Author Topic: Get home bags, or "Am I doing something wrong?"  (Read 9377 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
Get home bags, or "Am I doing something wrong?"
« on: February 29, 2012, 12:46:20 PM »
So, I've concluded that I need to be a little better prepared, so I'm starting with what I see as the biggest gap in my preparedness, a "get home" bag.  The concept, to me, seems sound.  get a small bag, pack it with what you would need to get back home from work.  Sounds simple enough. So I start doing research.  Watch Youtube videos on the subject.  And all I can conclude is that I'm an idiot (no comment about dumb lawyers necessary), or these people have taken preparedness to a new extreme.

My plan....it's 30 miles from my driveway to the courthouse door. Worst case scenario is that I have to walk it.  I figure somewhere between 8-12 hours, depending on conditions.  What do I need?  Change of clothes with boots before I start.  In the pack...Water.  Food.  Rain gear.  Poncho and space blanket for emergency shelter.  Firestarters.  Good knife or two, maybe a good excuse to buy a tomahawk.  First aid gear.  Ammo for the carry weapon, probably in spare mags.  Spare socks.  Flashlight and batteries.  Radio and batteries.  Phone charger.  Paracord and duct tape.  Map and compass in case I need to go cross country.

What I see are guys who have packed more gear for the trip home than I pack for a three day backpacking trip.  One guy advises that you pack 2 multitools, a folding knife, a fixed blade knife, a folding saw, and a lightweight hatchet or hawk.  Another guy has a second CCW piece, and a .22 handgun for small game hunting.  Hunting?  I'm walking home to my family and a house full of supplies for a day or two at most!  Do I really need four full quart canteens, two collapsable gallon canteens, a Katydyn filter system and purification tabs?

While I find all of this entertaining, like a lot of the prepper TV shows, it's got me wondering about my plan.  So, I'm coming to you, of voice of common sense that is APS!  Am I underpreparing myself for if/when the SHTF?
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Get home bags, or "Am I doing something wrong?"
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 12:58:38 PM »
For your scenario, I think you have pretty much what you need (don't know your weather situation). If it's a major disaster though, don't plan on making 30 miles in a half a day - an overnight could be a possibility. Water purification is a sound addition - many natural disasters will pollute the potable water supplies. Make sure you have something that takes care of particulates and viruses. In my vehicle bag, I have one of the frontier straws plus chlorine dioxide tablets.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 02:17:08 PM »
My plan....it's 30 miles from my driveway to the courthouse door. Worst case scenario is that I have to walk it.  I figure somewhere between 8-12 hours, depending on conditions.

I've put together a similar package that stays in my trunk for roughly the same distance- well a little further, because I'd need to find my kids.
I initially figured about the same amount of time as I was walking daily hikes of 5 miles in around 1.5-2 hrs time depending on conditions.
I ran my gear past some survivalist/preparedness types, and they almost universally suggested quadruple my time/water allotment and at least double my magazines/ammo that I'd be carrying. The reasoning was that the distance could be a lot further as bridges could be out, and I might have to walk long distances to get around the worst areas of civil unrest.
My firearms load is an SKS (good throwaway rifle) with 100 rds on strippers in a bandolier, along with a 45 with 2 spare mags.
I upped my preps to get me through 2 days in any weather, but didn't increase the amount of ammo I'd be carrying.

Take that for what its worth.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 02:20:32 PM by brimic »
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 03:14:04 PM »
Internet forum people are always willing to add more and more stuff to another's pack. My pack is the same one I carry everyday and I could comfortably carry it for 2 days with an overnight if it's not winter in the Midwest.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 03:16:29 PM »
No throwing stars?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 07:40:55 PM »
Internet forum people are always willing to add more and more stuff to another's pack.
Very true. :laugh:
OTOH, its much easier to lighten the load by leaving stuff behind that isn't needed for the situation at hand then it is to conjure up an item that you need but don't have.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 07:51:37 PM »
And all I can conclude is that I'm an idiot (no comment about dumb lawyers necessary), or these people have taken preparedness to a new extreme.

I would suspect the truth lies somewhere in the middle =D

30 miles work to home is a significant trip by foot. Ever tried it?

I'm in pretty good shape being only 2 miles from work, sort of. I report to a location 2 miles from the house then may end up 60 plus miles from home during the course of an evening. A firearm while on the clock and in a company vehicle is not an option.
I pay very close attention to the weather and I am usually able to stay close to home base during severe weather.

