Author Topic: Rats: Killing the Nasty Beasts  (Read 3525 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Rats: Killing the Nasty Beasts
« on: May 31, 2006, 06:56:24 AM »
We have a rat problem.

I didn't worry as long as they stayed in the attic & shed, but they have decided that they need AC, too, and have invaded the interior.

Methods We have Tried:
1. Rat poison up in the attic & under the house (crawlspace).  
In the attic, it is in the "rat boxes" to keep the poison from other critters.

2. Rat traps in shed.  
Classic mousetraps sized for rats.  I have nailed two in the last week.

3. Glue strip traps in garage
Very effective...on lizards, poor devils.  I like lizards.
One glue trap was left with rat droppings and rat hair all over it, but no rat.  I think it did that to taunt me.

4. Dogs
They nail one every once in a while in the back yard.  Good doggies.

Circumstances:
1. Dogs in back yard, front yard, house, garage (not all at the same time...only two dogs)
2. Mobile rugrats
3. Pier & beam foundation

I don't want to harm either dogs or rugrats.  For some reason the rats like my son's room and we find evidence.  Poison is out of the question both outdoors & indoors (except attic & crawlspace) & rat traps would break his fingers/hand.  Glue traps would be no big deal if he got into them, but they don't seem effective.

Any ideas?  

Any methods I have missed other than nuking them from orbit?

Any better bait for the mechanical traps then peanut butter?

I am not impressed with Orkin, who came out & laid the glue traps.  I have more luck with my mechanical traps.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 07:12:42 AM »
you must find the queen rat and fight it to the death with a powered armor suit
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 08:09:05 AM »
I have had better luck with the poison that comes in little blocks than with the boxes full of loose poisoned grain etc. I got it at Home Depot, I can't remember the name, but it's in a white box with a panther on it.

My theroy is that the solid blocks are a better score for the rodents, easier to carry away and eat at thier leisure, or take back to the nest. I think the solid block also appeals to their gnawing instinct more than loose pellets or grain would.

The blocks are also easier to shove into tight corners where kids and pets can't get at them, and are also the places rodents like to hang out. You should also lay the poison in places the rodents like to move, like along the edges where walls join the floor, along rafters or joists, and in or near gaps they may be using to travel through.
I promise not to duck.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 08:14:36 AM »
Take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.

That's the only way to be sure.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

client32

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 08:46:43 AM »
The only trick I know is to put your bait/posion in your shed or somewhere outside your house.  If they have plenty of food (or what they think is food) they will leave the house.  The other plus is that you lessen your chance that they will die in the house.

This is just something I have been told before.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 09:25:07 AM »
you really can not tolerate them anywhere within your dominion

they get fertile every 6 days and get pregnant ASAP
2 become 10 become 100

Mikes right:
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

m1911owner

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 10:07:16 AM »
Our exterminator said that they like Snickers bars.  I recently baited a trap with a chunk of Snickers, and caught the little bugger.

They also seem to really like the Country Captain Chicken MREs.  They were going after those in the garage, so the exterminator baited some traps with it, and that night nailed a whole family of rats (mom and four or five juveniles (end of problem!)).

I agree about exterminators--they don't do anything that you can't do yourself with traps and glue strips.  (But the landlord was paying for the guy, so we let him do the dirty work.)

Mongo

• http://mongomutter.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 11:00:51 AM »
For some reason the rats like my son's room and we find evidence.
Ummm Yeah.  The ants like my 17 year old daughter's room too.. Something about the cereal bowls and other food items she leaves laying around...

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 12:09:39 PM »
Quote from: Mongo
For some reason the rats like my son's room and we find evidence.
Ummm Yeah.  The ants like my 17 year old daughter's room too.. Something about the cereal bowls and other food items she leaves laying around...
Yuck.

That is not the problem, as my son is 19 months old & doesn't eat in his room.  For that, we risk a CPS raid by strapping him down in a restaurant-style high chair with a splat mat below to catch what doesn't reach his mouth.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2006, 12:39:50 PM »
My sister had some success using the ultra sonic noise emitters to convince field mice that her home was not an optimal living area

you might need something that you can turn up to 11 for rats

danny

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2006, 04:27:07 PM »
I had a friend who was a professional exterminator under contract to the city of Chicago.  According to what he explained,  rodents cannot vomit.  Anything down the throat must take the whole tour.  For this reason, the poisons they used contained a strong regurgitant so that dogs, children, etc will reject it quickly.  You might want to look into it.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2006, 05:39:34 PM »
i have also heard you can mix flour sugar and portland cement

