Author Topic: Some of you are gonna hate it, but I think I'm liking this...  (Read 9392 times)

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Re: Some of you are gonna hate it, but I think I'm liking this...
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2013, 01:41:24 PM »
For those of us who have several 1911s, it may have some appeal.

I can see it as a nightstand gun.  Pack the slick 1911 for CCW, keep the one with laser/phaser/wind speed indicator where it can be grabbed in the middle of the night as the dogs bark. 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

brimic

• friends
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2013, 02:23:25 PM »
Nope, don't like.
Its like Tapco for 1911s.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2013, 02:25:33 PM »
For those of us who have several 1911s, it may have some appeal.

I can see it as a nightstand gun.  Pack the slick 1911 for CCW, keep the one with laser/phaser/wind speed indicator where it can be grabbed in the middle of the night as the dogs bark. 

That was my thought. Obviously I'm not a BTDT kind of guy for CCW use, but I'm always trying to minimize the bulk when carrying, not add to it. I'd rather carry a separate flashlight for nighttime CCW, especially since I often have need of a flashlight at night anyway, but have as of yet, not needed the gun. In the couple of classes I've taken, the instructors have always only taught flashlight use, and not one student in either class showed up with a mounted light. Guys like Flys320s, who have taken lots of classes, might have a different perspective.

As a nightstand gun on the other hand, I see a real value to only grabbing one item, or if I'm going to grab two, putting a phone in my other hand versus a light. Practicing with it, the TL4 light/laser combo works really well for me mounted on my PPQ, which is why I've been using it as my nightstand gun. When I CCW the PPQ though, the light comes off, as would an accessory rail on a 1911 if I went the route of the OP accessory.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2013, 03:37:24 PM »
Nope, don't like.

good comparison.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2013, 06:41:33 PM »
Nope, don't like.

I was thinking more along the lines that someone frakinsteined a 1911 slide to an altered HK frame, and we all lose.
:barf:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2013, 07:26:56 PM »
I was thinking more along the lines that someone frakinsteined a 1911 slide to an altered HK frame, and we all lose.
:barf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxxSIX3fmmo

The clamp on thing looks more like an XDM grip to me.  Which if that's what one wants, that's what one should get.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2013, 09:08:38 PM »
Given that we (and I mean gun people) have done just about everything else possible to "improve" the 1911, I fail to see the reason for a hue and cry over a replacement grip (and that's pretty much all it is) that allows one to mount something to front (like a light or laser).  Why would anyone be against improving their gun.  While ZOMG!!111 there aren't any holster for it (With or without a light).  I remember reading recently on View from the Porch that Tam had ordered a Kydex holster that accommodated her EDC gun with it's new light on rail under the barrel.  And IIRC, her EDC sure ain't a 1911.

I predict that before long someone will come up with way to make a Kydex holster for your 1911 with "Da railz" underneath !!  "Just tell us what doo-dad(s) you've mounted and we'll ship you one before the plastic is even fully cooled !!!"

Plus I could see this a very useful additional to someone's bedside gun.  Mount a flashlight to your 1911 and you too can go hunting for Brad and Mike knocking over the cast iron in your kitchen as they make chili and cornbread.   :P

ETA:  Tam's Post.  Which lead me here.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 01:15:29 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2013, 11:40:44 PM »
Given that we (and I mean gun people) have done just about everything else possible to "improve" the 1911, I fail to see the reason for a hue and cry over a replacement grip (and that's pretty much all it is) that allows one to mount something to front (like a light or laser).  Why would anyone be against improving their gun.  While ZOMG!!111 there aren't any holster for it (With or without a light). 

Yeah, 'cause it could be a lot worse. It could be ivory grips.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2013, 11:43:55 PM »
Plus I could see this a very useful additional to someone's bedside gun.  Mount a flashlight to your 1911 and you too can go hunting for Brad and Mike knocking over the cast iron in your kitchen as they make chili and cornbread.

There are conflicting schools of thought about gun-mounted lights. Aside from the notion that a light is a convenient target for a bad guy so it's better to hold it at arm's length, there is also this quaint notion that you're not supposed to "cover" (point the muzzle of  your firearm at) anything (anybody) you're not willing to destroy. Mount the light on your gun, and you MUST point the gun at whatever/whoever it is you intend to illuminate. If that happens to be your teenager sneaking in after a late date and you have a light trigger and clumsy fingers -- oh, well, the kid shouldn't have been sneaking in late -- that'll teach him/her. Oops.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Tamara

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2013, 12:45:44 AM »
"There are conflicting schools of thought about gun-mounted lights."

Yes there are.

"Mount the light on your gun, and you MUST point the gun at whatever/whoever it is you intend to illuminate."

