Author Topic: Some of you are gonna hate it, but I think I'm liking this...  (Read 9397 times)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Some of you are gonna hate it, but I think I'm liking this...
« on: December 13, 2013, 10:11:59 PM »
I'll be the first to admit, I'm not much of a 1911 guy...  I prefer my HK USP's for fullsize autos and Glock 26 as my compact. I have one ho-hum Springfield Milspec that's almost still NIB. My grandfather had a 1911 stolen during fire repairs to his home in the early 2000's (I shudder to think of what exact 1911 it might have been... U.S. marked Colt? A Singer? Who knows?) and he got the Springfield milspec as it's insurance replacement and never used it. When he died in 2003 I inherited it.

However this could make me change my mind. http://www.recovertactical.com/

I'm thinking they should just go for the gold and integrate lights/lasers right in, since their design and control of the molds means they could put wiring and pressure pads/switches right into the grip, unless maybe Crimson Trace etc. has all the IP/patents sewn up.

It requires no permanent modifications. So don't hate too much.  :angel:
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Some of you are gonna hate it, but I think I'm liking this...
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 10:15:09 PM »
Same price and aesthetics as a pair of ugly, rubber and plastic, finger groove grips, but adds a rail. I could see it being very popular.

Would look very interesting on a Commander.    :laugh:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zahc

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 10:16:32 PM »
The word that immediately comes to mind is "fugly". But it does provide a way to add a rail.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 10:21:28 PM »
I find myself seriously tempted.
I like a lower profile grip, though, and those seem a little thick.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 10:33:25 PM »
In lima bean green? I am so there.

Seriously. does it work? Let the freakin' market decide.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 10:34:04 PM »
I find myself seriously tempted.
I like a lower profile grip, though, and those seem a little thick.

Me too.  I was ready to go all fire and brimstone on your blasphemous asses over this adulteration to St. Browning's design, but that's pretty cool.

My EDC when I was young and more flexible was a double stack 1911, so that's not all that thick to me.  The thicker grip really wasn't all that hard to conceal.  It was the nine pound brick of ammo that really made me limp.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 10:34:15 PM »
That's actually pretty interesting. I agree with the fugly, but one of the things keeping me from using one of my 1911s as a nightstand gun is that none of mine have a rail. Something like that could do it for a gun I just kept in the house. I couldn't find any photos of the right side to see if it would clear an ambi safety. Fat grip wouldn't bother me and my long hands.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 10:37:37 PM »
Not pretty, but interesting.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 10:48:11 PM »
I'll be the first to admit, I'm not much of a 1911 guy...  I prefer my HK USP's for fullsize autos and Glock 26 as my compact. I have one ho-hum Springfield Milspec that's almost still NIB. My grandfather had a 1911 stolen during fire repairs to his home in the early 2000's (I shudder to think of what exact 1911 it might have been... U.S. marked Colt? A Singer? Who knows?) and he got the Springfield milspec as it's insurance replacement and never used it. When he died in 2003 I inherited it.

However this could make me change my mind. http://www.recovertactical.com/

I'm thinking they should just go for the gold and integrate lights/lasers right in, since their design and control of the molds means they could put wiring and pressure pads/switches right into the grip, unless maybe Crimson Trace etc. has all the IP/patents sewn up.

It requires no permanent modifications. So don't hate too much.  :angel:

Knock yourself out.  I find it unsightly. 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 02:19:15 AM »
Anything that doesn't require a permanent mod to the firearm could be fun to play with.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2013, 06:55:42 AM »
Want a 1911 rail? Here you go: http://www.amazon.com/SureFire-X-Series-Adaptor-Mount-1911/dp/B001V2X8B4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1387009398&sr=8-2&keywords=1911+rail

I found this review, uh, interesting.

I personally carry nothing but 1911s and in my daily carry I always carry two Para Ordnance P-14s.

Uh, ok.  =|

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 10:29:55 AM »
The word that immediately comes to mind is "fugly". But it does provide a way to add a rail.

There are other ways to add a rail to a 1911. http://ezine.m1911.org/Tick.htm

And that ... thing ... doesn't cover and retain the plunger tube the way the left-side grip panel is supposed to. Faulty design, showing that the creator doesn't understand 1911s.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2013, 01:43:38 PM »
I found this review, uh, interesting.

Uh, ok.  =|
He probably ankle carries them.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2013, 01:49:53 PM »
Will never take off, because:

Holster.

You're changing the contour of the frame around the dust cover (making it much taller to accomodate the light rail) and on the face of the trigger guard, as well as thicker around  the trigger guard and slide stop.

The light rail will not match up with the modern integrated rail designs, making compatibility with existing holster selections impossible.

It's a good idea, but pointless without holster support.  You'd have to revert to a craptastic $10 gun show "one size fits none" style holster.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2013, 01:54:15 PM »
I've seen several of these "add on" 1911 rails now.  I've even shot a couple on friends pistols.  The conclusion I've been forced to reach is that you really need to decide if you want a rail before you purchase the 1911.  If you do there are several options from ~$500 to well I have yet to find the top end of 1911 prices.  But there's railed 1911 options in every 1911 price range.  You wouldn't buy a 2 wheel drive vehicle and try to convert it later.  Of you CAN, but you shouldn't.  Same with add on rails.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2013, 02:00:34 PM »
Uggg...

No.

Just no.

You want to use your 1911 with a white light? Learn how to shoot with a flashlight.

You want rails, get something else.

*shudder*

(seriously, though, a 1911's countors make shooting,with one hand more then doable even with smaller hands. One reason I like 1911's so much is the grip profile. Once you take that away, well, you've lost a lot of what makes it good. I can find plenty of pistols with rails that will fit me fine, and if I want a rail I'll get one of those)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2013, 02:17:23 PM »
And that ... thing ... doesn't cover and retain the plunger tube the way the left-side grip panel is supposed to. Faulty design, showing that the creator doesn't understand 1911s.

Good catch.

I've seen several of these "add on" 1911 rails now.  I've even shot a couple on friends pistols.  The conclusion I've been forced to reach is that you really need to decide if you want a rail before you purchase the 1911.  If you do there are several options from ~$500 to well I have yet to find the top end of 1911 prices.  But there's railed 1911 options in every 1911 price range.  You wouldn't buy a 2 wheel drive vehicle and try to convert it later.  Of you CAN, but you shouldn't.  Same with add on rails.

IF you decide you want a rail BEFORE you get the gun, sure. It also allows one to remove the rail. That appeals to some.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2013, 02:34:24 PM »
Good catch.

IF you decide you want a rail BEFORE you get the gun, sure. It also allows one to remove the rail. That appeals to some.

Also some of us old farts got our 1911s before there were 1911s with rails.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2013, 03:00:46 PM »
No, hell no, and never.
I don't want a rail bad enough to ugly up a 1911.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2013, 03:08:29 PM »
My Apple fanboy friend's favorite sneer comes to mind:  bloatware (or should that be spelt "bloatwear?")
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2013, 06:21:39 PM »
Kill it with fire. One day I'll have a retarded looking 1911 with a funky modular grip, it's called an Infinity. Leave the standard one standard.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2013, 11:57:06 PM »

IF you decide you want a rail BEFORE you get the gun, sure.

IF you decide you need a rail after you buy the gun, buy a new gun.  Either replace or add to the collection. Don't try to half-a  a basic feature of the frame.  It's like (now I'm going to step in it) buying a Direct Impingement gun and bolting a gas piston to it.

It also allows one to remove the rail. That appeals to some.

Those people are wrong.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2013, 12:24:33 AM »
IF you decide you need a rail after you buy the gun, buy a new gun. 

'Cause everyone has plenty of cash laying around, and all 1911s are the same, so just buy another one. 

I know you're trying to be realistic, here, and from a quality standpoint, you're right. No one ever said an add-on is as good as a built-in rail. But realistically, people might have perfectly good reasons to use the adapter gizmos. For example, if Bubba has a Colt that he's found to be dead-reliable for twenty years and 50,000 rounds, he may not be all that thrilled about trading it in on a new Rock Island that may not be as good.