leave out some water and wait for the hardening to set in

crt360

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2006, 06:23:13 PM »
I read somewhere that they flee from certain loud music (I'm guessing some Cypress Hill or Slayer might work), but are actually attracted to classical music.  Maybe that's how the Pied Piper was so successful.  I'm not sure if it works, but I listen to a lot of classical and when I hear a rat in the attic I switch over to something heavy.  I haven't had a chance to interview a rat afterward, but I suspect it might work.  I think the heavy bass has some adverse physiological effect on them.
For entertainment purposes only.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2006, 07:01:16 PM »
Geez, I thought I'd repopulated the neighborhood with about 4 generations of cats before I moved, Thud...you need to scrounge around down the block and see if you can get some to come back home with you. Those were the ones who would bring me half-rabbits, baby ducks, half-cotton rats and snakes all the time. Don't worry, all of them got along fine with dogs. They'll love Ten. They all thought they were Labradors or Aussies.

I did see several fine feline specimens at the Richardson pound yesterday morning.

Didn't you invest in a fine air rifle awhile back?  A little dog food and a picnic table for a shooting bench make a fine evening.

I could always lend you the Fox Terror.  She loves herself a Big Mess O' Rat.

http://www.ratkill.com

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Strings

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2006, 08:53:05 PM »
I'm sorry, but I think Mike has the best idea yet (wait a sec... did I just agree with Mike?!?!?).

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2006, 09:02:27 PM »
You're welcome to come by my place and we can go turn over some logs as see if we can get you a nice box o' rat snakes to turn loose in the walls.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Twycross

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2006, 09:47:08 PM »
My dad had some luck with leaving chewing gum out, when going after voles. It apparently, uh,  plugs the plumbing. Or so we think.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2006, 07:13:14 AM »
Quote from: Stand_watie
You're welcome to come by my place and we can go turn over some logs as see if we can get you a nice box o' rat snakes to turn loose in the walls.
Hmmm, I might take that offer up if my attempts to rat-proof my house (screen over vent pipes on roof, etc) and kill the buggers (traps & poison) fail.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2006, 07:27:19 AM »
Quote from: Sylvilagus Aquaticus
Geez, I thought I'd repopulated the neighborhood with about 4 generations of cats before I moved, Thud...you need to scrounge around down the block and see if you can get some to come back home with you. Those were the ones who would bring me half-rabbits, baby ducks, half-cotton rats and snakes all the time. Don't worry, all of them got along fine with dogs. They'll love Ten. They all thought they were Labradors or Aussies.

I did see several fine feline specimens at the Richardson pound yesterday morning.

Didn't you invest in a fine air rifle awhile back?  A little dog food and a picnic table for a shooting bench make a fine evening.

I could always lend you the Fox Terror.  She loves herself a Big Mess O' Rat.

http://www.ratkill.com

Regards,
Rabbit.
I see cats all over the neighborhood, but have yet to try to get one to come home with me.  They run off, the skittish devils.  Maybe what I need is a ferret.

I own a Beeman R1 from way back.  Unfortunately, it is louder & heavier than my .22 rifles.  I bought a Benjamin pump-up air pistol, but it is marginal on grackles & it failed to anchor a rat I nailed with it a year back.  I like the bait & wait idea & will give it some thought.

BTW, ratkill.com is chock full of good information.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2006, 07:29:20 AM »
"I'm sorry, but I think Mike has the best idea yet (wait a sec... did I just agree with Mike?!?!?)."

Well that's great, that's just ****in' great man, now what the **** are we supposed to do? We're in some real pretty **** now man... That's it man, game over man, game over, man! Game over! What the **** are we gonna do now? What are we gonna do?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TMM

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2006, 01:34:46 PM »
.22 pistol with shotshell ammunition, bait, and free time?

BillBlank

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2006, 02:23:48 PM »
Maybe we could build a fire, sing a couple of songs, why don't we try that?
Just so happens Satan's behind the bar pulling the late shift for a buddy...

crt360

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2006, 02:40:43 PM »
Quote from: TMM
.22 pistol with shotshell ammunition, bait, and free time?
Back when we were in college, a cousin of mine and his roommate used that very method in their apartment.  They kept the exterminator and ammo sitting handily on the coffee table.  Their baseboards didn't look so good.
For entertainment purposes only.

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2006, 04:52:34 AM »
Yry these folks for advice   www.bugspray.net   I have been pleased with the pest control products I have gotten from them.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2006, 11:52:18 AM »
A boy cat and a girl cat given sufficient time will end the problem.  I live in an apartment complex sporting a large variety of outdoor felines.  No small critters or the evidence of small critters.  Even the squirrels are extra large.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon