Author Topic: Should Vang Po get to be buried at Arlington?  (Read 5541 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Should Vang Po get to be buried at Arlington?
« on: February 07, 2011, 11:46:37 AM »
http://www.fresnobee.com/2011/01/10/2226238/committee-forms-to-plan-vang-pao.html#disqus_thread

Much hmong-hating in the comments, and around the interwebz there is furious debate over the family's request that he be buried at Arlington.

Personally, I'm conflicted.  There are a number of non-military servers buried there, as well as a number of non-USA soldiers who rest there.  Some did more, others less, than he did both personally and politically.  If I'm leaning in any direction at the moment, it is not in support of the request, but to encourage them to create an honored place elsewhere.

What fails for me are the dual arguments that all hmong deserve special consideration because of the former and current oppression/ethnic cleansing and that refusing to bury him at Arlington is more proof that the current administration is failing to show support to [former] military allies.

stay safe.

If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Should Vang Po get to be buried at Arlington?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 03:58:23 PM »
I think the US SpecOps community would be the best folks to weigh in on this one.  If they respect Po, then he should be green-lighted to rest at Arlington.  They have the greatest claim on Arlington over any of the rest of us, and have the most direct ability to vouch for his worthiness to rest at such a site.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 05:02:40 PM »
I have little knowlwdge about Arlington.

I was unaware that one had to voted in to be buried.

Always thought that military service was enough.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 11:23:59 PM »
I think the US SpecOps community would be the best folks to weigh in on this one.  If they respect Po, then he should be green-lighted to rest at Arlington.  They have the greatest claim on Arlington over any of the rest of us, and have the most direct ability to vouch for his worthiness to rest at such a site.

+1....if he's earned their respect, then he's earned his spot....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 11:50:40 PM »
I have little knowlwdge about Arlington.

I was unaware that one had to voted in to be buried.

Always thought that military service was enough.

To be buried at Arlington:

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.mil/funeral_information/guide.interment.html

Synopsis:  KIA, POW, honorable discharge, winner of a distinguished medal (CMOH, distinguished service cross, distinguished service medal, silver star, purple heart), POTUS, or a widow or dependent of someone else buried at Arlington.

There are only 2 dozen foreign nationals resting at Arlington.  They have to be approved by the VA board that handles such things.

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/foreignn.htm

Update:  The request was denied.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110204/ap_on_re_us/us_vang_pao_memorial
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 06:27:25 AM »
amazing that this guy was buried there:

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/mariobat.htm

But Vang Po was denied.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 08:11:56 AM »
To be buried at Arlington:

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.mil/funeral_information/guide.interment.html

Synopsis:  KIA, POW, honorable discharge, winner of a distinguished medal (CMOH, distinguished service cross, distinguished service medal, silver star, purple heart), POTUS, or a widow or dependent of someone else buried at Arlington.

There are only 2 dozen foreign nationals resting at Arlington.  They have to be approved by the VA board that handles such things.

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/foreignn.htm

Update:  The request was denied.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110204/ap_on_re_us/us_vang_pao_memorial

Not entirely true.  Still have to meet other qualifications.  As far as I know, I'm not eligile, for instance. 

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 08:17:31 AM »
Yeah, unless you meet the award criteria, you have to be retired. Serve 4 and get out, without meeting any of the POW/award criteria, and you can't get in.

Of course, if you die on active duty, you can.

For reservists, you gotta be drawing your retirement pay. Usually age 60, but you can back that off for every year of title 10/32 mobilization.
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 08:44:24 AM »
amazing that this guy was buried there:

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/mariobat.htm

But Vang Po was denied.

Yeah....but, if you serve with the Iralian Army, you're a shoo-in....  ;/
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 09:10:50 AM »
Yeah, unless you meet the award criteria, you have to be retired. Serve 4 and get out, without meeting any of the POW/award criteria, and you can't get in.

Of course, if you die on active duty, you can.

For reservists, you gotta be drawing your retirement pay. Usually age 60, but you can back that off for every year of title 10/32 mobilization.

But John Murtha qualifies.... :facepalm:

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »
yeah... lame huh?
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

CSM Kersh

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 09:30:22 AM »
Burial at Arlington is typically reserved for those with direct U.S. military service, although exceptions are sometimes granted. Gen. Vang commanded men in the field and worked closely with U.S. Special Forces and Central Intelligence Agency officers during the Vietnam War

The General had to flee his country because of his service with the US forces in Nam.  In my book, he deserves a place at Arlington National Cemetery.
Sam A. Kersh
NRA Patron
csmkersh@thegunnerslair.com
My Web Page
When Seconds count the police are only minutes away.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 01:09:33 PM »
The General had to flee his country because of his service with the US forces in Nam.  In my book, he deserves a place at Arlington National Cemetery.

Agreed
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 01:13:35 PM »
They have the greatest claim on Arlington over any of the rest of us, and have the most direct ability to vouch for his worthiness to rest at such a site.

I don't get this.  Is the death of a spec ops soldier somehow more of a tragedy to the country and their family than a regular military death?  They would know Vang the best, but I don't think they have any more claim of the national cemetery than any other group.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 01:18:03 PM by 41magsnub »

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 01:28:24 PM »
I don't get this.  Is the death of a spec ops soldier somehow more of a tragedy to the country and their family than a regular military death?  They would know Vang the best, but I don't think they have any more claim of the national cemetery than any other group.

Those SpecOps guys are veterans that are most likely to earn purple hearts, be lifers in the armed services, and earn special commendations.  Yes, the SpecOps guys probably do have the greatest claim on Arlington because they're the most likely to meet those criteria than a guy who does a 4-year stint and then moves on with his life in the private sector.

That, and they are the ones that would have worked with General Pao and know his contributions to the American war effort in Vietnam better than some putz like me that wasn't even born then, and never served.
--Lysander Spooner

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2011, 01:49:06 PM »
When it becomes the national special forces cemetery I'll buy that, otherwise all folks who meet the requirements have equal claim.  Per capita sure the specs ops people are more likely to meet those requirements, but it is offensive to the regular military folks who also met those requirements to suggest that another group has more claim than they do.

That, and they are the ones that would have worked with General Pao and know his contributions to the American war effort in Vietnam better than some putz like me that wasn't even born then, and never served.

Never said otherwise on this.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2011, 03:30:48 PM »
i hate to ask  how many, if any, vets on the va board that makes the decision
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I