Author Topic: I built a computer  (Read 1471 times)

ramis

• friend
  • Rawr!
I built a computer
« on: December 14, 2015, 06:28:33 PM »
Yeah, I know. Most of you are thinking, "so what, I've built several computers." But, I'm proud of myself and I wanna brag. The build went very well. Hardest part was pluging in all the tiny connectors for the power switch, reset switch, and LEDs on the front panel. Probably could have done a better job on cable management. I didn't use an anti static wrist strap, just grounded myself every time before touching anything, especially the motherboard. No carpets upstairs so there isn't much static buildup in the house anyway.

parts list

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jXhTGX

Windows 10
Plus a free 1TB western digital HHD from my brother in-law.

The limerick, peculiar to English,
Is a verse form that's hard to extinguish,
Once congress, in session,
Decreed it's suppression,
But people got around it by writing the last line without any rhyme or meter.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: I built a computer
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 06:34:39 PM »
Good job! It's always nice having a system that YOU picked all the parts for. Enjoy it!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 07:02:32 PM »
Cool!

I'm toying around with building a desktop myself, going weigh the costs of home built and factory built.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 07:10:28 PM »
Cool!

I'm toying around with building a desktop myself, going weigh the costs of home built and factory built.

Pretty hard these days to build a system that's much cheaper than what you can get from the factory, but for any price point, I think you can most always still build a better system. Plus you know where the parts were sourced from, and for those who've never done it, I think it's a great way to learn and to not be afraid of the innards, both for potential troubleshooting and future upgrades.

Used to be you could consistently build both much cheaper and much better.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 08:06:11 PM »
no water cooling? no neon or LED lights? plain jane case?

0/10 would not play Cawadooty on
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 09:27:29 PM »
Eh, I built roughly the same build, but technically with watercooling. Corsair H60, which is technically water cooling.  =D

I do recommend it.

Good build!
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 09:35:38 PM »
I was kidding.

Last one I built was about a year ago. I'll try to recall what I bought... hmm

I got an i5 (whichever one was the most complaint for OC at the time), an MSI gtx 870, Z87-GD65 mb, and liquid cooling (because I've never done it before, and this one was on sale for less than the CPU cooler I was going to buy
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 09:36:13 PM »
Pretty hard these days to build a system that's much cheaper than what you can get from the factory, but for any price point, I think you can most always still build a better system. Plus you know where the parts were sourced from, and for those who've never done it, I think it's a great way to learn and to not be afraid of the innards, both for potential troubleshooting and future upgrades.

Used to be you could consistently build both much cheaper and much better.

I know, it what I did for 17+ years before I got my latest job.

Uranus is a gas giant.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 10:00:57 PM »
I know, it what I did for 17+ years before I got my latest job.

Kind of takes some of the enjoyment out of building a computer at home when you just got home from 8+ hours of repairing/building computers.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

ramis

• friend
  • Rawr!
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 10:07:53 PM »
Cool!

I highly recommend using partpickerpc.com to put your computer together. https://pcpartpicker.com Another good website to keep your budget in check and your parts choices realistic is Logical Increment. http://www.logicalincrements.com/#!/

I probably didn't save any money. Like Ben said, it was more for me to understand how a computer goes together.

The limerick, peculiar to English,
Is a verse form that's hard to extinguish,
Once congress, in session,
Decreed it's suppression,
But people got around it by writing the last line without any rhyme or meter.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 10:57:43 PM »
Kind of takes some of the enjoyment out of building a computer at home when you just got home from 8+ hours of repairing/building computers.

Very true, I'm so glad I can say I was an IT person these days.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 12:30:14 AM »
I highly recommend using partpickerpc.com to put your computer together. https://pcpartpicker.com Another good website to keep your budget in check and your parts choices realistic is Logical Increment. http://www.logicalincrements.com/#!/

I probably didn't save any money. Like Ben said, it was more for me to understand how a computer goes together.

I just get a motherboard/CPU package deal from MicroCenter, and then get compatible RAM sticks.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2015, 12:52:20 AM »
You watch a lot of Linus Tech Tips and NCIX, don'cha... ha!

Nice build.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2015, 09:54:46 AM »
I hadn't built a computer in over a decade, when it was finally time to make Mrs. Dual a Photoshop workstation last year, and I had to do a build myself to make it even somewhat affordable. (Spent around $3000 on all top-shelf components) Asus Z-something motherboard, non electrolytic caps, high end power supply. EVGA brand nVidia graphics card that cost more than anything else in the computer. Intel i7, 64gb of whatever 4xWTFBBQ RAM that's the best, 500gb SSD for Windows and boot, mirrored RAID1 3TB drives for storage, 28" 4k monitor.

I was in shock how well it went, and that I was ready and able to install Windows on the very first boot. I didn't have to adjust or fix anything.  [tinfoil]

Quite the change from 22 years ago, when you'd spend all day putting the jumpers on the little circuit board that controlled the LED seven-segment Mhz "turbo" display for the "Hi" and "Lo" options, and if your case was a cheaper Chinese one, the jumpers didn't even bear any relationship to the "8" shapes the seven-segment displays mapped to, and your IDE drive would inevitably have the wrong Master/Slave/Cable-Select jumper setting.

And then IRQ's and EMM386 driver mappings in Config.sys and Autoexec.bat took another day or so. 
I promise not to duck.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2015, 10:08:23 AM »
Big deal.

If you want to hit it big time you have to build a clock.

Do it right and you can get invited to the White House  :P

(Good job, my next desktop may be a project build)
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2015, 12:31:05 PM »
I used to build my own all the time back when it saved ya a ton. These days I buy notebooks and toss them when they wear out (replacing the keyboard, HD and RAM as needed but if the screen or MB goes, meh).
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2015, 12:48:51 PM »

Couple of random thoughts for anyone buying a PC these days.

If you're not doing high end gaming, video editing or niche work:
The i5 is just as good as the i7 for routine tasks, especially considering the price difference.
240GB SSD seems like the sweet spot. Always get an SSD. They're reliable these days and most come with multi year warranties. If you need additional storage, get a platter drive.
Minimum of 8GB of RAM will do most stuff these days, most motherboards can't handle more than 32 gigs of RAM. Upgrading later is dirt simple and easy.
The onboard graphics these days is comparable to high end graphics cards of four years ago. When I built a media PC, I didn't put a graphics card in it and the i5 handled BluRay/1080p TV perfectly.
Watercooling can come in a sealed single component system these days. No mucking about needed, and it's very quiet.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2015, 12:51:48 PM »
Big deal.

If you want to hit it big time you have to build a clock.

Do it right and you can get invited to the White House  :P

(Good job, my next desktop may be a project build)

<obama voice> You didn't build that. </obama voice>
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2015, 01:30:22 PM »
<obama voice> You didn't build that. </obama voice>

In that case, he was actually correct. I don't claim to know the details of motivation and all the rest, just commenting about the 'build'.

Aside from undoing the screws, here's the whole process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHk_6Vh4Qeo

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2015, 01:37:38 PM »
For those who kept up over the years, is AMD still a better CPU for the price point than Intel
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2015, 02:21:17 PM »
That is a good job for your first go.  

This is the baby I am working on. I was able to grab a handful of servers from my last job. They were being recycled because it was a test rack for the company using do power and it shorted out.  obly 1/4 of the rack was affected by the short.  I got tired of hearing the server fans in my office. The whine of those multiple little fans is horrendous so I removed the motherboard from the cramped server chassis.

I have been trying to figure out how to cool the CPUs better. Currently I have a fan resting on each heat sink pulling air from not only the CPUs but the ram.
 Very little clearance, an odd socket size, and little disposable income makes it difficult.

Specs:
2 - Quad core AMD 2.3GHz processors
64GB ram

Why: why not.

And I know that my cable management isn't as nice as yours..  I am switching out some of the hard drives so I have extra says cables in that pic.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 02:48:51 PM by J.J. »

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2015, 02:37:49 PM »
For those who kept up over the years, is AMD still a better CPU for the price point than Intel

With a low budget you can still find bargains that AMD beats Intel, and AMD's on board graphics are reportedly better, but if you're willing to spend more than $150 on a CPU and plan on a graphics board anyway, Intel is the only choice.

I built a new box a couple months ago, used an AMD A8-7600 65w/45w, ASUS A88XM-A, 8gb DDR3-2133, BX100 250gb SSD, and put it all in an InWin BL040 slim case, and the total was just under $300.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 06:24:02 PM by bedlamite »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2015, 04:44:43 PM »
AMD's of comparable computing power tend to run hotter, sometimes much hotter. And despite actually running cooler and having a lower voltage etc. the Intel's, especially Haswel i7's onward actually can handle higher peak temperatures, so can get by with smaller stock cooling units.

All in all, it doesn't really matter much, however some of AMD's price point gets eaten up by aftermarket cooler units.

I would never buy AMD in a laptop though. If you ever use it on a couch or a bed, it'll suffer automatic heat shutdowns frequently.
I promise not to duck.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2015, 05:37:16 PM »
Couple of random thoughts for anyone buying a PC these days.

If you're not doing high end gaming, video editing or niche work:
The i5 is just as good as the i7 for routine tasks, especially considering the price difference.
240GB SSD seems like the sweet spot. Always get an SSD. They're reliable these days and most come with multi year warranties. If you need additional storage, get a platter drive.
Minimum of 8GB of RAM will do most stuff these days, most motherboards can't handle more than 32 gigs of RAM. Upgrading later is dirt simple and easy.
The onboard graphics these days is comparable to high end graphics cards of four years ago. When I built a media PC, I didn't put a graphics card in it and the i5 handled BluRay/1080p TV perfectly.
Watercooling can come in a sealed single component system these days. No mucking about needed, and it's very quiet.

The i5 is just as good as the i7 for most gaming tasks too. Saved me a ton whch I then put into a better video card (much better use of the money).

too bad my currently most played game is 32 bit and DX9... so much of the extra HP is wasted :-D
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2015, 06:03:50 PM »
The i5 is just as good as the i7 for most gaming tasks too. Saved me a ton whch I then put into a better video card (much better use of the money).

too bad my currently most played game is 32 bit and DX9... so much of the extra HP is wasted :-D

All things being equal with lower to medium-end Intel graphics chipsets, granted the ones that come in laptops, but there's noticeable lag in my kid's minecraft adventures on the ones who have i7 cast-off laptops from work and one who has a commercial loss-leader Dell i5.
I promise not to duck.