Author Topic: Now Washing My Hands Contributes to Global Warming?  (Read 1889 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Now Washing My Hands Contributes to Global Warming?
« on: December 29, 2013, 10:16:36 AM »
I thought this was going to be a science-based article on hot vs cold water, but no, they decided to focus on how I'm destroying Mother Earth by washing my hands with hot water. I generally actually use cold water most of the time, but of course now I want to switch to using hot water most of the time.

Note to all you footie pajama wearing, hot chocolate drinking, androgynous nannies out their and all of similar ilk: When will you learn that the more you nag at me, and "educate" me in your "pat on the head"  condescending way, the less prone I will be to do what you're nagging about? Just shutup. Please.

http://io9.com/why-you-should-really-stop-washing-your-hands-with-hot-1489806560
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 10:54:31 AM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Re: Now Washing My Hands Contributes to Golbal Warming?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 10:25:34 AM »
We went to our zoo this past Friday for the Festival of Lights.  While we were there I had to use the restroom and the water that was coming out of the faucet was bone chilling cold.  I have to assume it is part of being green, as the had waterless urinals as well.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 10:36:49 AM »
We went to our zoo this past Friday for the Festival of Lights.  While we were there I had to use the restroom and the water that was coming out of the faucet was bone chilling cold.  I have to assume it is part of being green, as the had waterless urinals as well.

Yeah, where some of you guys live, screw washing in cold water in the Winter. I'd stay in front of the sink for the ten minutes it takes the pipes to warm up until I got water somewhere above the high 30's. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 10:41:10 AM »
Yeah, where some of you guys live, screw washing in cold water in the Winter. I'd stay in front of the sink for the ten minutes it takes the pipes to warm up until I got water somewhere above the high 30's. :)

This time of year, I would like it if the Golb got warmer  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 10:54:15 AM »
This time of year, I would like it if the Golb got warmer  :lol:

Yeah, yeah, fixed the typo. :P

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 04:00:24 PM »
Yeah, yeah, fixed the typo. :P

Can't, his fingers are stuck to the keyboards
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 04:14:42 PM »
Can't, his fingers are stuck frozen to the keyboards

FTFY.  ;)

And there are a couple of restaurants around here that have gone to that "To save precious resources, we only provide cold water."  I no longer patronize.  I'm not sure how that goes over with the Health department.  But I guess they have hot water for employees to wash with in a separate sink in the back.

Anyway, they no longer get my money.

Same with those that have those stupid sensors that are guaranteed to shut off the water when your hands are covered in suds and refuse to turn back on, no matter how much you wave them in front of it. 

Motion sensor towel dispenser?  Once I hear the motor kick in, I grab and pull until I have what I think is enough to dry my hands, Thankyoverymuch.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 04:20:34 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 06:06:57 PM »
FTFY.  ;)

Same with those that have those stupid sensors that are guaranteed to shut off the water when your hands are covered in suds and refuse to turn back on, no matter how much you wave them in front of it. 

Motion sensor towel dispenser?  Once I hear the motor kick in, I grab and pull until I have what I think is enough to dry my hands, Thankyoverymuch.

Yep, motion sensor soap dispenser (which usually succeeds dispensing some really perfumy soap), motion sensor faucet (which invariably fails to dispense water to remove the smelly soap) and motion sensor towel dispenser (which dispenses about 2 inches of towel) to attempt to remove the stinky soap you are stuck with, on your hands.

I've developed the ability to not pee on my hands, and if possible, not do anything which requires me to use the 2 inch wide, see through toilet paper they provide (if you're lucky).
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Now Washing My Hands Contributes to Global Warming?
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 06:50:11 PM »
Motion sensor paper towels leads me to use 3-4X the amount I would normally use.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re:
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 06:52:29 PM »
Your hands are dirtier than your dick anyway. Washing hands after peeing is for people who can't control their weiners
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re:
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 06:58:15 PM »
Your hands are dirtier than your dick anyway. Washing hands after peeing is for people who can't control their weiners

So, worsh you're hands before peeing  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 07:34:39 PM »
That story was very unsettling.  To get it back together I am going to take a long hot shower.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 07:45:11 PM »
I usually do wash my hands before peeing, they are often covered in grease, or metal dust, metal smoke, or something similarly nasty. The episode that got me to pay attention to this was when I had been cutting carbon fiber cloth.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 08:00:36 PM »
I usually do wash my hands before peeing, they are often covered in grease, or metal dust, metal smoke, or something similarly nasty. The episode that got me to pay attention to this was when I had been cutting carbon fiber cloth.

Nothin beats cutting fresh jalepenos and forgetting to wash up before peeing. You only do it once

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2013, 08:43:13 PM »

The cold keeps away hippies!   =D

edited post!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 08:53:03 PM by dm1333 »

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2013, 09:05:47 PM »
When i was a kid ,I was helping my grandfather, clean up he's land.

I got Poison Oak on my my junk!  :facepalm:

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2013, 09:22:53 PM »
Nothin beats cutting fresh jalepenos and forgetting to wash up before peeing. You only do it once

This, I'm afraid is 100% accurate.  Burns for hours.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2013, 10:00:49 PM »
There is palliative remedy. Soak the injured member in a jar of ice water. Hard to do at work

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re:
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2013, 10:29:58 PM »
There is palliative remedy. Soak the injured member in a jar of ice water. Hard to do at work

Thread drift: golbal warming to ice fetish in one page  =D

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2013, 11:57:16 PM »
FTFY.  ;)

And there are a couple of restaurants around here that have gone to that "To save precious resources, we only provide cold water."  I no longer patronize.  I'm not sure how that goes over with the Health department.  But I guess they have hot water for employees to wash with in a separate sink in the back.

Anyway, they no longer get my money.

Yeah, fight the good fight for our hot-water rights, man. You go.  :P

I don't know why they started putting water heaters in public restrooms, anyway, unless they're expecting people to shower and/or shave in there. If a business owner can reduce overhead by eliminating such, more power to him.

Most motion-sensor towel dispensers work alright, and dispense a decent amount of product. It's much better than having to touch the blessed thing, or the hot-air gizmos.

Still, I agree that they are only third best. First and second-best options are the models that dispense another sheet, as soon as the first sheet is ripped off; and the old, gravity-feed, tri-fold towels. Not necessarily in that order. The only drawback of the tri-folds is that the person filling it has to know how to do it right. Just don't jam too many towels in the dispenser, and it's dead reliable.

Can you tell I've spent too much time tending/repairing paper-towel dispensers?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2013, 12:25:12 AM »
I long for the return of the cloth roll hand dryer. Found one and used it ca. 2004, I was shocked, hadn't seen one in 15 years.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2013, 01:23:28 AM »
It would appear that the folks who write the building codes haven't gotten the memo. Cold water only for lavatories is a violation of the plumbing code.

Just about every jurisdiction in the country uses some version if the International Building Code series. The most recent is the 2012 edition, and the 2012 International Plumbing Code has this to say:

SECTION 607

HOT WATER SUPPLY SYSTEM

607.1 Where required. In residential occupancies, hot water
shall be supplied to plumbing fixtures and equipment utilized
for bathing, washing, culinary purposes, cleansing, laundry or
building maintenance. In nonresidential occupancies, hot
water shall be supplied for culinary purposes, cleansing,
laundry or building maintenance purposes. In nonresidential
occupancies, hot water or tempered water shall be supplied
for bathing and washing purposes.

Where they use italics, that indicates that the italicized word or term is defined in the code. The definition of "tempered water" is:

TEMPERED WATER. Water having a temperature range
between 85°F (29°C) and 110°F (43°C).

In other words ... "warm."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re:
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2013, 03:01:55 AM »

hand cleaner works. Gojo or the like. After processing a largish batch of hot peppers many years ago I thoroughly washed my hands with soap and water before taking a seat. I learned the error of my ways soon after completing the paper work part of that. Job. One lesson was enough for me. My wife though... a couple of years ago I had a bumper crop of Anaheim peppers. She was going to work up a big wad of them. I told her wear gloves, I put the box of nitril gloves next to the kitchen sink, early that afternoon she calls me at work practically in tears. She didn't wear the gloves. Wanted to know where I had put my handcleaner.

Samuel Adams

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2013, 11:14:56 AM »

Thankfully, I've thus far been good on that.

I long for the return of the cloth roll hand dryer. Found one and used it ca. 2004, I was shocked, hadn't seen one in 15 years.

Uh. Yea, no. Unless it was replaced between customers, dear gods no. I'm not a germ nutball, but I don't intentionally expose myself to pathogens.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2013, 02:04:20 PM »
Company I used to work for installed the motion detector paper towel dispensor.  It spit out 6 inches of towel with a time lag to spit out another.

Micky Lu's BBQ in Marinette WI still has the old roller cloth towels..They also have killer Wisconsin style hamburgers.

I never noticed any problem peeing after cutting up hot pepers.  But, I am from Texas........chris3