG!!!!1!!1one!   :laugh:

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2010, 03:50:34 PM »
You all talked me into it.

I've ordered the Droid.

Ended up costing me $49 for the hardware, plus $63/month for the plan.  =)

Now I'm this guy:

BrokenPaw

• friends
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2010, 03:53:55 PM »
Now I'm this guy:

Dude.  That's a girl. 

Something you want to share?   =D

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2010, 03:56:35 PM »
Dude.  That's a girl. 

Something you want to share?   =D

LOL.  Maybe it's a dude with long hair?   :angel:

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2010, 04:02:43 PM »
I really wanted a Droid as well, but VZ won't sell a smartphone without a data plan.  Oh well.

Chris

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2010, 05:42:58 PM »
I've started mucking about with the android SDK.  Mmm.. Java.

I've got a few plans of things I want to write.  What application would you like to see for the android that doesn't currently exist?

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2010, 06:11:54 PM »
You all talked me into it.

I've ordered the Droid.

Ended up costing me $49 for the hardware, plus $63/month for the plan.  =)

Now I'm this guy:

thats actually me. that is what i do when i'm waiting for a package.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds