Author Topic: Pay per mile rather than the state gas tax  (Read 2794 times)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: Pay per mile rather than the state gas tax
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2017, 11:24:26 PM »
The only other question I would mention is who causing the real wear and tear on the roads?  Is my F150 pickup really putting wear and tear on the roads?  If you compare it to the heavy dump trucks and 18 wheelers, I don't think so.

Of course it's putting wear on the roads, and more than a lighter vehicle.  How much, though, depends on the road design.

So, spend more to design a road to handle max weight big rigs, and it'll take less wear from pickups.  Spend less on a residential street that shouldn't see more than a few large commercial vehicles a year, and it'll be torn up by pickups in a decade or two.  Otherwise, residential streets in places where frost heave isn't an issue would last 50+ years with no maintenance.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Re: Pay per mile rather than the state gas tax
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2017, 10:45:15 PM »
I tried one of those nanny-boxes to get a discount on my auto insurance -- Hartford, but I think other companies have this option.

After on-line review of my record, I could not understand how they derived some of the "ding" points on the computer record.  Even normal driving practices resulted in an "aggressive driving" ding.  Now, listen, I haven't had a ticket in well over 25 years, and only one accident where somebody rear-ended me in stop-and-go traffic (he was talking on his cell phone).

That kind of makes me the safe driving poster boy, I guess.  About thirty years ago I learned to drive, as opposed to merely operating a vehicle with consummate

So I analyzed some of the "hard braking" "dings," and it turned out decelerations greater than only 7 mph per second got you a finger-shaking from their computers.  

Hey, a safe moderately hard stop with nobody behind you on a yellow light dings you?

There were other totally outrageous "dings" I started to correlate with my actual trips at the stated times.  For a while I wondered who had stolen my car and roared around town and then put it back in my parking space.

Specific example? One Saturday trip to the grocery store, where I had to cruise around the parking lot looking for a space, resulted in several "hard turn" and "too many starts and stops" "aggressive driving" offenses.

The real offense there was my stupidity in going shopping on a Saturday.

I got off that discount program within three weeks and sent the nanny box back with a very diplomatic and "Safe For Work" note describing in particulars and details how ridiculous their "safe driving" parameters were.

My conclusion was that driving as required within the nanny box parameters would result in creating hazards simply because you could not conform to other drivers' expectations while operating within those parameters.

Terry, 230RN

Great info 230! I knew there had to be a catch!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G