Author Topic: Get home bags, or "Am I doing something wrong?"  (Read 9375 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Re: Get home bags, or "Am I doing something wrong?"
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2012, 01:09:42 PM »
I'll admit this never occurred to me..  get home bags but it makes all the sense in the world.  My land cruiser was already set for this, all the various items one would put in such a bag (and then some) are already in it and I keep a backpack/camelback stashed in there.  The thought was if I break down or do something stupid out wheeling by myself and have to hike out a long ways.  It is also my bug out vehicle.  It stays permanently pretty well stocked.

My car that I drive daily to work or on routine road trips has minimal provisions. I have the requisite chains and mechanical stuff + a winter clothing bag and sleeping bag but that is about it.  That needs to change.  In town, I work maybe 7 miles from home so it is not a huge deal as I am always wearing hiking boots anyway.  However, if I am out of town or the weather is bad it would be a problem.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 09:42:41 PM by 41magsnub »

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2012, 05:33:09 PM »
Too Long/Didn't stop writing...  =D

Platypus bags roll up nice and small for storage and fit in most water bottle holders or even loose in the pack.  In hot or cold temps walking you'll use (should be using) a -lot- more water than normal, there's a balance between carrying too much and too little, particularly if there are good sources enroute, but every stop to fill up is time, time is speed, speed is safety.  You can always lighten the load by drinking it.

Depending on your particular situation there's nothing "wrong" with having some redundancy. 

At work you might keep a more comfy "shelter-in-place" kit which doesn't need to be light, mobile, or particularly "survival specialized" so can be dollar store type household stuff: blanket, toiletries, change of clothes with decent shoes -shoes are always key, learned that from any number of movies ;) -, some basic meds and any specialized ones, spare glasses/contacts, water purification, some comfort geedunk (including the aforementioned C2H6O), and maybe even some drink mixes and canned or dehydrated food and a cheap way to prep and heat them.  The .gov's 3-day kind of stuff.  If you have the training and can afford it or get it bought there's no reason not to have the company first aid kit go beyond aspirin and bandaids into trauma stuff.  You aren't paying for the lease to store it after all.

Keeping a small, light, basic "EDC kit" with you at all times on your person is never a bad idea.  Small knife, light, fire-making, button compass, multi-tool, etc.; the classic Altoid tin-type survival kit contents, even if on keychains and distributed through pockets.  For me, living in a city and having other supplies elsewhere, I'd go with more emphasis on things I'd actually find handy day-to-day like bandaids and pain-killers, first aid stuff.  Don't have much need daily for a survival snare or fishhooks.  ;/

As you get more stuff you can maybe build out an EDC "bag" as discussed with a real get-home kit in it to take on the job or leave in your car.   

Your car should already have the makings of a car-specific comfy "shelter in vehicle" kit (with carrying capability, like a folded seabag with straps so you can switch it all easily and quickly from transpo to transpo, IMO).  More serious first aid trauma type kit and the training to use it (also handy for range trips), blankets (picnic anyone?), spare seasonally-appropriate clothes/shoes (the Splash Zone at Sea World is a great idea, til the sun goes down and you're still wet), candles, fire-making, nice soft TP, basic ingress/egress tools and duct tape (my robbery/rape kit, as it'd be called in NYC).  Add water-purification, water storage and maybe some chow.  Flares, shovel and chains for snowy climes, esc.

Whenever I read of some idiot dying from exposure, cold or heat, because their car got stuck for a few days I can't muster any sympathy, the basics are responsible car ownership 101.

The one thing I notice a lot of people leave out of all the above "kits" are spare vision and meds.  If you can't see, you just increased your degree of difficulty a hundred-fold.  If you can't treat your chronic ailments you might just die.  Spare ugly framed glasses are comparatively cheap, even your last prescription should be "good enough".

Weapons and ammo are up to the individual and their laws and situation. 

I keep a USB cord, USB car plug, and USB wall plug charger "set" for my phone at home, at work, in my car, and in my briefcase.  The parts are cheap on Amazon, you should never have to worry about powering up your phone in a "non-collapse of the grid" situation, the back-up power units and solar and crank chargers are for that.  The phone is still a pocket computer with on-board app goodness (if prepared ahead of time) even without signal after all.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2012, 08:14:27 PM »
I am working up my shopping list.  I'm not really thinking in terms of a dedicated get home bag now...  it is more of a modular bug out backpack with portable stuff + bulkier more comfortable stuff that would get abandoned with the car if I had to walk but would enable me to survive for a pretty long time if stranded somewhere and walking out was not an option.  I'll probably strip the gear land cruiser a bit and swap the backpack back and forth with the bulkier items duplicated into each rig so the cost will be minimal.

One thing not mentioned yet is coffee.  You're thinking..  you fricken pansy...  coffee?  If I end up spending the night and wake up in the morning with a caffeine headache that makes a crappy situation that much more unpleasant.  I'm sticking in a couple of single serve instant coffee deals like the MRE's have.

They weigh some tiny fraction of an ounce each.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 09:36:00 PM by 41magsnub »

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2012, 08:45:39 PM »
People on gun forums and survivalist forums get all Walter Mitty and *expletive deleted*it and get far more gear focused than anything else. Hell, I posted on here for SAR 24 hr ready pack suggestions and people started leaning that way.

You only need to be able to survive for 48-72 hrs. It doesn't take a lot if you start with a good foundation- i.e., good clothes, good boots, water, some food, and some high quality gear.

Start with GOOD hiking boots, socks, and comfortable clothing. You don't want a pair of pants that feels comfortable for a normal day but start chafing when you do a lot of walking. You don't want $30 Wal-Mart hiking boots that fall apart soon after you start walking. Your clothing will be a large part of your shelter and it's critical in keeping you going, what with regulating body temp and such.

Hydration is very critical. Carry plenty of water, you will need it. Throw some water purification tablets into your bag if you need to purify some water from a crick or river. Unfortunately, water is also heavy so you won't be able to carry a huge amount.

A good pocketknife will see you through a lot. You MAY want to add a machete or one of the midsize Estwing camp axes (I have never liked small hatchets/tomahawks) but you could really do without it. No real need for multitools and large fixed blade knives and whatnot.

You aren't going to be hunting or catching fish on your "get home" journey. So no need for such gear.

Maps and Compass...and the know how to use them.

Spare power for the cell phone is at least as important as a map and compass.  Less obtrusive, easier to use while moving.  No idea how GPS/accelerometer functions tie in with voice service/data service/random wifi, etc.  Obviously lack of power or service turns it useless, but if it's possible to use it, I'd rather use that than work off a map.

Negative. We've had several people get lost at my park due to trying to use cell phone navigation.

There is no replacement for good maps and a compass. GPS is a supplement.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!