Now that I think about it I'm going to have to reevaluate a get my butt home option for packing in the company vehicle.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 08:43:39 PM »
My plan....it's 30 miles from my driveway to the courthouse door. Worst case scenario is that I have to walk it.  I figure somewhere between 8-12 hours, depending on conditions.  What do I need?  Change of clothes with boots before I start.  In the pack...Water.  Food.  Rain gear.  Poncho and space blanket for emergency shelter.  Firestarters.  Good knife or two, maybe a good excuse to buy a tomahawk.  First aid gear.  Ammo for the carry weapon, probably in spare mags.  Spare socks.  Flashlight and batteries.  Radio and batteries.  Phone charger.  Paracord and duct tape.  Map and compass in case I need to go cross country.
(snip)

While I find all of this entertaining, like a lot of the prepper TV shows, it's got me wondering about my plan.  So, I'm coming to you, of voice of common sense that is APS!  Am I underpreparing myself for if/when the SHTF?

Ahh, if you need to walk it, it's not going to be a 12 hour hike.  Figure a day and a half, worst case. Food is essentially psychological, so you don't feel like dirt and are mentally good to go. You really only need water and electrolyte tabs. The only thing I'd say you really might want to include is some spare cash. Slip in five 1's, a 5, a 10 and however many 20's you feel like carrying. Cash is always handy. I recommend not touching it, even if you're low on walking around cash and basically forgetting it's there.  Elsewise, you'll eventually use it and forget to re-add it, at some point. Obviously, in an emergency, use it.

I tried those mylar space blankets and didn't care for them. This is unfortunately 17x the cost, but I still really prefer it. The one time I needed it, I was very very glad I had it.

http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/product.php?product=144&catname=Shelter&prodname=SOL%20Emergency%20Bivvy

You might want to look into a small hiking wood gassification stoves. Not saying you should or should not include one, but they're fairly light and you can back the majority of your supplies into one. Fairly easy to make your own. Just an idea, and might make a fun weekend project.

http://www.jureystudio.com/pennystove/pennywood.html
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 08:50:43 PM »
I see no bacon in your preparations......you will not survive.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 09:27:31 PM »
What kind of wheelbarrow will you be using to carry all of this?

Mine is a Yard King.  It's a quality barrow.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 09:35:10 PM »
Chris,

I didn't see toilet paper in your list, although you could certainly include it under first aid.  =)

Also, I still say throwing stars, and the obligatory "condoms for water storage." Do keep the two separate.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 09:36:40 PM »
The most important things to remember when assembling the contents of your bag are that this pack is not for long-term sustainability, and that when you are walking long distances, ounces are pounds, and pounds are tons.  Also, its contents should be altered as the seasons change.  Here are my suggestions:

-Pack some good waterproof hiking boots, but don't stuff them in your bag.  Throw them in the trunk and put them on before you leave your vehicle. Skip the spare socks if you can; they are unnecessary bulk and weight.  Sprinkle a healthy dose of foot powder into the boots ahead of time.  That will help keep your feet dry, and more importantly, it will cut down on the friction in your boots as you walk (yes, 30 miles is a LONG way to walk and preventing blisters is important).

-ONE good, sharp, quality fixed-blade knife with a full tang and a 6" blade will fulfill all of your needs.  No need for a tomahawk if you're only talking about a 2-3 day journey.  Remember, when walking long distances, ounces are pounds.  You can split small sections of wood by cutting into them with the base of the knife blade, and pounding the top end of the knife with another chunk of wood or just about anything heavy.

-Don't forget toilet paper.  Pull the cardboard roll out from the middle and crush it down to save space.

-Quickest, easiest, and lightest fire tools are a Bic lighter and a few Trioxane tablets. Dryer lint is free, but doesn't burn as long as trioxane.  Still might be worth packing some in a small ziploc bag.

-First aid for yourself should include some painkillers (opiate in case of severe pain), band-aids, an anti-diarrheal medication (because diarrhea = dehydration), a cough suppressant (to minimize noise), some antibiotics, suture kit, a triangle bandage and a tourniquet (though you're in deep doo-doo if you need that), and some antibiotic ointment.  If you're without the luxury of an ER and you need more than that, it's been nice knowing you.

-Get a GI poncho for walking in the rain and to build a lean-to at night.  25 feet of 550 cord is plenty to make a lean-to.  IF it is safe to build a fire while you sleep, don't wrap yourself with your mylar space blanket; line the inner surface of your lean-to with it and build your fire a few feet from the opening of your shelter.  You will be toasty warm!  I have tested this on a ten-degree night in the middle of nowhere in northern Michigan.

-Have a few thin layers of clothes available.  Practice hiking in a local state park and learn how to manage perspiration and body temperature.  This is the most important survival skill to learn.  If it's cold, but above 20 degrees or so, you'll want to be able to strip down to a thin winter hat, gloves, pair of jeans and a t-shirt w/ unzipped fleece jacket while you walk.  Overheating and sweating in cold weather can be fatal once you stop to rest or sleep. Hypothermia begins when your body's core temperature drops to 95 degrees, just 3.6 degrees below normal body temperature.

-Consider the water resources available along the walk from the courthouse to your home, and pack accordingly.  It's a good idea to have enough water on hand to survive the journey, but if there are rivers / lakes / ponds along the way, some water purification tablets will suffice, and will take up far less space (and precious ounces of weight) than a water filter.  Also take into consideration the possibility of contact with other people, and the threat they may present, when approaching a water source.  Dehydration is serious in a survival situation.  If you feel thirsty, you are already dehydrated.

-Buy some calorie and carb-dense survival tabs.  They will keep you moving and take up minimal space / weight.  Consider the probability that you will find other edibles along the way, either in abandoned stores / homes / cars, or in the woods.  Do your homework on wild edibles in your AO. http://www.survivaltabs.com/

-A dozen disposable chemical hand warmers should easily get you through 2-3 days.  Throw them in your gloves and boots as you sleep, as needed.  If you are walking in sub-freezing temperatures, keep one on your bottle / canteen.  It will take FAR more time and fuel to melt snow or ice than to keep your water above freezing with a chemical hand warmer.

-Buy a Kel-Tec Sub2000 that takes 33-rd 9mm Glock mags.  It folds in half, is lightweight, relatively inexpensive ($350), will easily fit in a backpack, and is quickly deployable.  Pack as many mags as you feel comfortable with.  For me, it's three.

-Camouflage, camouflage, camouflage!  For whatever environment you anticipate, have the proper camouflage.  If you are moving through the woods, make it woodland camo.  If it's in the snow, winter camo!  Do not neglect your hands and face; our brains are wired to quickly spot human skin tones and faces.  Don't use makeup for face camo in the winter; use a bandanna or other type of veil.  You want to be able to determine the condition of your skin in sub-freezing conditions, assuming you have someone else traveling with you or a mirror available.   If you're traveling through a city and it's not feasible to hide, dress "down" and in drab colors, to avoid unnecessary attention or the notion that you have valuable items worth stealing.

-Maintaining morale is paramount.  If your vice is a cigarette, bring some.  If it's your favorite candy bar, bring a few.  If it's a favorite magazine, bring one to read in your down time.  A fire (again, if it's safe to build one) is an excellent morale booster.  Morale is an incredibly important survival tool.

This message has been brought to you by an ULTRA right-wing, racist, terrorist member of the Michigan Militia, who hates everybody, everything, does nothing but wear white sheets, drink beer while bitching about the day-mo-crats, and kick puppies to death for fun.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 11:07:26 PM by Declaration Day »

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 10:07:04 PM »
I'll admit I don't have a get home bag. I do keep some crap in the truck that I could easily put in my laptop back pack and head home. Water, MRE, rain gear, boots in the winter, ASP, rope, and some other tools.

One of my coworkers is into this stuff, so he is always dumping info on me.
Are situations are fairly different. He was to travel 40 miles through a sense populace to get home. I have to travel 20 all back roads and away from people.

Being in NJ we can't just keep a gun in the car for no reason. Being prepared is not a reason.
I have told him he can come to my house in the shtf situation, an extra able body is handy.

We have both considered keeping guns at work (business is owned by gun people) Good if the poop hits the fan while still there, no good if we already left for the day.

I guess your plan really depends on how you have to travel. If its highly populaces you might need to travel at night not by day. I guess you could add some night vision if its in you budget.

I personally cross about 20 small streams on the way home so I would not have to carry 10 gallons of water. It gets hot here in the summer but its not a desert either.

Something to think about though.

I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 10:08:45 PM »
Estimate time to walk and double it and add one night.  Bring multiple ways of starting a fire.  Don't light a match, light a candle.  One large-ish knife will substitute for a folder and a swinging edge.  A poncho works as rain gear while walking or a shelter while laying up or a sleeping bag while sleep under the clouds.  A space blanket is light, takes up little space and pays big dividends in the cold.  Water weighs a lot.  A Frontier cartridge is light and filters crud, smell, and most biologics.  Food may not be necessary on a one day hike but energy is.  Food and energy can be combined in rations like MRE: just strip 'em down and jettison what is unnecessary. 

