Author Topic: Get home bags, or "Am I doing something wrong?"  (Read 9376 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Get home bags, or "Am I doing something wrong?"
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2012, 11:34:36 AM »
I also like Sara's suck it up and drive on response, but I has a question. What is keeping Chris from driving, why are walking conditions so hazardous, and might that explain the need for extra guns and and an ax and so forth?

The general thinking in the prepper community is storms, earthquake, or something more sinister like an EMP event rendering most vehicles immobile.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2012, 12:37:32 PM »
Chris,

Make sure you go down to the Bass Pro, and pick up a paracord bracelet with a metal buckle. It should only cost about $40.00.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2012, 12:52:50 PM »
About the car thing...my whole thought about the "get home" bag in the first place was that if I can drive, then I will drive.  And, if I can drive, my biggest worries are not food and water, but rather fuel and ammo.  I know at least a dozen ways to get home that don't involve anything one would consider to be a major road.  So, if it was civil disobediance, I can find a way around it.  Biggest threat then is if some of you APS types live in the area, have mobiized the neighborhood infantry, and barricaded the roads i need to protect your stash of throwing stars.

I brought up the walk home thing because that was the only thing I could think of as a "worst case scenario" that might require some kind of bag full of goodies needed to get me home.  If I can motor, then I'll do so.  As for walking 30 miles straight, I have no doubt that I can do it.  I may not be real happy the day after, but I know I can drive on and complete the trip home.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2012, 12:54:25 PM »

Make sure you go down to the Bass Pro, and pick up a paracord bracelet with a metal buckle. It should only cost about $40.00.

Thanks.  Until I save up I think that I'll stick with the 100 feet of paracord already in my car that I bought for around $10.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2012, 01:24:56 PM »
I've actually thought about making one of those, since cord can be handy to have around. The trouble is, people will see it, and think that I paid for one of the PT Barnum versions at the store.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2012, 01:29:29 PM »
I've actually thought about making one of those, since cord can be handy to have around. The trouble is, people will see it, and think that I paid for one of the PT Barnum versions at the store.

Make one out of pink paracord, then people will think you are supporting breast cancer.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2012, 01:31:51 PM »
About the car thing...my whole thought about the "get home" bag in the first place was that if I can drive, then I will drive.  And, if I can drive, my biggest worries are not food and water, but rather fuel and ammo.

Pretty much the same here.
I'm surrounded by ghetto on 3 sides and a massive inland freshwater sea on the other.
The problem with my work locale is that the roads are barely driveable and the freeway is barely adequate on an ideal day.

Barack Obama

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2012, 07:25:15 PM »
Make one out of pink paracord, then people will think you are supporting breast cancer.

What kind of sick bastard supports cancer?  :mad:

:angel:

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2012, 07:42:48 PM »
It's probably worth mentioning that my thoughts on this matter are informed by experiences in driving crappy cars, living situations that have demanded substantial self-sufficiency, and enjoying walking and running. 

In the past couple of years I've walked home three times.  Once was well-prepared.  Had my gear in the car, had stroller in the car, was picking up kids at preschool/daycare, and the serpentine belt snapped.  Walked home, about seven miles.  Supplies came in handy, especially spare socks, water, and the stroller I keep in my car.  Kids mostly enjoyed it--although there were a few moments of "suck it up and walk kid," they also took turns riding on my shoulders when they got tired.  Once could have been well-prepared, but I was too pissed off.  New Year's Eve 2011, car battery drained while I sat in the car playing video games and avoiding going home.  Instead of swapping out my coat for the fleece I had in the car, I ended up carrying the coat for the better part of six miles, along with a purse.  That was stupid, because it seriously undermined my whole "I'm just out for a run" combination of look and attitude, but I had everything I needed.  Third time was...complicated.  To skip a long, boring story, I walked about twelve miles home, between evening and early morning, across most of town, in heels.  While five or six months pregnant.  That sucked.  A lot.  Enough to convince me to keep some good shoes and socks in the car pretty much all the time.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2012, 08:21:43 PM »
Might be easier to just move closer to work ha ha. The training we received at work, told us to call our in-house security number if we thought there was a nuclear attack- seriously. Although, it was a multiple choice quiz- which I got wrong. I answered that I was going home.  Simon Kenton, Daniel Boone, and a million Indians got around pretty well, with very little- good shoes, a hat, warm, water resistant coat, and an accurate weapon can get a person through most things. I don't think food or water would be that hard to find around here.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2012, 08:31:07 PM »
Depending on which hospital I am at, I am anywhere from 12 to 90 miles from home.  And no firearms allowed on hospital property, including parking.  Plus, as an administrator, I will be expected to pitch in and assist at whatever facility I am at.  I do have a BOB in the cars nonetheless, though.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2012, 08:59:06 PM »
Bring an airline bottle of your favorite booze. Halfway home in the rain it will do wonders for your morale. Toss in one MRE. No better way to have a snack, some food, some TP, some matches, and some drink mix. All in one, sealed pack, no muss no fuss no thinking.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2012, 09:07:19 PM »
Bring an airline bottle of your favorite booze. Halfway home in the rain it will do wonders for your morale.

Great Idea.
Pls a good reason to go walking in the rain! :lol:

Barack Obama

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2012, 08:38:27 AM »
Bring an airline bottle of your favorite booze. Halfway home in the rain it will do wonders for your morale. Toss in one MRE. No better way to have a snack, some food, some TP, some matches, and some drink mix. All in one, sealed pack, no muss no fuss no thinking.

Some employers may not like alcohol in the vehicle. I'd recommend scraping off the label and replacing it with "Isopropyl alcohol - DO NOT DRINK, topical use only"

=D
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2012, 09:52:45 AM »
Some employers may not like alcohol in the vehicle. I'd recommend scraping off the label and replacing it with "Isopropyl alcohol - DO NOT DRINK, topical use only"

=D

More than my fair share encouraged it.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2012, 10:35:36 AM »
+A lot on the already said spare cash and Adventure Medical SOL bivvy, there's one in my jacket pocket. Take a good coat, stuff it with essentials, should be all you need. Adventure medical also carries a space blanket that is a lot tougher than the mylar ones, I highly recommend it. Any pack should look non-tactical to avoid the man and non-rich to avoid everyone else. I like my netbook bag man-purse for carrying a gun and spares, it doesn't scream gun but it does advertise a computer. I always have my big camel-bak in my car too.

Not walking seems ideal. In some of the more recent disasters people I know were reduced, or nearly reduced, to foot travel by lack of gasoline and stuck in traffic. The risk/reward on keeping jerry cans in your car is not there, but maintaining at least 1/2 tank at all times is not a terrible idea and better for your fuel pump anyway. I am of course guilty, guilty, guilty of breaking this. What else makes it likely that you have to walk? Can you stash a bike at work? Hey, it's survival, bolt-cutter + bike rack=winning. If work is a long way from home can you stash a spare vehicle at a friend's or have a little mutual aid agreement where a friend's vehicle is available to you and vice versa?

Why do you have to get home? If it is just to get to better stuff try keeping some of the good stuff with you. If it is to get to people you have to do what you have to do, at that point communications and a pre-arranged meeting point may help. Some type of 2-way radio as well as cell phone? Cell phone service is just not going to happen in anything big. Pre-arranged meeting point would be nicer if it had a landline number you already knew.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2012, 11:27:17 AM »
The other day I walked in the cold to my sister's house which is just a few miles away.  Sidewalks most of the way, sun was out, and no one wearing a colander on their face shooting at me.  I was carrying nothing more survival oriented than what I ordinarily would have on me (lighter, gun, knife, book, etc).

You will probably make your 30 miles eventually, but you won't do it nearly as quickly as you think you will.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2012, 12:27:46 PM »
A couple of things...first of all, I plan to get home because it is where all the goodies are, the kind society frowns upon you carrying around town in this day and age.  I've got plans to "bug in" if at all possible, so getting there is the primary objective.

Second, last summer the car broke down about 4-5 miles from home.  I walked home to get the other vehicle.  Managed the trek in sandals (the good strap-on kind) in about 50 minutes.  I walk a lot, even in the courthouse.  I know I can make the 30 miles.  Just a question of whether I'll be home for breakfast or not.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2012, 03:58:28 PM »
Well, there are a few things that WILL happen if you are forced to walk a considerable distance home in an emergency:

You will become fatigued
Your feet will be sore
You will become dehydrated
You will be at risk of getting lost/cut off
You will be exposed to outdoor conditions for a relatively prolonged time (cold, heat, rain, sun)

If your get-home-kit helps you deal with those issues you will most likely do fine.

Fatigue= Workout/get in shape NOW

Sore feet= make sure you have proper, quality foot gear,

Dehydration= make sure you have plenty of water in an easy to carry container(camelbak)

Getting lost= know and map out multiple routes to get to your destination beforehand. You have to be prepared to navigate during the night or in low visibility. Map out and scout different routes for different scenarios and know them well. Know exactly what you will come across on every route, potential hazard areas and rest areas, and the normal conditions(and projected catastrophic conditions) of each. This is probably the most elaborate part.

Outdoor conditions= Depending on where you live and what time of year it is you should include the appropriate clothing/accessories to cope. Coats, scarfs, light jacket, ponchos, hats, sunscreen, sunglasses, gloves...whatever you would normally need under those conditions.

Add your EDC and maybe some emergency cash to that and everything else is just for show and tell.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2012, 04:19:52 PM »
Chris, what are your plans in regards to zombies? I presume you keep a basic zombie kit in all your vehicles?

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2012, 08:19:01 PM »
Oh, for zombies I have a copletely different plan.  A good quality hand and a half sword joins the bag for decapitation purposes.  For humas it's just dead weight.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2012, 08:28:03 PM »
Do you happen to possess a vest with lots of pockets? Serious question.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2012, 10:42:28 PM »
My bag only has a few more things then yours. But I might be one mile or eighty miles from home.

I can leave the extra stuff with the car or buried along the side of the road depending on the situation. But it gives me choices depending on the weather, what has happened and how far I have to go.

I guess I need to add a few throwing stars in with the rest of the stuff.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2012, 11:40:38 AM »
Do you happen to possess a vest with lots of pockets? Serious question.

A vest is a great way to distribute weight. And using one of those CCW vests would be a good way to have a second gun hidden away.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2012, 12:33:40 PM »
Don't have a vest, but I do have several backpacks,, which is why I started thinking in that direction.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)