If you think that's how the light on your gun is supposed to work, you're in the wrong "School Of Thought". Turn in your flashlight and the gun it's screwed to, as well.

"I predict that before long someone will come up with way to make a Kydex holster for your 1911 with "Da railz" underneath !!  Just tell use what doo-dad(s) you've mounted and we'll ship you one before the plastic is even fully cooled !!!"

That's not how that works, Scout26. If you have some off-the wall accessory for which a holster maker doesn't have a mold gun, you'll need to ship that accessory off to the holster maker so they can use it to mold a holster. Kydex is not a way around this.

FWIW, I think this accessory is goofy as the day is long, and is a way of fattening up a 1911 so it doesn't fit in a decent holster, just so you can put a flashlight on it. If someone wants a flashlight on their 1911, buy a railgun or a CTC lLightguard, don't try to cheap out with some crappy Tapco-esque accessory bandaid fix. This thing is the equivalent of an SKS with a plastic bipod on the bayo lug and a polymer 30-rounder.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2013, 01:17:22 AM »
^^^What what what? The power of our snark grows!  =D

Yeah, 'cause it could be a lot worse. It could be ivory grips.

Burn the witch warlock sock puppet!
I'd be all over some ivory grips if I had spare cash. Remember, MoP=pimptastic, not ivory.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2013, 01:32:03 AM »
Scout: kydex must be form-fitted to not only the exact lines of the particular firearm... but also the flashlight (if a railed weapons light is intended to be attached while holstered).

There are dozens of weapons lights out there.  But if you want to holster your pistol with one attached, you've got about 3 choices for light make/models.  And maybe 5 choices for platforms.  And better be right-handed.

This device exacerbates the problem of a proper holster to a degree that no one will ever make a holster for it.  It does not fit the same dimensions as a proper Springfield Operator or similar standardized railed 1911.  The light is mounted lower by a couple tenths of an inch.  The railed portion of the body is wider by a couple tenths of an inch.  The point where the kydex pinch-retains the pistol around the front of the trigger guard is different dimensions.  Users of this product will never have holster compatibility with other common holsters for railed 1911's.

A buyer of this product is compelled to be happy with a craptastic gun-bucket holster from the guy selling SKS Tapco junk at the gun show.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2013, 07:15:58 AM »
Burn the witch warlock sock puppet!
I'd be all over some ivory grips if I had spare cash. Remember, MoP=pimptastic, not ivory.

White grips are just ugly.

A buyer of this product is compelled to be happy with a craptastic gun-bucket holster from the guy selling SKS Tapco junk at the gun show.

If they want to holster it, maybe. I would think it's most likely to be used on a home defense gun.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2013, 07:30:11 AM »
Why are we defending the homestead with a pistol anyway? Or is it just to fight your way to your PGO shotgun?  =D
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2013, 08:04:25 AM »

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2013, 08:24:32 AM »
Mount the light on your gun, and you MUST point the gun at whatever/whoever it is you intend to illuminate.

Why? I've got a TLR1 on my little SR9c.  It puts out enough light that if I point it out in front of me but down at the floor it still floods a darkened room with enough light to recognize people.  I haven't tried it, but I suspect I'd get even more illumination of the room if I went Full Sabrina and kept it pointed at the ceiling so the light reflected down off of the white ceiling.

Not that I have any intention of doing so.  If I hear people downstairs I'm going to be watching the top of the stairs from inside my bedroom, yelling to whoever it is to get the hell out before the cops show up while my wife calls 911.  I'm not playing Hunt The Bad Guy in my boxers unless I have no other choice.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2013, 11:04:07 AM »
As a few of us know, molding your own Kydex is not rocket science, if you’ve got an oven, some plywood, and an old camping mattress, and normal cutting/sanding/drilling tools no home really ought be without, you can make a Kydex holster.

However, I won’t be going that far. This is just for playing around and a range toy.  I’m not a “1911 guy” to begin with, I have one because I inherited it. I do like the fast action of dropping the safety and having an instant SA shot. So as to why people love the 1911, I “get it”, but the balance and grip angle and the particular recoil profile in terms of time to target recovery just doesn’t work for me. While the recoil impulse of the .45 acp is pleasant, the leverage the muzzle has over the hand makes it jump and wander obnoxiously. Maybe this will feel different enough that I can enjoy shooting it and the Springfield Milspec that’s been shot for exactly seven times for one magazine’s worth will see some use.

And after shooting, I freely admit my second most favorite range activity is the social aspect of making people go “What the hell is that?” So by definition, I like weird stuff.  Folding my Keltec Sub9 in half. The Sterling with its side mounted horizontal magazine, the converted Saiga 12ga with PK-A scope and 20 round drums… 

I don’t disagree with the idea posted earlier this is the Tapcofication of the 1911.  And I’m eyes wide open when it comes to oddball Israeli firearm accessories.  i.e. The same country that’s brought us the ”scrotum light”. And I just realized subconsciously, this grip looks a little like the semi-unobtanium Keltec PMR-30 I’ve wanted as a plinker for some time now. That probably plays into it too.

I do agree the failure to cover/retain the plunger detent tube for the slide lock and safety is a major oversight. However, that the right side grip panel is supposed to do that just made me lose that much more respect for the 1911 as a design in the first place. Seems like a bit of a “kludge” on the part of JMB if you ask me. (granted, that could be a late addition to address added military requirements, like IIRC the grip-safety was…) Of course, that does very little to detract from the overall genius of creating the tilting barrel recoil operated semi-automatic pistol in the first place. The broad design of which has been the standard of almost every successful service caliber auto pistol since.  However, if one were to take those who say the 1911 is “perfection” literally, we’d have none of the improvements like ejection port lockup, and linkless barrel pivots.

The firearm or accessory may or may not work, but I won’t fault anyone ever for trying.
I promise not to duck.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2013, 02:07:39 PM »

"I predict that before long someone will come up with way to make a Kydex holster for your 1911 with "Da railz" underneath !!  Just tell use what doo-dad(s) you've mounted and we'll ship you one before the plastic is even fully cooled !!!"

That's not how that works, Scout26. If you have some off-the wall accessory for which a holster maker doesn't have a mold gun, you'll need to ship that accessory off to the holster maker so they can use it to mold a holster. Kydex is not a way around this.

Mashing the link to Raven's website, it would appear to be exactly the way it works.   I predict that they will have the Recover CG3 that they can mount to a mold gun if they get enough* requests.  Which will be listed in the "Model" drop down menu.  Then you move on down the list to number five "Light" and select the light you have mounted.

If they can do it for almost every other handgun, I don't see this as being all that tough of a putt.  Again, if they get enough* requests for holsters using this rail system.

* - "Enough" being the number that Raven feels make it worthwhile to buy at least one Recover CG3 to use on their mold guns. 

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2013, 02:10:43 PM »
Huh?

How many plunger tubes have you broken off or shot loose?

They're staked in to the frame.  That's a common technique, see also front and rear sights.  Loose plunger tube/sight assembly is a flaw in assembly, not design.

Start piddle-farting around with one, like a lot of home gunsmiths are wont to do, and you might get one to pop free.  

Of course, that home gunsmith's pair of Vice Grips probably accelerated the disassembly thereof.

I note that the Hogue monogrip on one of my 1911s actually covers the plunger tube.

If you're skeered of that wascally plunger tube departing for parts unknown, either stake it properly, or there are grip panels that will keep it there until you can stake it.

(Says the 1911 guy who was prompted by this thread to look at flashlight mounts for his bedside AK sidefolder...)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2013, 02:17:22 PM »
Huh?

They're staked in to the frame.  That's a common technique, see also front and rear sights.  Loose plunger tube/sight assembly is a flaw in assembly, not design.

Start piddle-farting around with one, like a lot of home gunsmiths are wont to do, and you might get one to pop free.  

Of course, that home gunsmith's pair of Vice Grips probably accelerated the disassembly thereof.

I note that the Hogue monogrip on one of my 1911s actually covers the plunger tube.

If you're skeered of that wascally plunger tube departing for parts unknown, either stake it properly, or there are grip panels that will keep it there until you can stake it.

(Says the 1911 guy who was prompted by this thread to look at flashlight mounts for his bedside AK sidefolder...)

Then apparently that particular objection to the grips are a red herring.  =)
I promise not to duck.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2013, 02:27:07 PM »
A buddy lost one, but it was on an IAI gun, so I'm more likely to fault the manufacturer than the design.

They're staked in to the frame.  That's a common technique, see also front and rear sights.
I've shot of front sights a couple of times.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2013, 02:44:25 PM »
Then apparently that particular objection to the grips are a red herring.

True.  That ain't the 800 pound gorilla here. 

My objection is that they're friggin' ugly (or fugly), so the Tapco reference is appropriate.  

Although, if ugly guns work, they're not necessarily a bad thing.  Witness the Ruger P95 and its successors.  

Grendels and Kel-Tecs run a close second.  

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2013, 03:13:01 PM »
  I'm not playing Hunt The Bad Guy in my boxers unless I have no other choice.

And why they're wearing your boxers you'll never know!
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2013, 03:13:12 PM »
Like a Glock is a thing of beauty.....

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.