Your plan sounds a lot like mine only my distance is 50 miles which was doable . . . . . right up until I blew out my knee.  So now my preparation is trunk domiciled.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 10:32:54 PM »
The biggest challenge is walking thirty miles is generally walking thirty miles, not making fire or shooting stuff (ok, so a gun, but three? that's just deadweight).  Some of that survival stuff is good, but I usually keep my packed gym bag in my car, in addition to some other basic supplies.  

The most important stuff is not the "what if" stuff, but the stuff that will support the walk or run--if sans kids, I'd run about half of a thirty mile distance home.  Mine's a bit less, even following the most ideal route, through friendly territory, aka a string of Jewish institutions and nearby neighborhoods.  I have some relatives in there, plus kiddos' school and daycare. Well, and to stay truly un-noteworthy, I'd have to head a couple miles north-ish to avoid being the only white person around.  No bad neighborhoods on the straight route, but several pretty solidly black and Indian ones.  But even that long way around would come out to 23-27 miles.    

Walking/hiking/running clothes, shoes, socks, blister stuff, hat or sunscreen or both, etc.  Vaseline.  Safety pins.  Larabars and water.  Fleece pullover.  I'd be walking almost exclusively through affluent suburbs--my cammo is running gear.  A bit heavy with a small pack and such, but not enough to draw attention. 

Personal preference, but I prefer very fast to very well-supplied.  But then I'm notorious for pushing how cold is appropriate for running in shorts.  Figure if I get cold, I'll run faster.  Usually works.  But moving faster and less obtrusively will solve an awful lot of the problems that can present themselves in the course of a long walk home, no matter how much crap you're dragging along with you. 

Spare power for the cell phone is at least as important as a map and compass.  Less obtrusive, easier to use while moving.  No idea how GPS/accelerometer functions tie in with voice service/data service/random wifi, etc.  Obviously lack of power or service turns it useless, but if it's possible to use it, I'd rather use that than work off a map.  And you'd be texting with people to work out other emergency-related plans.

It's way too easy to start thinking in terms of survivalism stuff instead of actually solving the problem: traverse thirty miles on foot, as quickly and safely as possible.  Heck no, you don't want to sleep out.  If there's a major disaster or civil disturbance, the first overnight is when looters and other criminals appear.  If night falls and you're not home, WALK FASTER.  Fine, a space blanket in case of some major emergency, and a fleece pullover.

Food?  This is less than a day, and it's all in motion. Larabars, Clif Bars, and energy gels.  Water.  If you have anything cloth, you do not need a separate particulate filter.  Iodine or chorine tabs will kill anything you're even remotely likely to encounter, but there's no reason why you should need more water than you can easily carry anyway. 

Jmho, I have absolutely no expertise on this matter whatsoever.   

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 10:44:27 PM »
So, I've concluded that I need to be a little better prepared, so I'm starting with what I see as the biggest gap in my preparedness, a "get home" bag.  The concept, to me, seems sound.  get a small bag, pack it with what you would need to get back home from work. 

Unless I'm out on site somewhere, I can make it home in half an hour, at worst.

My plan....it's 30 miles from my driveway to the courthouse door. Worst case scenario is that I have to walk it.  I figure somewhere between 8-12 hours, depending on conditions.

You're going to walk 30 miles in one go? 

What do I need?  Change of clothes with boots before I start.  In the pack...Water.  Food.  Rain gear.  Poncho and space blanket for emergency shelter.  Firestarters.  Good knife or two, maybe a good excuse to buy a tomahawk.  First aid gear.  Ammo for the carry weapon, probably in spare mags.  Spare socks.  Flashlight and batteries.  Radio and batteries.  Phone charger.  Paracord and duct tape.  Map and compass in case I need to go cross country.

What I see are guys who have packed more gear for the trip home than I pack for a three day backpacking trip.  One guy advises that you pack 2 multitools, a folding knife, a fixed blade knife, a folding saw, and a lightweight hatchet or hawk.  Another guy has a second CCW piece, and a .22 handgun for small game hunting.  Hunting?  I'm walking home to my family and a house full of supplies for a day or two at most!  Do I really need four full quart canteens, two collapsable gallon canteens, a Katydyn filter system and purification tabs?

While I find all of this entertaining, like a lot of the prepper TV shows, it's got me wondering about my plan.  So, I'm coming to you, of voice of common sense that is APS!  Am I underpreparing myself for if/when the SHTF?

Prepare for the weather and contemplate where you might hole up for the night.  Good shoes/boots.  For most of the rest, have it on your person anyway.  Pocket knife, multitool.  Maybe a day pack with some munchies/energy food, water bottle, a sane (lightweight) amount of extra ammo.  No need, short of LA riots type social disorder, to go hog wild.

Wear the pack for a while first, to make sure you can use it comfortably.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 11:14:55 PM »
Also you can drink almost the worst water in the world for a short time. Most the nasties in water will take 1-2 days to kick in. If your home by then at least you will have lived to get there.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 11:54:34 PM by never_retreat »
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 11:44:58 PM »
Also you can drink almost the worst water in the world for a short time. Most the nasties in water will take 1-2 days to kick in. If you home by then at least you will have lived to get there.

That's true, but this plus this only weigh 3oz, and you won't have to spend three weeks at the toilet afterwards. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2012, 02:34:16 AM »
1. Get home bags? Are these a new form of survival thing to add to the bug-out-bag, bug-out-vehicle, trunk gun, etc.?

2. For a lot of people survivalism/preparedness is not just a smart thing, but a hobby. These people will often forget that for others it is not.

3. Train now. Are you sure you can actually walk the 30 miles?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2012, 06:10:16 AM »
1. Get home bags? Are these a new form of survival thing to add to the bug-out-bag, bug-out-vehicle, trunk gun, etc.?

Variation on a theme with a myriad of different names. The federal government has been big into them since 9-11. They cover them at ready.gov and advertise them to the federal workforce as "shelter in place" kits. The federal theme is that you are going to shelter in place at your office due to a biological or similar attack, terrorist threat or similar, or be cut off from your home due to a manmade or natural disaster.

They're big on us not trying to make it home on our own, though I have noticed (surprisingly to me) that several of the "recommended procedures" documents specifically state that you can't force a worker to stay in the building regardless of the danger outside. The recommended kits are built around "comfort", with general recommendations being a change of clothes, sturdy, comfortable shoes, necessary medications, flashlight, pillow and blanket, comfort food and comfort items. Not even a recommendation of bottled water. If I built my bag the way they recommended, I wouldn't want to leave the office because I would be pretty ill-prepared.

In my agency at least, we do keep  a"disaster pack" in each office, based on number of personnel, that contains more practical items like ration bars and water packets, extra flashlights, emergency radios, tools, water purification stuff, etc. But still designed for "shelter in place" (unless somebody wanted to be a jackass and take that pack and run and leave their coworkers hanging, which I could see several of my coworkers doing).

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2012, 08:29:46 AM »
The biggest challenge is walking thirty miles is generally walking thirty miles, not making fire or shooting stuff (ok, so a gun, but three? that's just deadweight).  Some of that survival stuff is good, but I usually keep my packed gym bag in my car, in addition to some other basic supplies. 

The most important stuff is not the "what if" stuff, but the stuff that will support the walk or run--if sans kids, I'd run about half of a thirty mile distance home.  Mine's a bit less, even following the most ideal route, through friendly territory, aka a string of Jewish institutions and nearby neighborhoods.  I have some relatives in there, plus kiddos' school and daycare. Well, and to stay truly un-noteworthy, I'd have to head a couple miles north-ish to avoid being the only white person around.  No bad neighborhoods on the straight route, but several pretty solidly black and Indian ones.  But even that long way around would come out to 23-27 miles.   

Walking/hiking/running clothes, shoes, socks, blister stuff, hat or sunscreen or both, etc.  Vaseline.  Safety pins.  Larabars and water.  Fleece pullover.  I'd be walking almost exclusively through affluent suburbs--my cammo is running gear.  A bit heavy with a small pack and such, but not enough to draw attention. 

Personal preference, but I prefer very fast to very well-supplied.  But then I'm notorious for pushing how cold is appropriate for running in shorts.  Figure if I get cold, I'll run faster.  Usually works.  But moving faster and less obtrusively will solve an awful lot of the problems that can present themselves in the course of a long walk home, no matter how much crap you're dragging along with you. 

Spare power for the cell phone is at least as important as a map and compass.  Less obtrusive, easier to use while moving.  No idea how GPS/accelerometer functions tie in with voice service/data service/random wifi, etc.  Obviously lack of power or service turns it useless, but if it's possible to use it, I'd rather use that than work off a map.  And you'd be texting with people to work out other emergency-related plans.

