Poll

Men: At what age are women the most attractive for marriage?

18-20
6 (15.8%)
21-24
7 (18.4%)
25-28
16 (42.1%)
29-30
3 (7.9%)
31-35
4 (10.5%)
36+
2 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: Men: At what age are women the most attractive for marriage?  (Read 13448 times)

Pb

• friend
Men: At what age are women the most attractive for marriage?
« on: February 18, 2014, 12:57:01 PM »
I was read an article the other day in which a woman encouraged younger women to look for potential husbands in college- the idea being that they could attract a better quality husband when they are more youthful.

Is this true in your opinion?  At what age do you think women are most attractive as marriage partners?

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
Re: Men: At what age are women the most attractive for marriage?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 01:01:51 PM »
I am familiar with the line of philosophy in the article you read and I agree with it...however I would never marry a college age girl simply because most of them don't know *expletive deleted*it. If I met one that was smart and well read I would consider it.

I don't think its any great secret that younger women are usually more attractive but there's a lot more than that under consideration for wife material.

The overall cultural trend of "finding yourself" is probably what that article is taking aim at.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 01:41:46 PM »
I was read an article the other day in which a woman encouraged younger women to look for potential husbands in college- the idea being that they could attract a better quality husband when they are more youthful.

Is this true in your opinion?  At what age do you think women are most attractive as marriage partners?

The author is on to something, for all sorts of reasons. 
1. Women are more/most attractive to men at that age and will likely parley that into a more advantageous match relative to later in time.
2. No career to interrupt with a marriage.
3. If she wants kids, having them younger is the smart move (birth defects, energy to raise them, career diversion, etc.)
4. The number of similar status male dating options is as high as it is ever going to be.
5. The time available to vet suitors is as high as it is ever going to be.

Part of the problem is the social expectations of later marriage, which the author I presume addresses. 

But there are other issues that drive the age at which men & women marry.  These factors can be grouped under the label, "Affordable Family Formation."
1. General state of the economy.  Harder times push the age out and result in fewer births.  The age is pushed out farther for men than women for obvious reasons.
2. College cost/debt.  Debt service means poorer/less credit available and hits cash flow.  More debt drives up marrying age.
3a. Immigration/immigrants driving down the labor market clearing house price.  IOW, higher supply of labor from H1B & similar visas drives down skilled wages.  It will take longer to accumulate the capital to put a down payment on a house, for example.  Or result in more unemployment.
3b. Immigration/immigrants driving up demand for housing, making it more expensive for new families to afford their own living arrangements. (Can we say, "Sand State Housing Bubble?")
3c. Immigrants taking up STEM grad student slots because the colleges prefer the taste of full-price, out of state tuition on a student visa to local boys who might not be as passive in the face of administrative self-aggrandizement.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 01:48:21 PM »
Actually there's a couple of interpretations of your question.  Going with the less obvious one, a man has to be pretty young to be attracted to marriage . . .

Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 01:51:30 PM »
Question, as asked, is far too broad. (Pun intended.)

How old is the man, and what is his situation? Does the lady intend to get a degree, or have a career?

Why is 15-17 not an option?  =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 02:01:22 PM »
About 32 and had kids already if she wants to. As a 39 year old single man there is nothing more terrifying to me than a 35-40 year old woman with no kids that wants them. They will make any number of bad decisions to get there. Despite the half age +6 thing I'm beginning to have my doubts about women much younger than 30.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 02:37:04 PM »
I'm going with 'it depends.'
If you are looking to have kids, the younger, the better.
If you are looking for a companion, then a similar age, similar values, similar experiences that can be related to are probably more important.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 02:41:06 PM by brimic »
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 03:11:06 PM »
I accediently skewed your results. I clicked the vote before I saw that you had opened the option to veiw results without voting.

Oh, well... =D (and I hit the 29-30, since I am 30 :lol: )

Link to article?
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 03:46:29 PM »
I accediently skewed your results. I clicked the vote before I saw that you had opened the option to veiw results without voting.

Oh, well... =D (and I hit the 29-30, since I am 30 :lol: )

Link to article?

So the correct answer to the poll is 'whatever age Liz is at?'   :lol:

Barack Obama

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 04:48:44 PM »
I voted for 25-28, on the basis that by that time, they have probably been out of college for a few years and started to get established in their career.  That was the theory behind Ms. MillCreek 1.0, whom was 26 when we were married.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 04:51:27 PM »
You left out a couple brackets at the good ages?

Women are like cats...if you get them young they can be housebroken; once they go feral, it's too late.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 05:06:22 PM »

Depends.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 05:11:44 PM »

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 05:25:43 PM »
Your question is defective.  It doesn't make any sense.   :P

What age is the man?
Does he even want to get married?
Does he want kids, or just a partner?
How did all those animals fit inside the Ark?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 05:49:50 PM »

How did all those animals fit inside the Ark?
They didn't. Its why dinosaurs are extinct. :P

Barack Obama

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 06:09:54 PM »
Never heard the saying that young women go to college to earn their Mrs. degree?

Even with today's "equality" young women are being encouraged to latch onto an up and coming stud with good salary prospects.

OTOH, said young studs might be much better served waiting a while and then latching on to an older, expereienced, intellectually and emotionally mature woman.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 06:16:30 PM »
a few months after their 19th birthday ;-)
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 06:19:20 PM »
So the correct answer to the poll is 'whatever age Liz is at?'   :lol:

Yesh =D

I'm betting the actual answer is "at whatever age works best for that couple" and will add that my mothers most successful marriage/relationship was the one after she passed the 50 year mark. Many years later, it's still going strong.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2014, 06:35:55 PM »
I personally think a woman who takes care of herself hits peak looks and physical attractiveness in that 25-30 age range.  That is all.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2014, 06:39:30 PM »
They didn't. Its why dinosaurs are extinct. :P

Tallpine never learned about the dinos going extinct. It wasn't in his textbooks.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2014, 06:39:49 PM »
I personally think a woman who has the money to get a boob job is usually in the 25-30 age range.  That is all.

FTFY :-D
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2014, 07:22:51 PM »

Tallpine never learned about the dinos going extinct. It wasn't in his textbooks.

Moreover, I'm not extinct yet   =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

zahc

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2014, 07:27:05 PM »
I personally think a woman who takes care of herself hits peak looks and physical attractiveness in that 25-30 age range.  That is all.

If true, that means by definition, it's all downhill from there.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2014, 09:33:06 PM »
We were 19 when we married. After almost 32 years it seems to have worked out so far. So I'll have to go with that age bracket.

On the other hand, should my wife kick off, my current choice would be none of the above.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2014, 09:35:19 PM »
X/2+7
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"