It's way too easy to start thinking in terms of survivalism stuff instead of actually solving the problem: traverse thirty miles on foot, as quickly and safely as possible.  Heck no, you don't want to sleep out.  If there's a major disaster or civil disturbance, the first overnight is when looters and other criminals appear.  If night falls and you're not home, WALK FASTER.  Fine, a space blanket in case of some major emergency, and a fleece pullover.

Food?  This is less than a day, and it's all in motion. Larabars, Clif Bars, and energy gels.  Water.  If you have anything cloth, you do not need a separate particulate filter.  Iodine or chorine tabs will kill anything you're even remotely likely to encounter, but there's no reason why you should need more water than you can easily carry anyway. 

Jmho, I have absolutely no expertise on this matter whatsoever.   

Likes this.

(But still, seriously Bridge, no throwing stars?! All of you people will die out there without your throwing stars, and I will take your stuff.)

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2012, 09:02:49 AM »
Likes this.

(But still, seriously Bridge, no throwing stars?! All of you people will die out there without your throwing stars, and I will take your stuff.)

I'm not worried you will still be trying to stock up on pepperoni.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2012, 09:25:47 AM »
30 miles?  Double your estimate.  The average person in ideal conditions should be able to cover 4 miles an hour.  We're assuming that conditions are no longer ideal.

I like Sara's reply, too.   Even if, lets say it takes you 24 hours straight walking.  I'm assuming you're in decent enough shape to be able to pull off staying up for 24-36 hours and hoofing it.  High speed, low drag.  
My list would be as follows:

Broke-in waterproof hiking boots
Spare socks x2.
Foot care (moleskin, blister care)
First aid kit, should include an ace bandage to support a strain or sprain, and Immodium in case you're forced to drink from a questionable water source.
Water and hydration drinks (gatorade)
Water tablets, or even better a combination filter/canteen http://www.filtersfast.com/P-Katadyn-MyBottle-Green-Deer-8017757.asp
Flashlight, headlamp, batteries
poncho, rain pants.  A good poncho can double as a small shelter.
Extra layer clothing (climate appropriate)
fast food, ie energy bars, energy gels. Food isn't the primary need, but a couple energy bars won't be so much weight that it slows you down, and can be a good short term energy and psychological boost.
Map with prescouted routes highlighted and compass.  Are there alternate routes to cut mileage, such as railroad tracks or powerline right of ways?  Getting off the streets might be necessary anyways.backpack that you can wear for extended hike.
Good multitool.
2-4 extra and filled magazines or reloads for your carry weapon.
Roll of quarters for payphones, vending machines (if there's still power) and a small wad of cash

Many "preppers" have merely turned the end of the world as we know it into a hobby.  They will skip thinking practically, and their immediate default response is "more gear, head for the woods, wolverines!"
 :facepalm:
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 09:38:28 AM by JamisJockey »
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2012, 10:19:43 AM »
I also like Sara's suck it up and drive on response, but I has a question. What is keeping Chris from driving, why are walking conditions so hazardous, and might that explain the need for extra guns and and an ax and so forth?

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2012, 10:41:11 AM »
Fistful:  Because someone cut his tires with a throwing star.

As to the walking thing. You have to walk a mile in about 12 minutes in order burn calories and most people have to work up to that to do it consistently. Meaning it isn't easy if you aren't doing it on a regular basis. And if you're planning to do 30 miles in 12 hours, you're going to have to walk a mile every 24 minutes. You might make that the first five or ten miles but you're going to start slowing down after that. Especially if the terrain is even slightly uneven. Allow yourself a lot more time. You're going to be out overnight unless you've developed some means of teleportation you haven't shared with the rest of us.

I also think foot care is critical. Ask any woman how demoralizing and difficult it is to walk any distance when your shoes are killing your feet. I'd rather face bad guys than sore feet. Good shoes that are already broken in, spare socks, blister care. I'd give up food if it meant space/weight for foot care.

A small LED light. As I've gotten older my night vision sucks and it sounds like you have some rural ground to cover. Obviously don't use it in a situation where it could pinpoint your location if stealth is an issue, but being able to make sure you aren't building your lean-to in a bed of poison ivy is useful.

The pack Ben made up for me is almost as small as my purse, carries in a way that doesn't disrupt my center of balance, can be adjusted to either side of my body comfortably, and is light enough I could carry it for days if I needed to. And it's fully stocked with pretty much anything I might need for a few days of being stranded/hoofing it to safety.   
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe